Author Topic: Rams  (Read 2375 times)

Offline IownU

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Rams
« on: January 03, 2006, 01:15:13 PM »
ok i have a problem with the curent ramming. one plane can ram you and still fly away with nothing wrong with it, then you get to reup and get rammed again. last i knew if you rammed someone both planes blew up so could someone explane how the whole ramming thing works and how they decide what plane blows up or loses a wing ect. ect.:O

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Rams
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 01:19:53 PM »
thers alot of current threads on this..jfyi

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Rams
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 02:48:28 PM »
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Rams
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 03:00:32 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy in yet another Ram Model thread that got closed

Here is one of the many discussions HT participated in about this topic.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Rams
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »
Butt?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 06:54:18 PM »
Im not  real happy with the way rams go either.
There seems ot be many more of them then there used ot be.

But heres a thought.

I bet if people tried to HO less there would be ALOT less rams overall
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Rams
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:49:45 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK

But heres a thought.

A Ram is just a HO with too much follow-thru... ;)

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:55:35 AM »
Here is how it works for all the those, who for some reason can't understand the concept ...

The other night I lifted and a vulcher was on his way in to shoot me ... about D1.5 out I pointed my nose at him for the HO ... fired at D800 ... pulled up real hard at D400 ... and saw in the text buffer ...

"XXX has collided with you"

Now when I pulled hard a D400 I clearly went over the top of the vulcher and did not hit him ... ON MY FRONT-END

I looked to the rear and yup, he was a smoking wreck from a collision ... ya wanna know why ... because ... ON HIS FRONT-END there was a collision with me and it was reported to the server as a collision ... hence his smoking wreck and I cleanly fly away.

You MUST understand that information from my Front-End and his Front-End are not INSTANTLY relayed to the server and back to each persons Front-End ... it's PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE ... this means that we ALL don't see EXACTLY what each other sees at the EXACT SAME MOMENT, but we eventually do see exactly what each other sees ... eventually.

Now had I recieved the message ...

"You collided with XXX", then I WOULD HAVE SEEN a collision on my Front-End and I would have been the smoking wreck.

You don't want to suffer from RAMs ? .... then don't worry about what happened to the other guy ... worry about your personal space in this virtual world.

If the text buffer reports ... "You collided with XXX" ... then you have no one to blame but yourself ... fly your wreck into the ground ... get in a new plane ... and try NOT to fly into other planes. It's a real simple concept.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Rams
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 09:22:50 AM »
I also love those people that complain about you ramming them but you get the "you have collided / so and so has collided with you" In ram speak says that Mr. X failed to pull out of their ram either. So it was both of our fault but some how they always miss the part where they hit you also.
  I had this happen a while ago with Rmaniac, I was in a 110 he was in a tempest. after the first pass or two he ends up above me and to my left so being that I was in a 110 I attempt to go for a ho. It turns out I didn't have enough E and can't pull up enough to get my sight on him so I start going nose down and turnig back to the right. He continues to fly right at me and flys through the top of my left wing and we get the duel collision message I hit him - he hit me, but for some reason according to him on 200 I was the rammer even though at the time of impact my nose was pointed at least 45 degrees away from his plane. All I could do is laugh at him for being pissed about loseing the tempest. :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline IownU

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Rams
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 10:10:05 AM »
lmfao Rmanic wines and gets pissed everytime he gets shot down:O

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Rams
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 12:54:34 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK

But heres a thought.

"Aces HO" ... that's what the game feels like most of the time. Head-on hits are still the easiest to get, especially since the latest version.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
"Aces HO" ... that's what the game feels like most of the time. Head-on hits are still the easiest to get, especially since the latest version.

Have to agree with ya there ... for most ... HO is the first and only resort, but I have yet to die (even since the latest release) to an HO unless I chose to trade 0 degree deflection with my opponent ... but then again, this thread is about the dreaded RAM ... :O

YMMV
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 05:37:06 PM »

Its basically what its become.
It was bad before but its rediculous now
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Rams
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 05:47:12 PM »

still say it's a learning curve, and that's just where the ho'rs are "at" in the curve.  We as a community just need to get 'em trained up somewhat.  

I'm with slapshot, I can't think of dying more than once to a HO in the past 3-4 tours.  They are just too easy to avoid.  

(eeek.. sorry this is about rams isn't it.)
uhh... Ram's been posted to death on.  Simple "Search" and you will see that the way collisions are modeled is basically the BEST way that HTC can do it.  

You "SEE" the ram on your Front End, you get damage.  You don't "See" the ram on your Front End, you don't.

What most don't seem to understand is that what you and your enemy "See" is slightly different.  What is a ram to you, is a near miss to them or vs. versa. due to internet lag.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 05:49:05 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Have to agree with ya there ... for most ... HO is the first and only resort, but I have yet to die (even since the latest release) to an HO unless I chose to trade 0 degree deflection with my opponent ... but then again, this thread is about the dreaded RAM ... :O

YMMV

Sorry as far as Im concerned a few degrees one way or the other is still a HO.
Rarely is ther ever a true zero degree anything LOL

The ones I find most irritating is when there 6 to your one and all 6 try for every HO opportunity they get.

Your right this thread is about the ram.
But my question is. is the drastic rise in rams in large part due to the equally drastic rise in HO attempts?

Also I seem to remember more mutual collisions before. now its more like 95% of the time only one plane gets damaged.

The one type of collision I find the most annoying is one where on MY end it DID NOT  look like we collided yet I get the collision message, and damage to go with it anyway.
Had exactly this situation happen last night.
Plane was comming at me  and looked to me like he passed a good 10-15 feet under me as I pulled up. Yet I get the "you have collided with" message and my plane spirals to the ground.

Anyone else experiance this?
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty