Author Topic: Copy Protected CDs  (Read 3021 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2001, 03:04:00 AM »
I can copy cd's so I can use them in a 19080's technology Walkman, but I am not allowed to use my mp3 player?

Just stupid.

I have faith in my fellow geeks. So far, there has been *nothing* the big corporations have thrown out that a piple faced geek hasn't managed to crack.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2001, 03:14:00 AM »
thats a new spin on it santa

i wonder if companies that make mp3 players have the right to take the record ones to court since they are effectively trying to kill their business?
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2001, 05:42:00 AM »
Hi, I got OFP to burn just wonderful. Sometimes I go 60 in a 55mph zone, don't return the shopping cart to the designated area, and I lie to telemarketers telling them I'm taking a crap when I'm actually just watching TV and don't want to talk to them. So that makes me a scumbag thief, state highway law breaker, non-conforming to supermarket signs,  liar. Gladflee is going to fall outta that pulpit land in his tears.

---

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2001, 06:56:00 AM »
Time for my input-
CDs dont last forever.  I heard one report that says CDs last 5 to 10 years, due to the metallic coating.  Also, these company that try to prevent cd copying are not 100% right.  Remember the rule of capitalism, Charge as much as the consumer can pay.  Do you think these companys care if your dad or brother scratch up your CD when they take it out of the cdrom drive?  Nope, they want you to buy another copy.  Either extreme of the situation is bad, a happy medium needs to be reached.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gadfly:

And, oh yeah, Boroda, Mr. innocent, never stole software, need I mention FH?

Lizking, is it something wrong with you? Why do YOU rise this question again and again? You can whine as much as you want - but we didn't violate any laws of Russian Federation, and, thanks to our iENemies, now we have an official proof.

BTW, if you read my post carefully - I mentiond my participation in the process of pirating that game in 1990  ;)

I admit that I DO buy $3 CDs, mostly with games. I prefer officialy released games at the same price (like IL-2, that I bought in a boxed version simply to support Russian software designers), but there is no crime in buying a CD that was printed at the factory and is sold in an official store that pays all taxes.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
don't return the shopping cart to the designated area  
Creamo

Foul villian!!!

Gadfly,
Thank you again for preaching to us all.  You can move along now.  

I believe there is a quote that goes "...let he without sin cast the first stone."  So, until you can walk on water, shut up.

F.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Furious ]

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by moose:

I can still listen to my Kenny Rodgers music while flying Nikis.

That is a very disturbing statement you sicko.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
Aye, hell awaits.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2001, 03:31:00 PM »
I think you're all missing the point.

When the automobile was invented, people wanted to subsidize the buggy whip factories too.

If the product cannot be controlled due to its ready availability in the marketplace, then move along and find another way to make your millions. Prior to Gutenberg information was doled out to the masses by clerics who profited by the control of that information. When books became readily available the INFORMATION was not worth what it once was. The music industry has grown around its ability to deliver music to us. We couldn't make our own records, cassettes caused a few ripples but they generally suck, now we can get our music freely and the music industry is fighting for its life. They need to be buried next to the buggy whip guys.

Do you really think people will stop writing music? The Grateful Dead used to encourage people to tape and share their concerts. They were still the largest money makers in the world of music up until the death of JG.

I realize most of this thread was refering to computer software or games, but info on a disc is info on a disc.

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2001, 04:19:00 PM »
I have found less then perfect software, as opposed to the promises... If they would live up to their promises I would put more credence in their agreement.

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2001, 04:49:00 PM »
parpt

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
I gotta ask...wtf is parpt?

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
I'm not sure. A funny sound I guess.

Perhaps flatulence.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2001, 10:55:00 PM »
LOL. First off, OFP does degrade if its not the original CD, you do need a NO CD Crack. The IL-2 ISO was posted with crack on the newsgroups a few times already.

As for piracy, well heres what I do - if a game doesn't release a demo then I will look for a warez copy. I download it, try it out for a week, and if I don't like it - trash it. If I do like it, I go buy it soon as it hits the shelves here (did it with OFP as the demo sucked but the real thing was rumoured to be much better).

I'm sick to death of software manufacturers releasing stuff that is incomplete, and doesn't resemble anything the box describes. I think a lot of people have little concience copying software simply because they have NO respect for the software companies that release bug ridden piles of crap onto the market - ww2ol is a great example of what you don't get at its worst. Why should I fork out US$40 to find something is not what its made out to be?

Then theres music. Why do I have to buy a CD with 1 good track and 15 tracks of toejam music? Why did the music companies sit around with their fingers up there tulips not addressing the demand for online music until Napster dragged them kicking and screaming onto the net?

If they provided a better product, at a reasonable price, provided it via a delivery mechanism the market has been screaming for, and didn't force us to buy music we don't want 'bundled' with music we do want... mebbe consumers would have a little more guilt pirating stuff. The MP3-piracy forced music companies to sit up and do something on the net.

Who are the thieves? The software companies that lie about what their products do? Or the music companies that try to keep a strangle hold on the profits?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2001, 11:07:00 PM »
Yep. A few years back there was a company that was selling CD's over the internet. Custom made CD's that is.

You selected the songs from any group you wanted, as long as you could cram it into a CD, you could do it. You'd pay for each song's copyright and stuff, plus the burn, S&H and their profit. If I remember correctly, one of the CD's I got from them, with 12 songs I really liked, for about 15 bucks.

Last I heard, the company had been bought out by a record company (Empire I think) and this "option" of purchasing was taken off their website.

Come to think of it, that was the last time I bought a CD.

Its a losing battle for the record companies anyway, they can shut down napster and their likes, there will always be another one taking its place. And they will always be up where the US law cant touch them. There's servers in North Korea and easter europe that you can get ANY song and in many cases movies for free. Only limit is your bandwith.

Saddest of all, the artists get very little from what their music sells.