Author Topic: Liberals lose power in Canada  (Read 679 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Liberals lose power in Canada
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2006, 08:57:18 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
elimination of "corporate welfare" eg no more taxpayer $$$ given to auto manufacturers(woulda been a lot more Ford plants closing here if he had won previously)

pulling out of Kyoto,

With the exception of these two points, I agree with everything you said.

It's not the responsibility of the tax payers to prop up poorly run companies.  And I though I am for the decrease in green house gases, Kyoto actually promotes the increase of them.  The mechanisms in Kyoto is suppose to allow for the industrialisation of third world countries.  But because they get paid for greenhouse gas credits it promotes thier maintaining the status quo.  The net effect is our tax dollars being taken and given to third world country governments, regardless of their corruption or tyranny.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 09:00:51 AM by Thrawn »

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Liberals lose power in Canada
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2006, 09:23:36 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
It's not the responsibility of the tax payers to prop up poorly run companies.  

I agree %100 as well..I don't want taxpayer $$$ handed out to huge corporations who are making billions in profits...im all for banning "corporate welfare" but it's not realistic...Unless USA,Korea,Mexico etc all ban it at the same time the corporations will simply pack up and move to where they can get free taxpayer $$$.

eg..the days leading up to yesterday's Ford's big axe-chop almost all of the threatened plants in the USA had local govt's offering big $$$ incentives(tax dollars) to change Ford's mind...It isn't right but everyone is doing it...

If Harper had won a majority and banned it here you would see that new Flex-plant in Oakville go south(or overseas) and 4000 jobs(+ 40000 spin-off jobs) vanish.

What Harper needs to say is that he will push for a global ban(or at least a NA ban) on corporate handouts.

Same with the Aircraft industry..Dehavillands(where i works for 5 yrs) gets the handout mostly cause the competition in turboprops are LARGELY subsidized by their respective govts...How are you supposed to compete or simply survive?

as fer Kyoto...i would rather err on the side of mother earth than the corporate bean counter.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**