• Plutonium Member
Ki-100
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:44:31 AM »
That is my wish.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Ki-100
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 01:42:59 PM »
I thought your wish was for tiny asian twins with huge....nevermind.:)

storch

Ki-100
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:29:10 PM »
asian twins?

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Ki-100
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 09:24:31 PM »
Yes, Ki-45!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Ki-100
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 10:46:21 AM »
Oh, I thought....:o

Me bad :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Ki-100
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 12:18:57 PM »
perv :rofl

I think Ki45 would perform worse than 110G with worse armament than a 110c. Do we need it? No. They weren't *THAT* common. Would I fly it? Hell yes!

Ki100 performs marginally worse than Ki61. The differences were reliability of the engine, which isn't a factor in AH at all, so we already have that plane (it just looks different and has a few MPH top speed over it).

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
Ki-100
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 02:34:39 AM »
look what i found in the top of the google image results for "Ki-45"....

what is this world comming to?

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Re: Ki-100
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 03:10:43 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
That is my wish.

Just don't understand why everyone wants this aircraft.  :huh
The KI-61 KAI we have will out perform the KI-100 in almost every aspect.

A better request my be the RAIDEN.  :aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
Ki-100
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 12:30:31 PM »
I'm not so sure about that Jester. The only commonly available performance numbers on these two Kawi's are top speeds and service ceilings. The installation of the radial engine reduced weight by a couple of hundred pounds at least (iirc...all my reference materials are unavailable to me at the moment) and increased power by approx 300 hp. This would address the ki-61s main shortcomings imo...climb rate and acceleration.  A Hien that would climb in the 3500-4000 fpm range and accelerate like an N1K2 or Ki-84 (just guessing here) sounds like an attractive proposition to me as I've always preferred the handling qualities of the Ki-61 over the N1K. Turn rate would also likely see a modest improvment due to the lower wing loading and additional power. Yes, the increased frontal area reduced top speed by 7mph or so but who cares? It was never very fast to begin with.

In any case it would help fill out a still sparse Japanese planeset and the 3D model of everything aft of the firewall is already there unless they model the later one with the revised canopy.

I do agree with your suggestion of the J2M though. I've been waiting 5 years for that one to show up.  Gimme a J2M, a Ki-44,  and a G4M (there's just no adequate substitute for Betty in the current lineup) and I could be fairly satisfied with the Japanese planeset.

On the subject of Japanese twins...its been mentioned many times before by Brady and others but the Ki-102 would probably be the most useful, in the MA at least.

Yes Pyro you make me randy. Now make me Randy!! :D

edit: Oh yeah...Howdy fellers! Been away for awhile. Nice to be back.
Slash, Jester
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 01:07:32 PM by DblTrubl »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Ki-100
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 03:01:04 PM »
Originally posted by Jester
Just don't understand why everyone wants this aircraft.  :huh
The KI-61 KAI we have will out perform the KI-100 in almost every aspect.

A better request my be the RAIDEN.  :aok

The Ki-100 was immediatley revealed as an exceptional intercepter, one regarded by some as Japan's outstanding fighter aircraft  of the Pacific war.

This is from The Encyclopedia of World Aircraft. Granted its probably not the premier reference guide on Japanese figters, but its decent. It claims the K-100 to have a powerplant of Mitsubishi Ha-112-II rated at 1,500 hp. It also claims a top speed of 367 mph vs the Ki-61-Ic's 348 mph top end. Most of the info Ive come across on the Ki-100 has always led me to believe it was one of the better fighters from Japan and much better the the Tony.If you have better references Jester please point me in the right direction. I get frustrated with the conflicting information from my books and from the boards.

DblTrubl, damn good to see you again. Its been a long time since Ive seen that name <>:aok

btw, have you had a chance to fly the ki-84 yet? Great fighter:D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:04:12 PM by Slash27 »

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Ki-100
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 03:40:26 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
btw, have you had a chance to fly the ki-84 yet? Great fighter:D

Are you kidding? That was the first thing I did...ok ok I fondled a couple of P-38s too...I'm so weak willed :D   And I agree. Sweet ride.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Ki-100
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 03:52:42 PM »
Good deal:D

If you are looking for a squad or just want to fly with some guys, look up the Hells Angels in the MA (Rooks) Very laid back group and you are more than welcome.

More tidbits on the Ki-100

Kawasaki Ki-100 Goshiki-sen(Year 5 fighter)
Builder: Kawasaki Kokuki Kogyo K.K.
Type: Interceptor fighter.

In March 1945, Allied aircraft operating over Japan began encountering an exceptionally potent interceptor which appeared in none of their recognition manuals. It was not however, a totally new aircraft, but the most successful improvisation of the war.

As 1944 turned into 1945, the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force and Kawasaki Kokuki Kogyo were faced with a dilemma. They had a good fighter, the Ki-61 Hien(Swallow) whose liquid-cooled engine was both increasingly troublesome and becoming harder to obtain. The last straw was a B-29 raid in January 1945 that completely destroyed the factory making the engines leaving some 275 airframes badly needed by the country standing idle with no engines. Kawasaki was ordered to find a new engine for the Ki-61 as soon as possible. The only available engine with enough power and a reputation for reliability was the Mitsubishi Kinsei, a large-diameter radial engine designed for naval bombers. Fitting this wide engine into the narrow fuselage of the Hien was tricky but after examining an imported FW-190 and consulting the Navy which had just fitted the Kinsei into the D4Y Suisei bomber for similar reasons, the necessary adjustments were made and the first radial-powered Hien flew in February 1945. It had no name, being known only like all IJAAF aircraft by its airframe(kitai) number, Ki-100 and like most Japanese aircraft, Army or Navy by its function and year of introduction, Goshiki-sen, the Year 5 Fighter. (It did not even have an Allied code name having caught the opposition by surprise.)

Almost immediately, engineers and pilots alike realized that they had stumbled into greatness. The Ki-100 was slightly slower than the Hien due to wind resistance from the radial engine, but was lighter and more maneuverable. More important it could be counted on due to the reliablity of the engine. It soon acquired a reputation as the best, most reliable, and easiest to fly of any IJAAF fighter. Even the newest pilots could fly the Goshiki-sen like a pro, and in the hands of a pro it could be deadly. It was superior to the F6F Hellcat and pilots soon regarded the Grumman fighter as an easy kill In the first encounter between Hellcats and Ki-100's, 14 of the Hellcats were shot down without loss to the Japanese. It also proved capable if intercepting B-29's. It even proved itself the equal of the P-51 Mustang, contests between the two aircraft being determined by pilot skill rather than the merits of the aircraft. It was in a Ki-100 that Major Hinoki Yohei, the Douglas Bader of Japan, an ace who kept on flying despite severe injuries, scored his 12th and final kill of the war, downing a Mustang flown by Capt. William Benbow. Not bad for an improvisation.

Ki-100's built from scratch rather than from existing airframes featured an all-round vision bubble hood canopy.  

Profile written by: Leon Kay

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Ki-100
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 07:34:40 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a great plane, light with lots of power, as much like an aerobatic plane as a fighter.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Ki-100
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 03:03:59 AM »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Ki-100
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 03:23:22 AM »
sweet......thank you Furby:aok