Author Topic: Rams  (Read 2378 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
(eeek.. sorry this is about rams isn't it.)
uhh... Ram's been posted to death on.  Simple "Search" and you will see that the way collisions are modeled is basically the BEST way that HTC can do it.  

You "SEE" the ram on your Front End, you get damage.  You don't "See" the ram on your Front End, you don't.

What most don't seem to understand is that what you and your enemy "See" is slightly different.  What is a ram to you, is a near miss to them or vs. versa. due to internet lag.

I get that.
What I DONT get is when I DONT SEE a ram on my and and get one anyway
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
if i can't shoot you down , i'll ram you .......thats whats parachutes are for.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Rams
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 06:49:10 PM »
i understand the ram model...what really annoys me though is when im in a buff straight and level and using guns i get rammed and lose a plane while enemy flys away..explain this one bohdi..please? he actually pulls away but my end sees a ram and i lose a plane? thats complete crap if ya ask me... :(

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Rams
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 07:00:44 PM »
Originally posted by jaxxo
thats complete crap if ya ask me... :(

Nobody asked you. :)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Rams
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 08:48:12 PM »
Originally posted by jaxxo
i understand the ram model...what really annoys me though is when im in a buff straight and level and using guns i get rammed and lose a plane while enemy flys away..explain this one bohdi..please? he actually pulls away but my end sees a ram and i lose a plane? thats complete crap if ya ask me... :(

Actually werent some of the planes designed to and wasnt one of the tactics used was to  ram through the ings of bombers?

I may be wrong but
I seem to remember hearing something about that
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Rams
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »
The overuse of HO and ramming has been with this genre since Day #1. While in theory you can avoid being HO'd and rammed, in practice it's not so easy. Especially in a furball where half the planes are N1K's or Hurri IIC's who are looking for the HO shot and not much else.

The worst problem, though, is that players shouldn't HAVE TO avoid being HO'd or rammed. Fighter to fighter HO's should be so hard to do unless both parties bore right in on each other that it's not worth trying. Think about how small these planes are from the forward aspect, how restricted the forward view is, and how fast the closure is.

And the collision code just got wonked somehow and people *are* taking advantage because they've learned how to induce a crash on someone else's front end while avoiding it on theirs.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Rams
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 11:43:24 PM »
there was a dedicated group pf 190 pilots who protected the "fatherland"  by any means possible...ramming was a last resort but they were pledged to do it against buffs...other than that it was not a legit practice as the pilot was more valuable..in most cases.

anyway someone answer the buff ram question please?

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Rams
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »
An example of different "front ends":

I got the message "someone has collided with you".

From my front end it's clear that we missed (just barely).

The other front end must have been closer; where the wings actually hit.  Therefore I get the "someone has collided with you" mesage the the other person gets the "You have collided" message.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Rams
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 03:57:34 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Actually werent some of the planes designed to and wasnt one of the tactics used was to  ram through the ings of bombers?

I may be wrong but

I don't know if they were designed for it, but I have a book about the IJAF Aces, and in the late war period many of the entries are about IJAF pilots in Ki-45s ramming B-29s head on to take them down.  Don't ask me how, but the bios on the pilots would tell the story of them shooting down x B29s by ramming, yet have them noted as surviving the war.  Apparently they had entire Sentais set up for this tactic, and had some way figured to be able to ram a bomber and live to tell the tale.

EagleDNY
:eek: :eek:

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Rams
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »
Would you twits PLEASE stop whining about HO's? It isn't exactly difficult to avoid the jousting idiots. The only plane that can make you work to avoid a HO is a hurricane. And getting shot in a nose-nose turn when you're engaged isn't a HO... it's just unfortunate.
Army of Muppets

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Rams
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 07:08:25 PM »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Rams
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 09:13:22 AM »
"Only YOU can prevent forest fires,errr Collisions!"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Rams
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 09:24:54 AM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
"Aces HO" ... that's what the game feels like most of the time. Head-on hits are still the easiest to get, especially since the latest version.

AMEN.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Rams
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 09:27:11 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK

I may be wrong but

During the Nazi's Invasion of Poland.  The Poles would ram 109s intentionally (FACT not fiction, like the "charging tanks on horseback")

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Intentional Ramming during WW2
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2006, 09:57:15 AM »
In the latter stages of World War II Luftwaffe pilots of certain units flew armored 190's into bomber streams. Their mission was to disrupt the stream and if need be, RAM the bombers.
 A good article about this type of flying and one of the units is in "Flight Journal Warplanes of the Third Reich". This article is written by Feldwebel Oscar Boesch of  Sturmstaffel 1(JG) 3 UDET.

SIM
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:59:54 AM by SIM »