Author Topic: 190s  (Read 1331 times)

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
190s
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 12:20:52 PM »
It wasn't a bug, it was just the preferred fuel burn order.  I flew the A8 for my primary ride in AH1.  As a dedicated 190 guy, I burned the AFT tank first since that helped improve stability.  You still had plenty of fuel left.  So technically, everyone is correct.  The plane WILL fly better with less gas, however, you should burn the AFT tank first for better stability.  In AH2, HiTech put the AFT tank first, that way it was less confusing.

It's kinda the same argument in the P-47N.  If you take 75 or 100% fuel, the wings have fuel in them.  So, I take 50% and 1 (or 2) drop tanks.  That way, I don't have to worry about fuel in the wings.  If for some reason I DO have fuel in the wings, I always use Shift + F to burn the wing tanks first since that helps roll significantly.  Good luck with the 190!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
190s
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 06:18:42 PM »
The plane WILL fly better with less gas,

That was not what i was trying to get at.The 190 in particular when the fuel
is not even bothered with is very top heavy and does not want
to manuver well.By letting the fuel out of the front tank it allows the aircraft
too fly more smoothly.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
190s
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 06:41:37 PM »
Hi Autopilot,

So in other words, you burn the fuel from the front tank first to move the CG of the plane aft?  That makes sense.  Similarly, the P51 should have the aux tank burned first or it will be less stable.   I like the A5 as well.  As an aside, are there any 'items of note' or tips to landing the A5?  When I approach with full flaps and throttled back the plane gets unstable just before touchdown.

Regards,

Malta

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
190s
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 09:11:06 PM »
As an aside, are there any 'items of note' or tips to landing the A5? When I approach with full flaps and throttled back the plane gets unstable just before touchdown.

Yes.Hold down the spacebar as you are touching down so that the brakes are on while landing.It helps stabalize it and keeps it from bouncing.

The Ki-61-Tei is the same way and prolly IMHO the hardest aircraft in this
game to land.It bounces all over the place.

On a side note;

The A-5's flaps will not come at 250 MPH 15-K or lower.Try climbing up over
15-K and deploying flaps at around 230 MPH.Kinda  crazy it has combat flaps but only at 15-K or better.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 09:13:36 PM by AutoPilot »

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
190s
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 09:16:39 PM »
surely you dont want any mass at the back.   its better to be nose heavy in most planes when it comes to turn fighting, E fighting or even BnZ i would have though.  thats how i do it any how.....always burn wing tanks - aft tanks - main/fwd tanks in that order.

having fuel in the ings and tail is a good way to catch fire also.

ever noticed that a plane with wing tanks will set on fire from one direct 20mm hit to the tank?

try draining the wing tanks on a plane totaly dry, then see if you catch fire that sortie.

leaving even a drop of fuel in the wing tanks is going to seriously increase the fire risk in real life, and i always considered it to be the same in AH2.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 09:19:22 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
190s
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 11:03:13 AM »
i posted this in the landing section hoe it helps, applus to all planes not just the F4U we were talking about

1 more thing you can do to help is to raise your flaps back up all the way as soon as your ready to flare, that basically takes all the lift off of the wing and actually puts pressure on it ( pushing you down ). I usually come in riding full flaps and right as I flare or maybe just a split second after I do ( right b4 wheels touchdown ) I raise my flaps all the way back up and hit both brakes... I have never tumbled one yet or any plane for that matter, I use this method with any plane, also very usefull for cv landing if you don't have or miss the hook... Sometimes if I need to stop extra quick I'll turn off the engine as well... I would suggest doing some touch and go's practicing using flaps do dump the wing lift..... If you are leaving the flaps extended or down while trying to stop on the runway you are landing incorrectly. Because while you are trying to slow down the wings are still trying to lift the plane back up, thats why you see allot of people skipping or hopping as they land, there wheels are on the ground and there smashing the brakes, the only prob is the plane is still goin over 50-60mph and the wings still have allot of lift, so the plane is trying to climb and get airborne again. in some planes such as zekes and nikis this is criticle if u want to stop quick, because those planes will skip and bounce down the runway until you get under about 40mph.... with the F4U this also allows you to pull back on the stick once you get wheels down which will help keep u from tumbling nose over. if u had flaps extended and u pulled back on the stick the plane would mosst likely lift off the runway, but if your flaps are up, it will help keep your tail wheel on the ground and also keeps it straight so your not having to use differential brake or rudder constantly to stay in the mid of the runway... Using this method you only need about 1/8 of the runway to stop... if I'm reloading i'll just glide the 1st 3/4 of the runway then i'll raise my flaps and release all that lift and bammo i'm already at the refuel pad, no need for that 10 minute taxi... play around with it enough and eventually you will be able to land right next to the pad on the small cross road that the pad sits on that connects to the big runway... Also works in reverse if you are taking off, if u need to up quickly just drop some flaps and that will add extra lift to the wings, just remember they are down so that when you want to auto climb or whatever remember to raise em back up... The norm is to not use any flaps during takeoff, but if you are rearming a lanc on a cv they are a must in order to get airborne again

Offline bigsky406

• Zinc Member
190 fuel tank selection
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 11:42:21 AM »
How do you select which fuel tank you want to use? I read that burning the FWD tank first is best but what is the command to switch tanks?

