Author Topic: A Parody  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
A Parody
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
hehe living up to that name Rude    How dare you come into our rational debate and introduce fact!  I think you should just leave!

BTW,  I'm a home designer.  I'd say about 1/2 of the houses i've done in the last 3 years have large front porches.  Here in houston at least, architecture has been on a mediterainian feel for the last 10 years.  That style of home has very large lanai's, veranda's (patios   ) in the rear of the house, but not much at the front. But I've notice the ranch style home coming back into style over the last year.

udie

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
A Parody
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2000, 03:39:00 PM »
I've always liked those huge 3/4 wrap around porches  

Yup Rude, it's our own collective fault.  Only way to change things is to get up and vote for what you believe in, and if you think your representatives are lying bags of toejame, write'em and tell them so.  It's our responsibility to keep them in check

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
A Parody
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2000, 04:25:00 PM »
I don't own any guns and I don't think that I ever will.  I do own two swords which I sorta know how to use.

The real problem here is responsibility and the fact that we will never have a situation in which everyone is responsible.  This applies only to law abiding citizens.  Criminals aren't responsible by definition.

One problem I have with guns is that it is too easy to do something that cannot be taken back.  I can too easily imagine two people having an arguement.  Lots of tension.  One has a weapon, a gun, and is pointing it at the other.  Hand is tense on the trigger.  They're pissed and scared and BANG the gun goes off.  Finger got too tight.  One guy is maimed or dead.  Shooter didn't mean to pull the trigger.  Now the guy was an idiot for getting a gun out in anger, but its done.
Now if we replace the gun with a knife the weapon bearer has to actually stab to victim, a much more aggressive and hard to do accidentally type of action.
Another problem with guns is that they are hard to run from.  I stand a decent chance of running from a guy with a knife or sword, but a gun reduces my chances dramatically.  A bow could also hit me as I ran, but bows take much more skill to use with any effectivness.  I know that I am much MUCH more accurated with a pistol than I am with a bow.

There are always ways to kill somebody, guns just make it easier.  The pro-gun people could help their image if they admitted that.  Their posturing about knives being used instead is silly.  Yes, knives would be used, but far fewer murders would occur.

Now the reality of the situation is that we live in an armed society and that is not going to change anytime soon.  I think that if we had wanted to be a gun free society we would have had to have banned guns 100 or 150 years ago.  What we need to do now is figure out ways to get people take responsibilty for their guns and to figure out effective ways of keeping guns out of the wrong hands.  Palm print detectors, DNA activation, or something even better.  Maybe with that kind of technology we could even stop requiring licenses and just run a background check at the time of purchase.  To transfer ownership, go into your local sporting goods store, run a check on the purchaser and the purchaser's authorized user list and have the gun imprinted to the purchaser and the purchaser's authorized user list, wife, son, daughter, ect.  Accidents would still happen, but gun murders would gradually drop off I think.

I think that this is a problem that we can solve through common sense, technology and a willingness to work together.  We don't need to ban guns.

Sisu
-Karnak

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 08-10-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
A Parody
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2000, 06:03:00 PM »
Gun violence, naked force; has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion (that violence never settles anything) is wishful thinking at its worst.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. No man can assume or accept reponsibilty for the actions of any other.

When a citizenry is disarmed; it is no longer in a position to determine it's own laws.. or it's leaders. Your government knows this.. wherever you are.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, republican, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria for a gun debate.

Societies tend to divide politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number.

The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort. I'm with this crowd.

Owning a gun is a right.. and a moral responsibilty. I'll not trade or suborn that right or responsibilty, period.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
A Parody
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2000, 07:29:00 PM »

Gun violence, naked force; has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion (that violence never settles anything) is wishful thinking at its worst.
And the other side is that it has caused a lot of issues or tragedies. Naked force sparked WWI. Naked force drove it. Naked force also drew out the Nazi's from power, after they've used it to seize and murder.

Naked force, combined with an eye for an eye philosophy, drives into an evil descending violent spiral.

War, to me, is the last political move made to resolve an issue. It has serious consequences and drawbacks that are quite obvious.

