Author Topic: Pullin' The Plug  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2000, 09:56:00 AM »
"AKFokerfoder, take this advice from a unexperienced 22 year old guy...never NEVER mess in such complicated things as terrorist groups in Europe...NEVER, because you have NO IDEA of what are you talking about, SIR!"

[irony]

OTOH, everyone worldwide should feel free to contribute their expertise to solving US problems. Our difficulties here are extremely simple and straightforward with no complicating aspects. It's just that we are not sophisticated enough to realize that.

[/irony]

Zig,

"I just watched "the hurricane", if everything in tha movie is true, what if he had been executed? "

We're dealing with HOLLYWOOD here! When have they ever let truth get in the way of a "good boxoffice"? I'm not saying Carter wasn't innocent, just that I'd take most of that movie with a grain of salt.

Long ago, when the Dylan album came out <had just bought my first "high zoot" stereo and was playing it in the Q on Okinawa> I did a little research into the case due to interest from the song. Details then were probably fewer than now and I don't remember them all. I do remember that I felt the case could go either way.

But I like your "Survior" idea. Which book by Robert Heinlein used "Coventry" in the same way? I got CRS now, the precursor to Alzheimer's. I like that book and that idea then!

Hollywood. Jeez, those guys give the impression that everyone in the US is a gun-toting cowboy avenger. Right, Naso? Sort of like how they give the impression that every Italian is a Mafia operative.  

If only life were so simple, eh?

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 08-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 08-12-2000).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2000, 12:09:00 PM »
Every Italian IS a mafia operative!

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »
Funked:

I guess you "trust" the Government enuff to man the Nukes, provide medical care for everyone,  and  provide you with a Social Security check as well???

BTW, it's "Thou Shalt Not Murder".  Killing is justifiable in many instances.  If you don't think there's a difference, well......

Cabby

Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2000, 02:06:00 PM »

Killing is justifiable in many instances.
- cabby

I disagree with your personal belief, cabby.  Unless, those many instances have to do with a threat by another living being upon ones immediate survival.

Okay, that's it for me here.  These political threads are getting old.  Discussion is fine if there's a thread of mutual understanding and consideration, but these recurring political themes serve little purpose except to provide a soapbox for us all to stand on. It's like we're two cliques, facing off one another, giving tit for tat.  These threads aren't discussions, they're virtual shouting matches.  And that's a shame.  I said a while back that it would be nice if we could defer from the religious/politically motivated posts, but here I am as deep in the stink as the next person.  What a hypocrite I am.  What a fine bunch of people we are.  Out.

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 08-12-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2000, 04:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by Toad:

[irony]

OTOH, everyone worldwide should feel free to contribute their expertise to solving US problems. Our difficulties here are extremely simple and straightforward with no complicating aspects. It's just that we are not sophisticated enough to realize that.

[/irony]

Well Toad, ironic or not this is a not valid point IMO...and I'll tell you why.

In Europe there is usually a high knowledge of your country toad...we see it all day long in TV, in press ,by CNN (I do see CNN but I dont understand a lot anyway  ), in short we have lots of information about USA.

In USA your knowledge about Europe is, as best, low. I have found people asking me how was life in SOUTH AMERICA (yes, man some US people thinks that Spain is there!!), so go figure...

What makes a guy able to give opinions about something is only when he knows about the matter...and many US people doesnt know a Sh**t about Europe. So, while we more or less have information about your problems, your country, your laws...you have much less information about us.

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »
RAM:

If all you know about the USA is what you see on TV and the Movies, well, you don't know much.

BTW, i know helluva lot about Europe.  From books, TV and Movies.  Not having lived there though, i guess i don't know much about it all.

Cabby  

Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2000, 04:38:00 PM »
...and don't forget Holll-EEE-wood!

another excellent source of information about how things REALLY are in the ol' USA!

No, I'm certain you folks get a perfect, clear understanding of our issues from CNN.
After all, Ted Turner would never allow a slant to a news broadcast.

".....jeez, sometimes I crack myself up!"

From "Top Gun" a totally accurate Hollywood portrayal of the life and times of a USN fighter pilot.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
When I say TV I say SERIOUS TV...so informatives, and some documentals about USA.

I have been in USA too. So well I am sure I have way more knowledge about US than you about Europe.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2000, 10:10:00 PM »
No doubt.

I'm sure you could clean up this town in two weeks, sheriff!

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2000, 07:38:00 AM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Every Italian IS a mafia operative!

NOT TRUE, StSanta!!!  

I am a Mafia Administrative  

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »

Originally posted by Toad:
Hollywood. Jeez, those guys give the impression that everyone in the US is a gun-toting cowboy avenger. Right, Naso? Sort of like how they give the impression that every Italian is a Mafia operative.    

If only life were so simple, eh?

Right said Toad !!!  

We exported Mafia, You exported Hollywood...

Dunno what's worse  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »
ROFL Naso!

Well, the worst is Hollywood films about Italian mafia featuring gun toting avenging American movie stars  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2000, 09:39:00 AM »
Holllllll-EEEEEEEEEE-wooood

....is okay for fantasyland entertainment but my thought is that MAYBE 1 out of 20 releases is worth paying to see. Mostly we get warmed over themes and plot lines with better pyrotechnics and special effects.

...and my wife wants to know why I prefer playing AH to watching TV!

If I'm not goofing off on the computer, I'd rather read a good book.

Hollywood comes in last every time.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2000, 01:52:00 PM »

In Europe there is usually a high knowledge of your country toad...we see it all day long in TV, in press ,by CNN (I do see CNN but I dont understand a lot anyway ), in short we have lots of information about USA.

Erm.. what everyone else said.  There is no such thing as "serious TV".  Someone you criticized in a previous post has a quote that applies quite well here: "Q:how do you know a reporter is lying? A:His lips are moving".  The press tells people anything to get ratings.  They have the ability to twist/deform/misconstrue any story into what they want.  They have the ability to provide a story with a limited number of facts from a biased source and its called news.

As for how informed US citizens are in regards to the Basque community... you truly are mistaken.  I guess you have no idea just how many Basque people are living in the united states.  I guess you have no idea about how willing to hear their stories we "dumb Americans" can be.

All the Basque and Irish people I know that have told stories of their homes speak about the rebel factions with equal levels of disgust.

Look at what FokkerFodder said again.  If a member of the ETA had planted a bomb in a supermarket parking lot and been caught... should he have been released from prison?  After killing 30 people?  Or should he have received the "life in prison" sentance... a 50 year death penalty?

Assuming that everyone is ignorant about everything and you are so informed because you watch the news is... well... ignorant.  Your age is apparent.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Pullin' The Plug
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2000, 01:58:00 PM »
By the way RAM.. just so you don't think I saw you post your age and responded about it... I'll show you something I said a week ago:

You seem awfully smug. You also seem young and naive. Don't know how old you are.. and don't really care. Its just the impression I get when I read your posts.

I have to say the same still aplies.

AKDejaVu