Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2001, 10:49:00 PM »
I grew up in a smoking household. My mother smoked as did my dad. He died at age 44 due to complications from TB but not smoke related. My mom quit but an uncle didn't I had to watch him deteriorate due to emphasima (sp). It wasn't pleasant watching someone you care about slowly suffocate to death.

I smoked a bit, mostly a pipe or cigar but just didn't get into it. If the smoke tasted like pipe tobacco smells I'd be a freaking chimney.

I pretty much let it go if anyone smoked around me until my wife got cancer. The chemo make her ultra sensitive. Since I spent so much time with her the chemicals she got through her system started to affect me too and my senitivity increased noticably. I could live with it but m wife really has a hard time breathing even outdoors near a smoker. She doesn't want to be sensitive about it but she has no choice. We limit where we go if there is any smoking going on. If we have to we leave.

1776, I agree with ya, she was an idiot for phrasing it in that way. You will likely have a sale later with someone else. Don't let it get to ya.  :)

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2001, 11:00:00 PM »
People that don't smoke often get a wild bug up their tulips when they are 'confronted' with second hand smoke.

Most of 'em have other nasty habits of their own like 'jogging' and 'tree hugging'.

I suggest wearing a fur coat, smoking a big fat Havana seeegar and wearing alligator shoes whilst strolling thru Jack La Lanes enquiring about group smoker accomodations.

Don't forget to ask about whale meat sandwiches in the snak bar.

You'll feel MUCH better soon after Oz.

I know I did.  :D
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Smoking
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2001, 12:11:00 AM »
What the hell are you talking about guys? Nobody is offended or cares that you smoke or passes the moral judgement on you any more then they pass moral moral judgement on people eating candies and geting fat.

Big brother has made it illegal to smoke in a lot of places.  Big brother has sponsored roadkill medical studies which show that "second hand smoke kill" zillions of people.  It's now illegal in California to smoke in bars or even outdoors at sporting events.  Big brother has sued the pants off the tobacco companies.  There a lot of people in this country who confuse illegal with immoral, and since a lot of things regarding smoking have been made illegal, they are viewed by many as immoral.

The same thing is happening with firearms.

It will soon happen with candy and cheeseburgers, as soon as socialized medicine becomes all-encompassing.  "How dare you eat that cheeseburger.  Don't you know that you are increasing your medical risks and costing the taxpayers money!"  I expect we will see an approved list of foods similar to the approved list of drugs we have now.  Big brother loves to punish victimless crimes.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Smoking
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2001, 05:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by miko2d:
If your balcony is not close to someone else's window, you can turm on loud music, light a cigarette, rub yourself with a skunk oil and immolate yourself for all anybody cares...
[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Of course there wouldn't be that kind of exceptions in the law. Anyway the only use for balconys in this climate is smoking and when you  rarely see someone in a balcony he/she is smoking. I do agree with most of the laws but some of them are just ridiculous and incredibly expensive to follow.

Smoking is btw pretty harmless if compared to masturbation. :) http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/2680/

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Smoking
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2001, 06:27:00 AM »
I'm sorry Swamp - there's nothing. Just plan on it being tough for a week. :/   - unless you wanted to try the nicotine patch... might be worth a try if you think you need it.

The amounts of nicotine that you (and I) became accustomed to would be enough to put a non-user on the floor. I think the addiction is that much harder to break than ciggys.

You can do it though... just turn that switch in your brain and its over. Then all you have to do is go through the suffering for a week or so. I don't think there is any way around it.

<S> and best wishes   :)

Just read Tah Gut's post about Welbutrin. I remember somebody telling me recently about a friend who used Welbutrin successfully to quit a long time cigarette habit. I don't know how it works, but it sounds promising.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
Just read Tah Gut's post about Welbutrin. I remember somebody telling me recently about a friend who used Welbutrin successfully to quit a long time cigarette habit. I don't know how it works, but it sounds promising.

my understanding is that welbutrin is an antidepressant that was first used in Veterans hospitals. It not only aided in depression, but users began to report that it made quitting the nicotine habit much easier. It is claimed to have a success rate of about 70%.
I was prescribed the stuff and began getting it into my system for about 3 weeks. The idea is to get your body used to the drug. Then you set a date when you will quit. I chose a friday (night), because I could better control what happens over the weekend. The first 2 days were not too bad, but my family basically allowed mee to do whatever, including staying in bed all day feeling sorry for myself.
That was in April 2000, and I've been nicotine free since. I do have to say though, I still get the urge to light one up every so often. Cursed things.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Smoking
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2001, 11:23:00 AM »
Sold the house today for more then I expected to a non-smoker.  The guy spent 2 hours looking around and made the offer today :)  Now my next step is to get rid of all the crap I have aquired over my life that appear meaningless now.  It's amazing the stuff you buy and hold onto through your life.  As I am moving to a retirement studio apartment I am going to get a nice TV, easy chair, and a computer corner.  I think I will be set then.  When I get tired of playing AH I can watch TV :)

Life is good :)

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Smoking
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2001, 11:24:00 AM »
Damn OZ havent ever seen you this piss of sence first met you in AWIII. Now put this anger to good use and turn it on that cancer. Keep on smoking and tell em how it is.

