Author Topic: X45.... worth buying?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 05:54:36 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
I use the saitek profile software with XP pro and do not have any issues

Maybe it's my bad luck but sudden boots's, CTD's, sticky keys, no profile and/or stick reponse after x minutes/moon position/sea level etc AND limited programming finally drives me off from saitek drivers.

Dhauzimmer + XD-profile take some time to get use to but it pays off.

Schatzi, you can use also a car pedals as a rudder in AH. I use Logitech rud... pedals :)

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 01:32:48 AM »
I have had both sticks, I used the X45 first, and I had many problems with it's mapping software.

I now have the X52 and I have NO problems with it's mapping software, I also use it with the CH pro pedals, It is a great set up! I am very happy with it. It has a better feel that the X45, and the JS is lightly sprung compared to the X45, and I like that.

MHO
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 08:47:15 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated.

As i said, ill probably go for a X45, with possible upgrade of pedals etc later. Im currently monitoring ebay even though it seems that the price for a new one isnt all that much higher anyway. I just wish there was something like refurbished stuff in Germany.

PS: Sled, i like my Joystick rather firm ;).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 01:34:47 PM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
The biggest thing though is  the thing is sticky if you want to make fine adjustments. I keep a cotton swab that is greased up to lube the "cup" the stick rides in.

Try this.

Greatest stuff since sliced bread
Teflon Lube

comes with a little hose (like WD40) so you can put it exactly where you want it but lasts longer.
Sprays out thin like WD40 but turns into a gel almost immediatly,it wont drip onto other parts and displaces and repels water

Works GREAT on fishing reels too
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:36:53 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
PS: Sled, i like my Joystick rather firm ;).

In that case, the next time i'm in Germany, I'll give you a call.:D
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 02:18:52 PM »
X 45 works very good Schatzi.
It is an inexpensive alternative to the Ch sets available. Rocker rudder can be hard to get use to. The spring tention can be adjusted in the stick very easily. there is a retaining ring in the mount that can be turned counter clockwise to loosen the stick. I would not recommend putting any lubrication in the mechanisim itself. Reversing the axis in th throttle makes it much more comfortable to use. It has a multitude of programmable hat switches. In the states you can not buy them new it is the x 52 or nada. I got mine about a year ago it has held up very well!:aok

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 08:11:01 PM »
You guys and your "Twisty" hangup. The X52 is NOT ONLY a twisty stick. You can lock that option and it is quite stable.

You can also adjust the Grip to make it a bit smaller.

Schatzi.....

X45 will work just fine for you. Pick one up and have no worries. It is a bit stiffer than what you may be used to.:lol However , I think youll hadle it just fine.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 04:12:21 AM »
I have aquired a used X45 via Ebay two months ago. Works fine for me, after a month i got used to the stiff spring and my hit % restored to its former level.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 07:59:01 AM »
Just ordered myself a new X45.

Watch me flaunder and crash the next weeks ;).

Thanks for all the help I got! Very much appreciated.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »
Sorry if I hijack this thread (not true, as Schatzi knows, I'm a professional hijacker :D), I just bought an X 52 and I have a couple of questions:

As you stated, the spring is quite limp and I don't like it... is there a way to stiffen it? Something comparable to what Lye El did to lighten his spring? Keep in mind that I'm a total noob in this kind of works! :p

The right turn thing: in the last months I noticed that it was impossible to leave the stick without the plane bank to the right, but I just thought it was fault of my old stick... now it keeps doing it even with the 52. Have to calibrate the stick every time I enter the game? Does it suffice to solve the problem?

Thank you! :)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 11:39:54 AM »
I owned an X45 and the spring became so stiff that any sort of minute movement was impossible. I found that the rocker rudder was a tad tough to operate when at full throttle, so as above, reverse the throttle imput if you need to.

I prefer the X52, the spring and contact is a heck of a lot smoother, the bases are smaller, and the additional buttons and adjustment settings are a HUGE plus.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »
Well, after roughly a week i can report that im quite happy with my X45.

Yes, the springs are pretty stiff, but thats just the way i like it. All sliders maxed out, deadband/damping to 0 it makes for a fine control.

Rocker rudder *is* hard to reach, but managable. Ive thought about mouting the throttle on a wooden plate with a slight inclination.

Also the base of the throttle isnt very stable, so i might just end up strapping them both to some sort of "construction" to put on my desk.

Schatzi

PS: Gian, im sorry i cant help with your stiffness problem ;).

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 04:54:54 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Well, after roughly a week i can report that im quite happy with my X45.

Yes, the springs are pretty stiff, but thats just the way i like it. All sliders maxed out, deadband/damping to 0 it makes for a fine control.

Rocker rudder *is* hard to reach, but managable. Ive thought about mouting the throttle on a wooden plate with a slight inclination.

Also the base of the throttle isnt very stable, so i might just end up strapping them both to some sort of "construction" to put on my desk.

Schatzi

PS: Gian, im sorry i cant help with your stiffness problem ;).

Schatzi,

I found that "silicone grease" (available at Home Depot in the plumbing dept.) works well on the base of the stick.  It helps smooth up the action of the stick for when you just wanna make very small, minute corrections.

As far as mounting it, I took an old piece of shelf about 24 inches long and mounted the sticks to that.  Then, I just use a couple of C-clamp type things to hold it to the desk when flying.  When not flying, off it comes, and others can use the computer with no problem.
I'd put a picture on here, but it says I'm not allowed to post attachments....

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 02:55:34 AM »
Thanks John.

To post pics here, you need to host them on the web (for ex Picture Hangar). Upload it there, the post the link (parse it with IMG tags).

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 08:23:42 AM »
if you don't mind the wrinkle noise, just slip a piece of wax paper folded to provide two sided wax coating in between the bottom of the spring cup and the top of the rubber boot. just cut a hole in the middle to go around the jstick shaft and you are good to go...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals