Author Topic: Need help with Fighting  (Read 1182 times)

Offline 665AcE

• Zinc Member
Need help with Fighting
« on: December 26, 2005, 10:36:45 PM »
Having troubles with dogfigthing will always get outshot!

Need Help
AH 2 Tag :665AcE

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: Need help with Fighting
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 01:46:58 AM »
Originally posted by 665AcE
Having troubles with dogfigthing will always get outshot!

Need Help
AH 2 Tag :665AcE

you and half the AH pilots... Seriously, i think you need to be more specific.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 02:11:50 AM »
You might check in the Training Arena for some folks to help you with some general or specific issues.  There are almost always folks in there willing to help and there are frequently AH trainers around in there to provide assistance.  Just log in and ask for help.

Also check this board for primers on everything from dogfighting in general to specific problems you may have.

Zaphod

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:53:02 AM »
Another thing to think about is plane choice. Depending on wich plane you fly and wich plane type you fight.

What i usually recommend is selecting one or maybe two (similar) planes and fly them for a tour or two, to get to learn them inside out, its advantages/diasadvanatges and best used tactics. Then move to the next plane/tactics.....

And training arena is a very good advice..... you can learn a lot from many different pilots.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 10:12:58 AM »
i'll be on tonight, find me about, and i'll teach ya a thing or two :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »
The first, and MOST important thing you need to learn is....

your going to get shot down A LOT !!! Get use to it.!!!

Even the "hot shots" get jumped and end up dead, so you are in with the right crowd. :) Treat each flight as a learning experiance, and try not to get too frustrated. Its a game, have fun !! Lots of great people in both the training arena and the main arena will help you out.

Training arena---- ask for help in almost anything and most people will give you a hand weather its learning a trick or two, or just having someone be a target for ya to learn the proper lead.

Main Arena---- after you get shot down, if ya ask the guy who just killed ya "how'd ya do that?" or "What did I do wrong?", most will give ya a civil answer, those that don't most likely just got lucky and have no idea how they got ya  ;)

Good luck, practice is all ya need !
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 04:01:19 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 06:11:46 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive

Good luck, practice is all ya need !

That and the willingness to learn, to ask, and the spirit of 'never giving up'.

If you meet/met someone that "pwnd" you, ask how he did it. 80% of the time hell tell you. If he doesnt, hes a .
Yes youll get shot down a lot, hell if i dare take a look at my K/D either MA or DA..... *shudder* - no, better not talk about it. But as Fugitive said: HAVE FUN! and keep learning. Forget your score, at least for a while, it isnt a measure of skill anyways.

And film your fights (alt R). Watch them with external view, trail, icons and recorded view on. At the beginning its difficult to analyse them, but youll get the hang of it, and you can actually *see* how the other guy did what he did or how you did it or what went wrong. If you cant get any headway with a film, post it here and ask for help. (If you dont want it public, you can mail me the film, ill see what i can tell you :)). Or get a hold of one of the trainers through trainers@hitechcreations.com.

Offline Naytch

• Copper Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 10:24:15 PM »
Hey there 665ace. I flew defense with you and a few others the other day. From what I saw you don't suck. Your just inexperienced. I saw you land some decent shots and you seemed to have decent knowledge of ACM.

I just think that it's just inexperience, you'll get over it eventually. I think (i emphasize THINK) the reason your feeling that you suck is cuz the other night, you mainly flew against zekes. It's expected for zekes to outmanuever you, so don't think the pilots are better than you.

In time you'll learn how to deal with various situations. Your flying and gunnery wasn't so bad so TA can only do so much for you.

But then again, maybe I'm wrong and you were just lucky the other night and if that's the case TA is your best friend

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 08:01:15 PM »
Yeah, ACM is only a smal part of learning to fly effectively.  Once you have a basic grasp of the principles of ACM, I found that SA (situational awareness) was, and is much harder to learn.  And much mor crucial to living, particularly in the MA.

Offline 665AcE

• Zinc Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 03:59:37 PM »
Thank you guys for your support.

I have one more question.

1.) When I am behind a nme plane and then he turns.  I will always get outtruned and then i will fadeout and lose him and then he will come up from behind me and shoot me down.

Any tips?

AH TAG: 665AcE

XXO  8th/305thBG

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 04:06:33 PM »
You're blacking out when that happens. You're pulling too many Gs. Try "riding the edge" so that you have tunnel vision but can still see. Ease up on the stick if you are blacking out completely. If he's still out turning you, slow down, try a different turn (high/low), or re-think your need to turn with him.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 04:18:18 PM »
Blackout: Krusty is right. Too many Gs.

That means lowering speed and/or widen turn.

As for getting outturned: First, if stall limiter is not off, TURN IT OFF (SETUP>PREFERENCES>Flight). It keeps you from using the full envelope of your plane. With it on, youll *always* get outturned by almost anything.

Then, my suggestion would be: think 3D. use the vertical. That means instead of flat turning to follow the enemy that breaks, pull up (start of an immelman), watch the opponent in your upper/upper back view and pull over and behind him. Sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. Just go straight up, look at the enemy plane and think "i want his a** - how do i get there" :). By 'using the vert' you do two things: You get yourself in a higher = better position and you loose excess speed (without loosing E by converting it to alt) to be able to turn in a smaller radius.

You might also want to take a look at this thread.

And dont forget the training arena :).

Offline 665AcE

• Zinc Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 09:21:35 PM »
Also guys i need help knowing which planes are matched better with others.

Also what is the best turning and fastest plane.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 10:28:12 PM »
Heres the speed data: data

And an unofficial turn performance thread  Here
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Need help with Fighting
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »
There are several "best turners" - any spit, a6ms, ki84, if you're slow with full flaps anything US [okay not p40s], n1k2, hurricanes, f4f4/fm2s

There are several "fastest". Tempest is the fastest prop plane in the game. La7 is the fastest non-perked (and the fastest by a good 25mph I think), but 190D, p51D, and 109K4 are all relatively fast. F4u4 very fast on deck as well, but perked.