Heres ons for you I live on a corner lot and now own a boat I had it parked on the side of my house alittle tpwards the front yard and was told it was in my front yard. I had to move it from my side yard farther back on the same side yard to make it look like it was in the back yard. Does it make a difference where it is parked if it is still visable from the street.

you ever try to typr with a cat on your lap, I now know how hangtime felt with hairball.  :cool:

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
Smoking
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2001, 11:27:00 AM »
Have 2 cats myself :)  Lucky is always on my lap when I'm on the puter :)

Geez, is your boat that ugly?  Who complained?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
Cigarette smoke permeates everything. I’ve passed on buying used cars simply because of the distinct stale odor of cigarette smoke that will always be there for a non-smoker.

I smoked when I was young for a few years and I can tell you for certain that a smoker cannot appreciate how offensive cigarette odor can be to a non-smoker.

I’d never interfere with someone’s right to smoke so long as I don’t have to breath the smoke. But I also don’t want to pick up the medical bill (through Medicare, Medicaid, or increased health insurance premiums) for smoking related health problems.

Your best bet is to take Yul Brynner's advice.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
Smoking
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
"I’d never interfere with someone’s right to smoke so long as I don’t have to breath the smoke. But I also don’t want to pick up the medical bill (through Medicare, Medicaid, or increased health insurance premiums) for smoking related health problems"

If you really feel that way regarding the "health care cost" then you would agree that all smokers shouldn't pay Social Security Tax. Because they will never live long enough to have the exact same benefits as non-smokers.  It's only fair,right?  And that is your objective that all get the same benefits, right?  No more and no less then anyone else,right?

Now, what the heck are going to do with all the fat people, the beer drinkers, cell phone users?  Don't their choices increase health care costs too?

I don't think others should have to  pick up your healthcare costs because you jog during rush hour and deeply inhale exhoust fumes.  

Perhaps you should stand in front of a mirror and you will see the real problem of health care cost.(you are human)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
Are you seriously relating fat people and cell phone users to smokers? Beer drinkers maybe but come on, winging it here, I doubt drinking beer causes 1/10th the health problems that smoking does.

How many people do you think choose to be fat? Or is smoking not something you choose to do? If that's the case then you really should seek help.

If you think there isn’t an epidemic of serious health problems caused by smoking then you’re in denial.

Social Security? If ya haven't noticed it is used to subsidize Medicaid. Maybe smokers should pay a bigger share.

I’m all for personal liberties. So long as I don’t have to pay for (IMO) your foolish choices.

We’ll never see eye-to-eye on this but my right to comment is as free as your right to smoke.

Originally posted by 1776:
"I’d never interfere with someone’s right to smoke so long as I don’t have to breath the smoke. But I also don’t want to pick up the medical bill (through Medicare, Medicaid, or increased health insurance premiums) for smoking related health problems"

If you really feel that way regarding the "health care cost" then you would agree that all smokers shouldn't pay Social Security Tax. Because they will never live long enough to have the exact same benefits as non-smokers.  It's only fair,right?  And that is your objective that all get the same benefits, right?  No more and no less then anyone else,right?

Now, what the heck are going to do with all the fat people, the beer drinkers, cell phone users?  Don't their choices increase health care costs too?

I don't think others should have to  pick up your healthcare costs because you jog during rush hour and deeply inhale exhoust fumes.  

Perhaps you should stand in front of a mirror and you will see the real problem of health care cost.(you are human)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Smoking
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »
I consider being alive a health risk.  Its bound to get me killed, sooner or later.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
Smoking
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
AKIron, I'm sure we can find somthing you do that cost us all in additional taxes.  Are you one of the fat ones?  Do you ever have a drink of booze? Are you of low income and eat incorrectly?  Have you ever had a McDonald's?  I'm positive that you are a burden to the healthcare cost of us all :(  Name one human being that isn't eventually going to cost us all?  Now you know why the Liberal Democrats hit such a home run with their healthccare platform.  They can always isolate a small group and blame them for the "additional costs" and tax the heck out of it.  Like sheep to the slaughter people fall for their insane ideas :(  We each should be paying for our own health care.  If we did it would become affordable again like it was when I was a child.  No need for insurance.  Hospitals locally controled by the community they serve.  We have lost so much since the government has "helped".

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Smoking
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
Im with easymo been dieing now for 41 years just waiting for to happen is all.  :cool: