Author Topic: why AH dosn't "feel" like flying... turn off the friggin autopilot  (Read 2776 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
why AH dosn't "feel" like flying... turn off the friggin autopilot
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2000, 03:08:00 AM »
Hehe - Cessna  . Just put down a deposit for a share in a CT microlight. Delivery in early Feb. It's not a high performance plane but it's surely perkier than any stupid Cessna  . Much lower running costs too...

CT microlight

p.s Sorry Cit - didn't mean to h/j your thread. I use autotrim out of lazyness and when going to the bathroom . Never use Combat Trim...

[This message has been edited by -lynx- (edited 12-15-2000).]

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2000, 06:33:00 AM »
Hey Lynx  

Gotta say that i safed the life of one guy fling THAT CT-M thing...  

I was sitting standby waiting for the next tow, when he turned onto the runway .. while he turned there was a big fluid splash down his wing .. he took off right after .. i called on the radio and said he better reland and check his Fuel cap (he refueld 10 mins before)...
He did a VERY tight pattern and relanded, we found he'd lost the fuel cap and had about 1/2 liter of fuel remaining in the open tank (of 50 liters..)

OOpps sorry for going with the hijack  

DW6

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2000, 07:00:00 AM »
Like DA98 I too downloaded the R4D. It is a great experience. I really like the "flying" aspect of flight sims more than the "combat" aspect of them. Probably why my score is so low  .

I agree with Cit though, you can "feel" this excellent FM best when flying with manual trim. I use auto pilot and combat trim too. I am using combat trim less and less lately but I find it usefull on the occasion (quite often) that I get bounced unexpectedly. It gives me time to do something in reasonable trim without the hastles of trimming it out to defend myself.

Personaly I would like to have more engine managment controls to play with. That R4D that DA98 mentioned has a full realistic start up sequence and shutdown that really endear the plane to me. I have some stick time in various AC, favorite among them is the Aeronca Champ, but am not licensed and I fly my puter instead. Can't justify the expense, so I look for my viscarial thrills in flight sims.

Only real thing that bothers me much about the existing engine management we have is the way you can increase prop pitch without the subsequent increase in manifold pressure. I would also like to see a realistic mixture control.

Good post Cit

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2000, 10:05:00 AM »
eskimo,

I noticed a long time ago that the subtle variations in aircraft dynamics with autopilot off sure reminded me of real flying in a single engine plane.  I once asked Whitey about this and he said he never used autopilot.

So Cita is right. I've tried it from time to time but usually I have to "go conference", get a snack, answer the phone, answer CINC HOUSE (wife) or some other distraction.. so on comes the autopilot.  

delta

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2000, 10:12:00 AM »
Hey Cit and everyone:

Well, as you can see from my BD-5 pictured earlier, its almost done.  I have to ship it off to Oregon where they'll paint it, install the turbo-prop engine, prop, electronics and all the other things that make it fly.  I've had to settle for sitting in the cockpit making airplane noises for too long!  I can't wait to hear the turbine whine...many ask why not the jet version of the BD-5.  One reason:  14 minutes of flying time.  Jets are thirsty!  I'll get 2-3 hours with the turbo prop and cruise at 250 or a bit more.

You mentioned twins, you are very lucky.  There isn't a lot up here to rent.  Just 30 year old Cessna's.  If I re-join the Civil Air Patrol I have access to their military-version C-172 (ok ok, stop laughing).  I think its a 1996 model, haven't flown the new Skyhawks yet.

My next airplane to build is the Viper (www.viper-aircraft.com).  

If you ever make it up to Maine in that twin and want company, look me up!  

Paul

Bangor, Maine