Author Topic: Hey Christmas...Where's The Enemy?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Hey Christmas...Where's The Enemy?
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2005, 06:48:25 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Odd. Every one of those links works perfectly for me

Yep, some are working now thanks.

Lets see what they say....

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051129/LIFESTYLE04/511290380/1005/LIFESTYLE

^ This one is about a family violating the rules of their home owners association. The one they agreed to abide by when they bought their house. Can you say "personal responsibility?" I knew you could.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/11/30/de_christmasing_christmas/?p1=MEWell_Pos3

^ an Op-ed piece about Boston calling it a Holiday Tree. I agree it is kinda silly to call it a Holiday Tree.
an annual gift from the people of Nova Scotia -- is identified on Boston's official website as a ''holiday tree," the city's commissioner of parks and recreation sided firmly with the critics. ''This is a Christmas tree," Antonia Pollak declared. ''It's definitely a Christmas tree."
 I looked on Boston's Web site, couldn't find a reference to a "Holiday Tree".

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/a...RTICLE_ID=29942

^ bad link or it's gone.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Article...cle.asp?ID=3837

Another bad link, although I went to the main page (it is a very one sided site) and found an Op-ed on "Atheists for Christmas" ...........more opinions not more facts.

The rest... nothing.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2005, 06:49:08 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
If Islam were being taught instead of be 'taught about' I would agree. I see nothing wrong with teaching children the history and significance to a particular religion of Easter, or Ramadan or Chanuka or whatever.

The problem arises when religion becomes the message instead of a subject of study.

See now I would agree totally in what you say here.

Problem is and what many are taking offense to is these other religions are often being included. While Christianity it traditions are intentionally being excluded.

Christians are in essence being told to be accepting to other faiths and traditions while their own and their own traditions are not being accepted.

Hence we now are seeing the "Holiday tree"
Which while yes did not originally start as a Christian thing has since been a Christian tradition for the last several hundred years.

The killer part that amuses me the most is no matter how many people I've talked to I have YET to come across one solitary person of whom is supposed to be being offended by a Christmas tree as being offended by it or being called a Christmas tree. In fact Many embrace it and all accept it for what its known as a "Christmas Tree"
Several I deal with regularly for several years now never fail to give me a Christmas gift near Christmas

Example. There are alot of Indians and Pakistanis here in NJ. While still very much a minority they are probably the single largest growing segment of the population. Some are Christian. Some Muslim, Most by far are Hindu
I get to deal with alot of them and I have yet to meet one who hasnt wished me a Merry Christmas. or that doesnt actually get a Christmas tree.
And you know what they call it??

Hold the phones and take a seat cause this is going to shock you.

they call it
 A flipping "Christmas Tree"
No, they do not celebrate Christmas for the same reasons as us but they are absolutely in love with our tradition of HOW we celebrate it, With the tree, the lights. Santa and the Reindeer. And the Gifts on Christmas morning  And they dont call it "Holiday" they call it "Christmas"
And yanno what else.

They arent offended.
I actually asked several about this and they arent.
They want to assimilate as Americans and just dont want their kids to feel left out. But they LOVE the idea of it because it to them is fun and they get an excuse to uncharacteristically spoil their kids and each other without actually doing so.
Which oddly enough is how Santa became so popular in this country to begin with.

They arent offended and they do not expect us to change just to suit them.
Contrary to popular belief these people want to be more like us

The only ones I've found that are worried about it being offensive to anyone are people who arent even of nationalities or the religions that are supposed to be offended by it.

Equally funny is this isnt just about religeon its just as much about tradition.
Most of these people dont want us to change our traditions for them.
they want to take in them with us
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2005, 06:54:51 PM »
Ok in a nutshell its like this.

the enemy is a group of people pushing to omit refrences to Christmas or religeon itself for that matter so as not to offend people whom the vast bulk of which arent even offended to begin with
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2005, 06:58:23 PM »

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2005, 07:16:32 PM »
I blame Barbra Streisand.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2005, 07:24:12 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
I blame Barbra Streisand.

Yanno my mother used to have her..Christmas album.

Never quite got why she would make a Christmas album but she did.
and we. Unfortunately. Had it LMAO
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:44:02 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2005, 07:42:22 PM »

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2005, 07:54:20 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Yanno my mother used to have her..Christmas album.

Never quite got why she would make a Christmas album but she did.
and we. Unfortunately. Had it LMAO

One word answer to why: MONEY.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2005, 08:51:37 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
You are suspciously absent from this thread Midnight...

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=166734&referrerid=3203

No I'm not.. I'm mentioned at least twice.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2005, 10:25:27 PM »
What do you expect?

Les

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2005, 10:39:42 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
no christmas for joo!

Now why do you have to bring up Jews?:)
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2005, 03:36:22 AM »
Originally posted by Silat
Now why do you have to bring up Jews?:)

Watch the drugs in your head video  http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2005, 04:35:07 AM »
MT -  don't kid yourself, liberals are jumping up and down on this issue just as hard as conservatives  (just look in the mirror)

The painful truth is that the enemy is "us."  Americans have changed a great deal from the way we were in the past...  a result of being the great meltingpot of cultures.  America is no longer as homogenious as it was.  Politicos from both sides use the issue like a baseball bat.

Merry Christmas MT :)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2005, 08:56:15 AM »
sandie...maybe I don't really know "you"... more likely tho... you don't know you or.... maybe you are voicing opinions that are not your own on this BB...

Before you went all "pithy" and semi mute on us... your posts were very revealing... they still are by what you reply to and how.  

I believe that my assesment of the person you are portraying here is accurate.   I also believe that if you don't think it is...

That you are one of the few.

lazs

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »
Hi again MT,

Originally posted by midnight Target
If Islam were being taught instead of be 'taught about' I would agree. I see nothing wrong with teaching children the history and significance to a particular religion of Easter, or Ramadan or Chanuka or whatever.

The problem arises when religion becomes the message instead of a subject of study.

Respectfully, if the local school system were to contact me and invite me to come teach a course on the history, doctrine, and practice of Christianity using my own materials and bringing Christian kids  "to share the practices and beliefs", they would have the ACLU all over them faster than you can say "Holiday Tree." The program would immediately be accused of being a not-so-subtle attempt to "indoctrinate impressionable children." For instance, let me simply ask Silat (who is actually a little more tolerant than the average ACLU lawyer), if he would be ok with programs where evangelical Christian pastors and evangelical kids teach what they want to about Christianity in the public schools.

If schools can't even add "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" to a reading program without being accused of crossing the mythical constitutional line, then "Christianity 101" certainly isn't going to pass muster with the comrade lawyers.
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams