Author Topic: Is the U-2 still used?  (Read 539 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« on: September 19, 2001, 09:37:00 PM »
From CNN: "Among the aircraft being deployed are F-15E and F-16 fighters and B-52 bombers. Also likely to be deployed will be support planes such as AWACS and others that can track objects and vehicles on the ground, and U-2 planes that can provide military surveillance."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2001, 09:42:00 PM »
Yes, the U-2 is stil used.

Its role is more of battlefield survailence than strategic intelligence now.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
Absolutely, the U2's are still flying. So are a few other 'old' eyeballs in our inventory.

On a side note; it's about time somebody on the hill slpapped a clamp on the fediddlein press blabbing about what we're puttin in the field. The other side reads the paper too.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2001, 10:34:00 PM »
The U2 is used often.  Its usually used in a low air-defense threat environment, but it is still used.  Nothing does what it can do as efficiently.

On a side note; it's about time somebody on the hill slpapped a clamp on the fediddlein press blabbing about what we're puttin in the field. The other side reads the paper too.

LOL Hangtime!  You musta forgot all that naval coverage and amphibious assault practice footage that old Schwartzkof "allowed" the media to display just prior to the major army push.  The military is well aware of what the media is (and more to the point... is not) showing.

AKDejaVu

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2001, 10:49:00 PM »
yes it is, we have them staitoned on the west coast, in southwest asia, and in Europe.

I was stationed at one particular place and the model we had there was actually called the TR-1.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2001, 01:37:00 AM »
the "retired" blackbird is still being used but i'm not allowed to say by who

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2001, 01:45:00 AM »
Of course there are those rumors about the scramjet powered Aurora.  We never learn about the secret aircraft untill 10 years after they're being used.  I actually prefer it this way too.  Secret weapons are always nice to have.

Hans.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by john9001:
the "retired" blackbird is still being used but i'm not allowed to say by who

The SR71 is not in the AF inventory for intel gathering, however space command uses the thing, if I recall..
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Gtoraii

• Zinc Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
I vaguely remember hearing congress made the air force put like 5 SR-71s back in service?  I do not remember where I heard this, anyone hear anything similar?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
Air & Space (a smithsonian publication,..which if you do not get, you should, it is great) reported on the restirement of the SR-71.
They inhereited 6 of the Blackbirds.  They hard started the restoration of one of them for the museum when the Air Force recalled the other 5.
They are not currently listed in active duty and there is no appropriations from the government to keep them flying.  That was the last official word about them that I have been able to find.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
SR-71's are just phenominal.  I seriously wonder if the aviation development/innovations of the 50's will ever be matched.

AKDejaVu

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Is the U-2 still used?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2001, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.