ONEiJAQ

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
190s
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »
shift-f, i believe.  ck the keyboard commands via the help page.  the planes are set to shift tanks automatically unless you manually drain the tanks.  using shift-f you can also return to the automatic funneling of gas.  the gas gauge "tank source" reads in one color for manual another for automatic and there used to be an "a-" to indicate automatic flow.  

hap

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
190s
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 07:41:03 PM »
Shift F for fuel selection.White is Auto and yellow in manual.

Offline bigsky406

• Zinc Member
190s
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 10:58:17 AM »
I tried the shift f and it worked. I found out that once you go to manual it won't switch tanks unless you make the switch. I was flying along trying to manuver on a spit when my engine quit.... took only a couple seconds to sort it out but got my tail shot off in the mean time. It was kinda funny and I more than likely would of gotten flamed anyway to no big deal. Thanks for the help.
ONEiJAQ

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
190s
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 11:30:50 AM »
Originally posted by AutoPilot
The majority of the fuel is stored in the FWD tank not the AFT tank.
that is incorrect in at least the Dora.

the AFT tank is almost 2 times as big as the FWD tank in the 190 D 9

TK, do a search in this forum for a recent post by me talkinf about the dora in a 190 A5 help thread.

i describe sort fo the "wallow" manuever they are talking about with maneTMP and others. i have used it many many times in the past. i am bad with words though, so you kind of need some imagination when i am describing it LOL.

it isn't going to work 100% of the time, but if you take what is mentioned, and add a few variations of it, you can at least get away many times to reset, especially in a horde. if you get lucky in a big furball, you can pull out, someone else will dive on the guy chasing, or the guy chasing will pull off to get an easier target (rare, but hey you can wish :rofl)

alone, in a 1-1, well, get REALLY good riding the plane tipped 90 deg and 120 MPH stall edge. just get REAL used to using the rudder to do every manuever, and use the wings just to stop you from flipping over.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
190s
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 12:32:26 PM »
The new 190s have a wonderful gas gague. It has a small red needle on the outer edge. This indicates your entire fuel load, not just the tank selected. In the 190As, when you burn your aux and aft tanks and ONLY have 100% in your front/main tank left, this "little red needle" is still at 60%-75%. By far most of the gas is in your front/main tank in 190As.

From memory, the same goes for the dora. Check it out. It's a lovely gas gague and I'd love to see it on every plane (but that wouldn't be historical)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
190s
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 12:35:04 PM »
Originally posted by bigsky406
I tried the shift f and it worked. I found out that once you go to manual it won't switch tanks unless you make the switch.

Note the color of the label when you're on auto. There is white and there is yellow. When you SHIFT F you will change the color (indicating manual). Keep shifting until it goes back. I can't remember right now which is manual and which is auto. But you toggle in a circle. If you go all the way around it will go back to auto. :aok

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
190s
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

From memory, the same goes for the dora. Check it out.
i have seen it and though i have not flown in a month i did fly the dora for over 7000 kills and almost always my main ride in AH for over 3 years.

trust me, in the new 190's they drain the AFT first (no AUX) then the FWD.

when flying when it got to the FWD i knew i had to start RTB because i had only maybe 7 min flight tops at MIL power.

back in AH 1 it would drain the FWD first, and you could empty it before 20k on climbout.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
190s
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 01:36:38 PM »
EDIT: The question for me was not which tank drained first, but which had more gas. /EDIT

Wow... well I just did a test and we were both off a bit.

Took a plane up 100% no DT, fuel burn at 20x, when the tank switched I noted fuel left on e6b.

Dora: before eng start: 139
aft tank dries up, auto switches to main: 61

A-5: before eng start: 139

A-8: before eng start: 169
aux tank dries up, auto switches to main: 139

Interesting. I was off. I thought that one tank had significantly more gas than the other, but it looks almost like a 50/50 split

I think I thought this was so because I rarely took 100% (75% was good for me) so the aft was always lower, and I assumed that the rest was in the aux tank (which only the a-8 has).

Good to know!!