There *are* times for naked force. On the other hand, there are times when the application of such is detrimental to a society.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. No man can assume or accept reponsibilty for the actions of any other.
I am unarmed, but a citizen. And to be quite honest, I *do not buy* the "government will opress me if I do not own a gun and scare them from it" argument. Not in civilized stable democracies like the one I live in.

If you are referring to being able to defend yourself against other citizens or criminal, the tune changes a bit. But, at least here, I benefit more from having a strict gun control than having guns free. In the US, I percieve that the situation is quite different, largely due to cultural differences and lots of handguns already in circulation.

Furthermore, if being armed was the issue; we have rifles. I do not carry them on me, and am not allowed to wander into a shop carrying one. To me, it seems like common sense. Others disagree, as I am sure you will, Hangtime  .

When a citizenry is disarmed; it is no longer in a position to determine it's own laws.. or it's leaders. Your government knows this.. wherever you are.
We're quite capable of it here. As I said, I don't buy the government vs people argument in democracies like the one I live in.

Will you take up arms if the government enforces laws you disagree with? Usually, such laws are implemented because it is the wish of the people in one way or another.

Do you seriously believe the American government would attack its own people - I mean middle class normal American families?

If so, and if you label me gullible or following an authority, I will call you paranoid and anti-authoritarian  .

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, republican, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria for a gun debate.
Agreed completely  .

Societies tend to divide politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Yup.

The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number.

The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort. I'm with this crowd.
Heh, well. All I've have to say on the issue that I've met people of both categories. And, unlucky for those of us who *can* govern ourselves, we're in a minority. Or if we were 50/50, the actions of those in need of "guidance" would be such that we'd have to interfere.

And I reckon the reason we have the current system is some sort of attempt at fairness that falls short, but not as short as the alternative.

Owning a gun is a right.. and a moral responsibilty. I'll not trade or suborn that right or responsibilty, period.
Well, it is a right in one country only. In two others, it is a duty. In most other western democracies, it is considered a public health issue, much akin to drugs and nuclear weapons  .

But, since it *is* a right in the US, I agree completely with the moral responsibility bit. Are people lacking here? I don't live in the US and do not know, but would like to  .

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
A Parody
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2000, 09:36:00 PM »
Quote:

"You have to have an driving license to drive an car."

LOL!!!   And it's not worth the paper it's printed on.  Lowlife's have no problem driving without a license.  The penalties for doing so are very minor.

These anti-gun types.  What world to they live in??  "Fantasyland" is my best guess.

Cabby
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
A Parody
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2000, 10:20:00 PM »
The world is grey, not black and white.

Once we agree on this, we can begin discuss which shade of grey it is  .

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
A Parody
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2000, 11:23:00 PM »
LOL Santa.. Yep; I know I sound like a sanctimoniuos old cummudgeon, and despite the fact that I am; I remain someone who KNOWS from experience just how evil and invasive a government can become when the citizenry is unable to oppose affronts on it's citizens civil rights.

Chile
Vietnam
Nicaragua
Sierra Leone
Congo
Bosnia
Rhodesia
South Africa
Phillipines
Cambodia
Thailand
Indonesia

The list goes on.. places where the populace, by law, faces death, or worse, for having in their possesion the means to resist their oppressive governments. Some of these places I've been.. others have passed into history.

And, history is clear... the lessons are most unforgiving. At one time; Roman matrons would tell their sons, "Return with your shield, or upon it" When this practice died out.. so did Rome.

Consider this fact from history.. Arms Control is not a new issue. It's been with us for a long; long time.

Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.

'A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands.'

--Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the Younger" (4 B.C.E-65 C.E.)

Yes; I submit that as Americans, as a people; as the motive force behind the most powerful Nation this world has ever seen we must remain vigilant, we must remain alert to the nuances from our government; for by nature all government is self serving and will usurp for itself if unchecked the rights that should be held by they people it governs.

