Author Topic: rams??  (Read 2073 times)

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
rams??
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2005, 08:40:46 PM »
Originally posted by TracerX
...To test this, get a buddy, and go to the dueling arena and try to run into each other without shooting.  You might be suprised to notice how many times your buddy says, I missed, but you go spiraling down without your right wing because your at HO's.  :D

Edbert, try the above experiment and it will become clear to you.  It should not be hard to have both of you collide if you both try to hit each other, but then have your buddy try to miss the collision at the last moment, and see how often you collide and he survives.  Have him record what he sees, or switch rolls and then you will understand.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
rams??
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »
Hey Edbert..Im in the same boat. We should hook up and film some stuff going nose to nose. See what each of us see. Try some slighjy off nose. Basically film what the other guy is seeing and the see the results.

~AoM~

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
rams??
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2005, 09:16:21 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Hey Edbert..Im in the same boat. We should hook up and film some stuff going nose to nose. See what each of us see. Try some slighjy off nose. Basically film what the other guy is seeing and the see the results.

That's not a bad idea...

(and apologies to Dale if I came accross as offensive)

...but I am not having collisions in a HO situation since I avoid them at all times. My collisions are usually more like a canopy-to-canopy type, or as Killnu described when I get rammed from behind (stop it hub...NOW!) by a B&Zer. Rolling scissors get me a lot too, I'll see a potential collision coming and do a hard break off to avoid while the guy pulls right into me and I'm dead while he flies off (I understand that my FE "saw" the hit part, but if you look at the flight path on film you can see who "tried" to evade and who continued the collision course).

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
rams??
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2005, 11:31:46 AM »
Edbert,

THe missing component in your thinking is that he may have seen no reason to evade as on his FE there wasn't going to be a collision.  You are suggesting that he be punished for not evading something that wasn't going to happen.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
rams??
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2005, 11:41:13 AM »
So what I need to do it go to the DA and film some guns-off collisions and determine where (close behind I presume) I need to fly in relation to my enemy so I can hit him where he isn't and start "winning" some collisions for a change. I am pretty sure that is what happens to me some of the time.

Sounds like a terrible way to play to me, but I understand there's no way to both allow collisions AND avoid someone feeling cheated by the results no matter what implementation we have. Like I said earlier, I've learned to deal with it as just another feature of the game, it happens once per tour or so, and I'm not really wrapped up in it, probably should not have joined the thread either :D

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
rams??
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2005, 11:48:47 AM »
you know edbert, you just have to not get so close to the enemies. there's a reason HT made the lazer .50's and Hizookas :D  :rofl ;)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
rams??
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2005, 11:56:55 AM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
you know edbert, you just have to not get so close to the enemies. there's a reason HT made the lazer .50's and Hizookas :D  :rofl ;)

LOL, but my gunnery sucks worse than my ACM (as if that were possible)!

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
rams??
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2005, 12:37:38 PM »
these explanations are fine....why not just turn off the collision model altogether? It seems there are major issues with it..hitech you basicaly proved that the current model due to various reasons is unfair to both parties. Speaking of which...if collisions arent seen the same on both ends..how can bullets even score hits regularly? I beleive the code "estimates" where the plane will be right? (if so is this modeled in collisions?)

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
rams??
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2005, 12:41:46 PM »
Yes, do away with the collisions.

I just want to fly inside the enemy b24s to shoot them down, their guns cant reach me there :)))).

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
rams??
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2005, 12:44:29 PM »
how can bullets even score hits regularly? I beleive the code "estimates" where the plane will be right? (if so is this modeled in collisions?)

This ain't a frickin IQ test people.

It's all about what you see on your computer.

If you are firing your guns and they hit the enemy on your screen, it's going to send info to your target telling him he's been hit.

However, since the planes might not be in the very exact position in the air on either computer, a collision is only given to the person who sees it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
rams??
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2005, 12:52:31 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
You should try smothing code in 3 time realities some time.

HiTech

uh...what?

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
rams??
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2005, 01:08:05 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
uh...what?

time 1: user client
time 2: enemy client (planes other than yours)
time 3: server time for logging events

try to sync all of them up with varying times of packet arrival
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
rams??
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2005, 01:26:55 PM »
So what I need to do it go to the DA and film some guns-off collisions and determine where (close behind I presume) I need to fly in relation to my enemy so I can hit him where he isn't and start "winning" some collisions for a change.

In a tail chase situation, it would be "Close ahead" of the enemy.

2nd every enemy would have a slightly different lag. So diffent spot for everyone.

3rd distance would change based on how fast you are both flying.

So it is technicly possible to do, but if you can get to that position, it would be much easyier to get behind them and kill them.

HiTech

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
rams??
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2005, 02:01:21 PM »
Let me start by saying that I do believe the explanation given by HT.  The thing I don't understand is why am I the one seeing the colision 90% of the time?  I understand that the other guy did not see it.  My question is why am I seeing it most of the time and he does not.  It is really frustrating some times.  Couple of nights ago I found my self in a 3 on 1 vs a LA, TYFF, and a Yack.  The Tyff and Yack went down fast but the lala was stuck on my 6.  However, it turned out he was out of ammo so he kept trying to ram me.  Eventually he succeded and I lost a wing but he flew away.  Why is it that the guy that tried to ram me did not see the colision and me that was trying to avoid it see it?  This is what I dont understand.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
rams??
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2005, 02:15:01 PM »
My question is why am I seeing it most of the time and he does not

How do you know this is the case?

If we are talking about head on passes, it is simply that you are not breaking off in time, like most people do.

One thing I have been wanting to put in the host  is to send a text message when someone collides with you, so you then would know when it happens. I believe this would stop the perception where everone belives they are the one who always dies in a collision.