Author Topic: Router issue  (Read 498 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« on: November 07, 2005, 01:38:52 PM »
I seem to be having an issue with my router. It's a Linksys BEFSR41. Using Win XP Pro also. The modem will randomly reset itself. Sometimes it takes hours and hours for it to happen, then resets itself multiple times. This doesnt happen EVER when the modem is connected directly to either comp, only happens when the router is connected.

Any ideas?

Thought about calling these guys http://www.geeksquad.com/?DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=PCA but they want $80 to troubleshoot the network over the phone, so I thought I'd try you guys first :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 01:58:07 PM »
Before anything radical or fancy, make sure you've rebooted teh router itself. This is NOT the same as turnign it off and on!! Usually there will be a reset button, often inside the machine with access through a small hole. Mine is samll enough that you need to use a paperclip end to reach it. Hold it down (usually for 3 seconds) and wait for the fancy light flashing reset to finish.

This restores teh internal software to factory defaults, and will repair any corruptions that snuck in.

I had weird disco problems that we thought were heat realted -- bu they 100% disappeared when we reset the router.

Good Luck!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 02:01:48 PM »
I'll try hitting the reset button, havent done that yet but have powered it down and let it reboot itself. Am I going to have to clone the MAC address again after doing that?
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 02:17:23 PM »
Ok, that didnt fix the problem. Modem just reset itself again heh.

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
Router issue
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »
Just wondering.  Is this router one of those cheapies that Vonage gives you when you join up?  I've heard very bad similar complaints about them (although mine works fine).

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 03:11:27 PM »
The BFSR41 is the wired version of the Linksys router.

When was the last time you flashed the thing with a newer version?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 03:17:12 PM »
Silly question, how do you know the router is reseting itself? The thing has no audible indicators...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
The BFSR41 is the wired version of the Linksys router.

When was the last time you flashed the thing with a newer version?

uuuuhhhhh flashed it? what do you mean?

And no Vonage didnt give us this one, it's a Linksys router from Best Buy, couple years old now. Btw, this router worked fine while we were on dsl, switched to cable because it's 20 bucks cheaper heh.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 03:19:47 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
Silly question, how do you know the router is reseting itself? The thing has no audible indicators...

It's not the router resetting, its the modem resetting. All the lights (except the power light) go off, then one by one they come back on, just like if you unplug the power to it and let it boot itself back up. Doesnt do it when it is directly connected to either comp, only when it is connected to the router.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Router issue
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 03:53:54 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
uuuuhhhhh flashed it? what do you mean?

And no Vonage didnt give us this one, it's a Linksys router from Best Buy, couple years old now. Btw, this router worked fine while we were on dsl, switched to cable because it's 20 bucks cheaper heh.
Go here http://192.168.1.1/ and check your router config (especially "Internet connection type"). Cable connection requires slightly different settings than DSL. That's probably your trouble cause.

Also update router's firmware. There have been several updates (I assume you have BEFSR41 v1)

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
Router issue
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
It's not the router resetting, its the modem resetting. All the lights (except the power light) go off, then one by one they come back on, just like if you unplug the power to it and let it boot itself back up. Doesnt do it when it is directly connected to either comp, only when it is connected to the router.

Will Post some more info after this when i look into the router setup a little more, BTW do you know if you are DHCP(Dynamic), Static IP, DHCP with PPPoE Authentication, Static IP with PPPoE Authentication?

First ITS NOT THE ROUTER ITS THE CABLE MODEM Reseting, I.E: there is Something Wrong with his Cable Modem or the Connection it is Recieving, Since you are Running Windows XP Lets try a Few Things:

A)
1. To reset TCP/IP click start, then goto run, then type command, at the command prompt (DOS Prompt) type the following:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

2.  Then press Enter on the Keyboard.

3.  Then close the command prompt.

-----------------------------
B)

1.Reset Windows SP2 Firewall:

Click Start, then goto run, type command, at the command prompt type the following:

netsh firewall reset

---------------------------------------
C)Reset Winsocks:

Open a command prompt and type:

netsh winsock reset catalog

D) When you notice this Happening do the Following:

1. Click Start, Goto Run, type command, On the Dos Prompt Type the following:

ping 192.168.2.1

or if that is not your Default GW in that Same window type: ipconfig, Take the Default Gateway and use it like this: ping x.x.x.x, The x standing for the GW numbers. You should get for Ping Statistics: Sent=4 Rec=4 Lost=0

2. Type: ping 216.109.118.77, You should get: Sent=4 Rec=4 Lost=0
*216.109.118.77 is Yahoos IP =].* If you get: Sent=4 Rec=0 Lost=4, Call your ISP because your Losing your Connection From the Modem. If not Continue to Step 3.

3. type: ping http://www.yahoo.com, You should get Sent=4 Rec=4 Lost=0, If you dont get these Results when pinging please Reply back to this post with those Results!

E) Reply Back with Modem Name, And let me know if the problem continues and how often it happens. If you dont want to post this info just email it to me at: astanford@insitesupport.com

Sincerely,
Andrew Stanford aka 0utbr3ak.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 07:24:58 PM by outbreak »

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 08:03:34 PM »
Couple things:

Go here http://192.168.1.1/ and check your router config (especially "Internet connection type"). Cable connection requires slightly different settings than DSL. That's probably your trouble cause

No clue what I am looking at, or what should or should not be changed. There is no *internet connection type* that I can find.