And a Rouge American Government; un-checked, unanswerable to US; its constituents that demand accountabilty for it's actions would be a very very scary thing to turn loose upon the world. (Of course.. it'd be nice to sick 'em on the French for a few days, anyway)

This lands immigrant populace expressed it's desire to arm itself and demanded self-determination. Our fore-fathers made it abundantly clear that our freedoms are tenative; and we keep them only as long as we keep the means to resist oppression in the hands of the people. Much blood was spilled for these ideas.. and we can do no less than insure that their gifts, so precious in cost; are not handed quietly to any oppressor, forigen or domestic.

It's our own local history lesson.. our revolution was bloody and painful.. our civil war was an atrocity that still bleeds. But we learned.

Did Germans under Hitler have the ability to throw out the Tyrant? No. Would they have?? Maybe.. if they had a free press, and learned of the atocities. Fact is, the German citizens were not armed... had no free press. And an unarmed citizen is a SUBJECT. What chance does an unarmed populace have to get and keep a free press?

"Honor the Threat" is an axiom that guided our Military though the cold war.. and I might add, by extension, allowed Europe to withstand the darkness.

Yes; to you, we rabid howling gun toting gangster opportunist Americans must seem quite insane.. and to have an American expouse the concept of an evil government being spawned from the wreckage of a benign one seems very far-fetched.

In your lands; particulary, I am amazed that your social memory is so short. Did not this very thing happen on your conteninent just a few generations ago? I submit another time worn truth... those that fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it.

S! StSanta.. I think we are probably more alike than diffrent. I understand your points.. and snap and growl loudly from the end of my leash because from the youngest age I have been taught to 'Question Authority'. Another Americanisim.    

You'll probably also find it amusing that I don't have a gun in my home.. a personal choice forced by circumstance. I have a daughter.. who's mother elicted a promise from me to remove them from our home when she was born. Further, I've personally never felt the desire to have a gun to hand since I came home from the service 30 years ago. In short, I've never seen a pressing need to shoot anybody in this country. Day ain't over yet; though. (and the kids about grown up)    

Hang

[This message has been edited by Hangtime (edited 08-11-2000).]
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
A Parody
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2000, 09:49:00 AM »
This thread was so much fun I hate to see it die....<stirs pot>...so I thought I'd respond to F4's first post in here.  

I used the Santa method so I could reclaim the "longest post" trophy.

Hello Boy's
Couldn't resist.
A gun only has one purpose. To kill.

This is the simplistic type of logic that you claim to deplore. A gun does not have one purpose. At it’s invention the purpose was clearly to kill. However, like everything else, it evolved. Is trap or skeet shooting with a shotgun killing? Obviously not. They are sports, Olympic medal sports enjoyed by literally millions of people.

It’s easy to come up with buzzwords and catch-phrases. Unfortunately they don’t make a convincing argument by themselves.

A car has only one purpose. To transport.

This is true, unless you count the car as a mobile bordello. Unfortunately the car is a much more proficient "killer" than the gun.  The facts are that misused cars kill far more people than guns in the United States every single year. This despite registration, licensing, testing, vehicle inspections, more police on traffic duty than violent crime duty, continually improving safety equipment and Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

This gets to the heart of the issue. Too many people expect simply passing a law or confiscating a gun to solve the problem. The problem is one of personal responsibility for one’s actions. Bottom line, we don’t prosecute and KEEP in prison violent criminals. How many violent criminals are repeat offenders? Ask yourself how that happens. Primarily this happens because we never treat the underlying causes of the problem The English, at one time, would HANG you for stealing a loaf of bread. Bread still got stolen; a starving man has no choice. When are we going to address the underlying problems that are the source of so much of this violence?

A knife has many purposes.

As do guns, cars, ball bats, croquet sticks, shovels, knitting needles, pots, pans and fingernail clippers. Unfortunately you can be killed with any one of those. Those are inanimate tools; they are inert until a person picks them up and makes the choice to use them for good or evil. Unfortunately, in the US of today personal responsibility and accountability are foreign concepts.

A baseball bat is meant to hit baseballs.
When I drive a car I am volentarally getting into the vehical and assuming the risk of driving or being a passenger.
When my neighbor buy's a gun what am I agreeing too? That my neighbor now has the right to shoot me whenever they please?

Obviously, your neighbor does not have that right. This is specious, inflammatory rhetoric that does nothing to bring this issue to a mature discussion.

