Author Topic: Gameplay - Eng Temp / Performance.  (Read 739 times)

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
Gameplay - Eng Temp / Performance.
« on: August 23, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »
This feature request is  a suggestion for making the engine temporature mean something more than whether or not the engine runs anymore, but rather how the engine behaves when hot.

Inspiration;
As I am starting the first flight of any particular session I calibrate my Joystick. One one such occasion I was jumped and didn't get to calibrate the throttle.

What happened as soon as I had clicked "Ok" made the whole point moot. The Throttle was spiking between full and null in very quick random fashion. This sounded very much like the stereotypical engine sputter when you lose a rod on the freeway.

Presently:
Right now in AH when our radiator is hit the engine continues to run at full power until the needle hits the full hot position. While in reality there would be a weakening of the motor, while the engine begins to miss.

My Suggestion:
Is to make the engine temparature a factor in the power the engine produces. Too hot and it begins to weaken and miss until it quits at full hot. This would make radiator hits a much more significant factor in the game. We have oil that sprays all over the windshield, we should have planes that lose engine power as they get hot. I can concieve that all that would be needed was control of the "throttle" when overheating.

Something similar could be done for cold engines. Say they Backfire and die if you throttle up to fast. Autotakeoff would overide of course and do it right...

Any Takers?

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 03:30:57 PM »
I personally like the idea, only problem is thats just way too hard for the newbie to get down... The ppl that have been playing a while wouldn't mind, but heck everyday I log in theres 2 or 3 newbies asking how to takeoff or how to make the plane go, while some of us might like that, allot of the newer players would never sign on to something like that, heck they have hard enough time just taking off, and I think if you through that at them they would quit, and for me its the #'s in the game that keep me playing, it would be boring playing with 50 ppl, its when 500 are on that it gets fun... I do think that if your engine gets hit or a radiator you should start to gradually lose power not all at once, make it gradual

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
Another way of looking at that...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 04:42:16 PM »
Another way of looking at the cold temp - slow throttle idea would actually help newbies.

By forcing them to throttle up slow enough not to torque the plane off the field. I don't mean take forever to do a rollout, just slow enough that your not just slamming the throttle forward. Real, but not so much so.

But If I had my choice of features I would defeinatly request the overheating backfiring / missing engine gets weaker. Just make the throttle spikes random in increasing frequency the closer you get to over heating. While reducing the average time at any desired power setting.

I think the associated torque issues would make any otherwise normal landing a nail biter. :) Much less keeping your guns on someone.

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 05:46:22 PM »
On a related note, right now the engine "temp" gauge doesn't measure temperature, it measures time. I would like to see engine temperature properly implemented like in IL2.

If you like to fly around at full military throttle all the time like everyone does now, your average engine temperature will be much higher than someone who cruises at a lower setting, so when it is time for max performance, your engine will overheat a lot quicker.

Along the same lines, I would like to see realistic radiator settings/effects on drag and engine temperature.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
Yea that would be kewl...
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »
Then you force ppl to throttle back and realize better fuel economy. I think that might be why HTC placed the Fuel Multiplier at 2x... To keep everyone from flying full throttle everywhere.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
Vote List?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 10:08:21 PM »
Has anyone looked at this in a while?

Is there a list of considered upgrades / features we could vote on / throw money at?

Dan.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 10:26:16 PM »
Originally posted by Gryffin
On a related note, right now the engine "temp" gauge doesn't measure temperature, it measures time. I would like to see engine temperature properly implemented like in IL2.

Il-2 doesn't model engine temperture properly, it just has a more varried timer system and no autoshutoff.

The fact is  that WWII aircraft engines could be run at emergency power for hours.  The 5 minute WEP limit wasn't to prevent engine failure, it was to fit engine wear into a regular maintainance schedule.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 11:26:34 PM »
"Use aviation grade straight mineral oil for the first 25 hours and continue to use for the first 50 hours or until oil consumption stabilizes.  Until then, no HOing with 190s"  <----- from the P-47's POH
Its true