Also update router's firmware. There have been several updates (I assume you have BEFSR41 v1)

Tryed to upgrade the firmware kept getting this error message: *Upgrade action is not finished! Upgrade file pattern error*

Outbreak, did everything you said except for what to do when I notice the modem resetting. Will do that as soon as I see it happen again.

Also it's a Motorola SB4100 Cable Modem.

*eidt* There are 3 lights under *WAN* on my router, Link, ACT and Diag. Previously the Diag light was on, now its off. Not sure if that means anything or not. I am not sure if it was on while the DSL modem was hooked up either, just never noticed. :lol

Also, not sure if you noticed or not, but the cable modem NEVER resets while it is connected directly to EITHER comp, it only does it when connected into the router. Not sure if that makes any difference or not heh.

Thanks for the responses guys, can always count on the people here to help puter 'tards such as my self ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 08:42:36 PM by Elfie »

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
Router issue
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »
Ok hehe try this stuff next stold it from one of the ISPs i help Trouble Shoot.

*****************Motorola Surfboard 4100*****************
When a user is using the USB adaptor on a Cable modem it provides a different physical/adaptor address than PCI adaptor. If you have someone hooking a Cable modem via USB, they will need to provision the USB MAC ID which can be found on the back/bottom of the cable modem.  

The first step in troubleshooting the Surfboard is to check all connections to the PC and Modem to ensure that everything is plugged in securely.

If this is not the problem, then powercycle the modem.

Then check the status of the lights:

If no lights are on – Check to make sure that the power cord is plugged in and that the outlet is not controlled by a light switch. If all lights remain out, click here.

Send – If the send light is flashing, do not do any troubleshooting, send a ticket.

Online – If the online light is flashing, do not do any troubleshooting, send a ticket.

Receive – If the receive light should be solid. If it is flashing, do the following:

Have the customer check their cable TV. If the cable TV is out, send a ticket as they modem and TVs are on the same lines.
Check Cable TV connections to modem, by making sure coax cable is connected to modem and screwed in tightly.
Search for splitters.
If the Power, Send, Receive, and Online light are on solid, do the following:

Have the customer try to browse the web.
If they cannot browse, do a winipcfg/ipconfig to check the IP address of the Network Card, the address for the network card should be a 66.153.*.* address.
Check their Network Settings to make sure the TPC/IP for the Network Card is set to obtain an IP address automatically, DNS is disabled, and TCP/IP is set as the default protocol.
If they are receiving an IP address of 192.168.100.11, have the customer release and renew the IP address for the network card. NOTE: Do not do a release all and renew all. If they receive a 66.153.*.*, have the user try to browse.
If they are receiving a 169.*.*.* address, check for firewalls such as "Zero Knowledge Freedom", "Norton" or "Zone Alarm", if any of these are running, shut them down or disable it and try to browse. If they are able to, they will need to contact the firewall manufacturer for help.
If they still get an IP address of 169.*.*.*(default windows IP address), make sure customer has not changed PC's or NIC Cards or added a router since installation of Cable Modem. If so, the new Network Card or router’s MAC address will need to be entered into the admin page. Please see a lead or sup for help with this. It may take 15-20 minutes for the change to take effect. Have the customer run ipconfig/winipcfg and release and renew the IP address for the network card. NOTE: Do not do a “release all” and “renew all.”
If the customer is still getting a 169.*.*.* addres for their PC’s IP address do the following:
Unplug the Surfboard modem.
Unplug the coaxial cable from the back of the modem (this is the round cable that screws out).
Plug the SurfBoard back in.
Have the user do a release and renew.
Now check the PC’s IP address. If the user is receiving a 192.168.*.* address, then the connection from the PC to the Modem is ok.
Check the admin page and make sure that the MAC address of the NIC matches the one on the admin page.
Plug the Coax cable back in. Reboot the modem again (It may take 10-15 minutes to connect to the Internet).
Have the user release and renew their IP address again. If they do not get a 66.153.*.* address, send a ticket.
If they still can not browse, check Internet Options in the Control Panel. Make sure that their is not a check in any boxes under the LAN Settings button, then have them try to browse.
If the customer is getting proper IP address but still can not browse, have them perform a PING test to see if they can ping the IP addresses, gateway and domains. If they can ping IP address but not the gateway or domains, for Windows 9x and ME machines, ask if the have their original Windows 9x or ME CD or check for correct number and version of CAB files, and do a standard Remove and Reinstall Communications.
If that Fails Try This:

Have customer go to the configuration page of modem 192.168.100.1
Click on Signal and note the "Signal to noise" level, power level on downstream and upstream power level.

Will Wait for your Reply!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Router issue
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »
Modem has reset once since my previous post. I pinged 192.168.1.1 and http://www.yahoo.com (4 sent 4 recieved 0 lost on both) and was typing in the other ip address and by that time the modem had rebootd itself.

*Just* did it again, pinged yahoo's ip addy and the first line says *request timed out*, but then the ping went through and results were 4 sent 3 recieved 1 lost.

Check their Network Settings to make sure the TPC/IP for the Network Card is set to obtain an IP address automatically, DNS is disabled, and TCP/IP is set as the default protocol.

How do I do that? lol

Signal to noise ratio is 33db.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
Router issue
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 11:08:07 PM »
ROFL dont worry about that part :D should have checked before i posted that lol thats for an ISP in South Carolina just put it their because you guys have the same modems =] so dont worry bout that part and btw Give your ISP Tech Support a Ring and tell them you are having Intermittent Connection issues, Tell them the Ping Results and what it does when it is offline TEmp, Also give them that Sound Ratio for the modem =]. Makes their job 500x easier hehe. Plus cuts the talk time to about Half.