The odds of your neighbor accidentally shooting you are most likely about equal to him running you over as he backs out of his driveway. You know that to be true, too. An infinitesimally small number of people in possession of a gun use it for unjustified violence. Many who do are repeat criminals, not your average neighbor. However, once again inflammatory rhetoric is used rather than reason. It still doesn’t make a convincing argument.

Could this person try to kill me with a knife? Yes. But I would have the same odds of defending myself against him and surviving weather I am armed or not. The same applies to a baseball bat or crowbar or whatever. Even with a car I can just go inside my house and the threat is over. With a gun my life looses value to some gun nut with a God complex and his "rights".

Could a really big strong guy kill you with his hands? Yes. If you were a small person or a woman, you would be in SERIOUS trouble. In fact that’s exactly why guns became popular. Because they significantly increase the chances for a small person to survive an attack by a larger, violent person or group of persons.

Thomas Jefferson said it better than I can:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

This was true at the founding and it’s still true. But maybe TJ was "some gun nut with a God complex".

Oh, and by the way. Charlton Heston has just admitted to having an alchohol problem and having spent three weeks in rehabilitation.
Yipee, guns for everyone. I feel safer already. I sure wish he was my neighbor.

Teddy Kennedy is a major pro gun control advocate. What does his drinking have to do with his position? I can’t count how many times he’s been dried out. Maybe he drinks to forget drowning Mary Jo when he accidentally drove his car off a bridge. Damn, killed her with a car; I bet her parents are glad it wasn’t a gun! But what does that have to do with his position? His bodyguards are armed; does he deserve that right more than a average citizen? Are you really going to argue that a recovering alcoholic (and they are all always "recovering"...ask one) is in some way incapable of reason or making a valid argument? If so, then after Heston, I suggest we start removing this type from the Congress! Let’s start with Ted!

OK, enough with the sarcasm. You can see that this type of commentary absolutely does not bear on the important issue before the nation. It’s just another example of inflammatory rhetoric that can be used by both sides. It’s pointless and that is my point here. T

Ripsnort,
If people would do as you say and use their fist then you would see much less violence in the world. But cowardness is the rule in this country and a gun is an easy way to win an arguement when you know you can't win the fight. Deadly weapons? Hardly ever. More people get killed in their bathtubs every year than do in fist fights. I know, why don't we outlaw bathtubs? You gun folk are predictable.

Gun folk are no more or less predictable than anti-gun folk. In a nation that has had a "war on drugs" for the last 35 years or so, do you see any indication that illegal drugs are in short supply? In a nation that totally banned alcohol during Prohibition, was there any real shortage? Prostitution has been illegal everywhere almost forever. See any shortage of hookers? Pick whatever illegal activity you wish and you can find it almost anywhere.

The case can probably be made and proved that prohibition of anything leads to a rise in that illegal activity. After all, it’s this same group…CRIMINALS…that cause the present gun problem.

Yet you would have us believe that if all of us law-abiding citizens gave up our guns, everything would work out perfectly. No criminal would smuggle in AK-47’s from China or the Soviet Union. No criminal would toss a bale of handguns in with the next shipment of coke. No "coyote" leading illegal immigrants across the border would make them carry some contraband firearms for him for a little extra profit.

After all, in the entire history of the US, law enforcement has been totally successful in enforcing the laws against prohibited behaviors.

Puh-leez. Do you really expect people to believe that?

It’s exactly as Jefferson said:… "Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides…"

.....ah, I feel better now! Let's argue some more.

I like this way better than the gun/HO/FM whines.  ;D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
A Parody
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
If everyone has guns we'll all be safe !!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
A Parody
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2000, 05:09:00 PM »
I've sorta spoken my mind about the differences of guns, knives, rocks and cars. I see good arguments from both sides, as is expected when something as debateable as this shows up.

Hang and Toad, thanks for the chat. I know there are many who feel and think in similar ways. Conversely, there are many on the other side of the fence.

Now, if you were to settle this the old fashioned way, you'd win; don't bring a knife to a gun fight  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
A Parody
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2000, 09:40:00 PM »
Actually, we're simply going to bring the Constitution to the discussion.

The pen is mightier than the sword!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
A Parody
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2000, 10:51:00 PM »
I've seen endless discussions on the 2nd amendment; and it's ended to different interpretation and semantic matters.

But go ahead  .

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
A Parody
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2000, 07:02:00 AM »
"LOL!!! And it's not worth the paper it's printed on. Lowlife's have no problem driving without a license. The penalties for doing so are very minor."

Then it might be about time to look over that too.....

Look i only used that example because Toad used the Car vs Gun example to begin with..

Regards.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
A Parody
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2000, 07:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
I've sorta spoken my mind about the differences of guns, knives, rocks and cars. I see good arguments from both sides, as is expected when something as debateable as this shows up.

Hang and Toad, thanks for the chat. I know there are many who feel and think in similar ways. Conversely, there are many on the other side of the fence.

Now, if you were to settle this the old fashioned way, you'd win; don't bring a knife to a gun fight    

St Santa,
I know you don't really care about firearms but are mildly interested in the subject. Cool.

About the knife argument. I spent a career in Law Enforcement. I was a full time cop and a Reservist in the U. S. Army.

I was an instructor for both agencies. On the Police side I had the oportunity to take the defensive tactics instructors course. I learned quite a bit about knife attacks. Most street cops feel comfortable talking to someone while they are within 10 feet (3 meters). This is the prime killing zone for a knife attack. The reason is reaction time. The assailant can cover 21 feet in less than 1.5 seconds. That means they will be all over the victim and CUTTING him before anyone can react other than to raise their hands to ward off the blade. In studies conducted during training a "knife guy" was to play the part of being interviewed by a police officer (real street cop with experiance but in training excercise). In every case the cop was told this was a "suspicious person" (no real crime that they were aware of at this point) and they were to "interveiw" the subject. The "knife guy" was to attack the officer without notice during the training scenario. In every case the officer "died". The officer had a firearm and in only one out of 25 attacks did the officer get a gun drawn. That was the officer who tried to talk from 21 feet away. He "died" too. He did hit the suspect but no shot other than a head shot is instantly fatal.

Later training with the same officers and suspect but now using better tactics and over 25 feet distance between them still had the officers getting "cut" but the suspect would likely have died from multiple gunshots as well.

If you think you can fight a knife assailant or out run them, I suggest you make damn sure you are at least 25 feet away BEFORE the suspect can make his move. I think you will still die even  then as most "civilians" aren't used  to violent situations and freeze briefly wasting their escape time. Try it yourself sometime with a friend and a rubber knife. Try to turn away and run before the "knife person" can catch you and "kill" you. Remember that almost anyone can run faster forward than backwards so you WILL have to turn your back on the assailant to run. It should open your eyes a bit.

With the exception of a head shot a trained knife person can kill you as fast or faster than a gun and with a wound that is less suvivable than a gun shot. You won't believe me of course and I sincerely hope you never have to face a knife assault. I did, I was fortunate it was an old man with a dull hunting style knife and my bullet proof vest stopped it. He hit me 3 times with a stabing attack in the abdomen with the knife BEFORE I could react. I was trying to pat him down for weapons during an arrest for a misdemeanor at the time. I couldn't have any safety distance at that time.

Later in my career I was disabled by a teenager in a car. He claimed it wasn't his fault, it was an "accident". I lost my career due to his "accident" He turned left in front of my Police motorcycle at a residencial intersection. The car was totalled from the impact.(30 MPH) It was his 3rd "accident" in a month as the Officers who came to investigate the collision remembered him from the others. The kid, or his daddy, paid a $65.00 fine for the collision that stopped my career.

In the experiances I have had, I found that if you really want to kill someone. Do it with a car. The vehicle is extremely deadly (Far in excess of any handheld firearms including long guns) and you are far more likely to get away with it because it would be an "accident". I have seen it happen many times.

Over 40,000 people die in the U.S. from auto collisions and almost all of them are labled "accidents".

What do I fear the most? Mostly those I share the road with and anyone that threatens me with a knife.

Mav

[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited 08-17-2000).]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown