Author Topic: Most popular fighter in the MA?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
Most popular fighter in the MA?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 02:25:11 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Krusty, we use percentages as a means of comparison for a reason.  I think you currently fail to understand that reason.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Lev - why do you always sound so 'intellectually engaged'?

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
CC -

I added this bit while you were posting I guess -

Using your own words -
"10% of spit16 use is STILL almost double the 20% of chog use back in the "teens" tours.

Then factor in there is more than triple (452k v 130k) overall kills, the 10% looks tame compared to the unperked Chog tours.

Basically the XVI has almost double the kills of the CHog, but in an MA with over triple the overall kills compared to the earlier MA.
Hardly a reason for a perk of any kind.

The reason it should be perked is because the Spit14 (or XIV for you Spit-luvas) is perked.  They are very equal except at high alt, and who even flyies at high alt in the game anyways?

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 02:33:10 PM »
Originally posted by Casper1
The reason it should be perked is because the Spit14 (or XIV for you Spit-luvas) is perked.  They are very equal except at high alt, and who even flyies at high alt in the game anyways?

On the precept that the number 16 is higher than the number 14, so it must be better?

Bit of news -
Spit 16 is a Spit 9 with a Merlin engine made in the USA.
Could have just as easily been tagged Spit LF IXe instead of Spit XVI.

In fact take the 50cals off it, it is a 1943 LF IX, same motor, airframe.

Spit 14 is a Griffon engine Spit.

Easy timeline -
1943 - Spit IXc fitted with Merlin 66, redesignated LF IXc
1944 - 'e' wing (50cal and 20mm) introduced
1944 - Spit LF IXc with 'e' wing redesignated LF IXe
1944 - Packard produces Merlin 66 in the US with model name Merlin 266
1944 - Spit LF IXe with US Merlin 266 redesignated Spit XVI

If you think they are very equal - try the AvA next week when both become available. (14 will be free)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 02:57:36 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 03:52:01 PM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
And while I have your attention ... Whats up with the 50 cals  , they dont seam to have any power anymore ..

"Our 50 cal's would Cut a boxcar in half"   (I forgot who quoted this but it was one of the WW2 Jug Pilots)

Yeah! The cine film I've seen from Jugs attacking ground targets with .50s show complete havoc being wreaked, with targets blowing up and the ground generally erupting in hellfire.
Don't know if this  stuff's well known to everybody, but for those who haven't seen it...
Some fabulous colour footage of and from Jugs, showing how effective their .50s were.
For those of you who haven't seen these films, they're a treat. 5mins and 11mins. First film is of/from P47s and the second film is a mish mash of aircraft and contains more familiar footage such as bits from the Memphis Belle prop/doc.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=75277905547951258&q=%22P-47+Guncamera+footage%22+playable%3Atrue
And more.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6641591019511780418
All thanks to  http://www.ww2incolor.com  They have more colour films there to watch.
I don't want to hijack this thread so best not  post any comments about the films here.

KD
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 04:52:28 PM by KD303 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2006, 04:48:17 PM »
I admit, at FIRST I said "it's this %, that's that % this is worse" THEN I actually tallied up the numbers to check.

It's still by far THE most used plane in the entire game. You are more likely to run into a crowd of 5 enemy and have 3 of them be spit16s than you are to have a pony, a n1k2, a lala, a spit and a dora.

So like I said, I predict it'll be sooner or later, unless the numbers REALLY drop down and level out (not too likely). I suspect in 4 months or so when there's enough of a history to go back and look at the tour stats.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2006, 05:58:58 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I admit, at FIRST I said "it's this %, that's that % this is worse" THEN I actually tallied up the numbers to check.

It's still by far THE most used plane in the entire game. You are more likely to run into a crowd of 5 enemy and have 3 of them be spit16s than you are to have a pony, a n1k2, a lala, a spit and a dora.

So like I said, I predict it'll be sooner or later, unless the numbers REALLY drop down and level out (not too likely). I suspect in 4 months or so when there's enough of a history to go back and look at the tour stats.

Yes, it is much more likely that you will run into 3/5 Spit 16s than that exact combination of other planes, but that is misleading because in both cases you are talking about less than a 1% chance if you assume 5 people picking their planes independantly and at random.  

For the record though, I calculated it to be a .09% chance of running into 3 Spit 16s out of 5 planes if you assume the above and use the death numbers to approximate actual numbers of planes.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2006, 07:06:22 PM »
Let me sum the last half of this thread up... skuzzy, you can lock it now.

1. There are too many newbies flying Spit16's. Surprise surprise.
2. Krusty has far too much time on his hands, and doesn't have enough things to worry about.
Army of Muppets

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2006, 03:32:35 AM »
Originally posted by Casper1
Lev - why do you always sound so 'intellectually engaged'?

Because hes a *very* smart boy.... :D
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2006, 08:59:39 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
On the precept that the number 16 is higher than the number 14, so it must be better?

Bit of news -
Spit 16 is a Spit 9 with a Merlin engine made in the USA.
Could have just as easily been tagged Spit LF IXe instead of Spit XVI.

In fact take the 50cals off it, it is a 1943 LF IX, same motor, airframe.

Spit 14 is a Griffon engine Spit.

Easy timeline -
1943 - Spit IXc fitted with Merlin 66, redesignated LF IXc
1944 - 'e' wing (50cal and 20mm) introduced
1944 - Spit LF IXc with 'e' wing redesignated LF IXe
1944 - Packard produces Merlin 66 in the US with model name Merlin 266
1944 - Spit LF IXe with US Merlin 266 redesignated Spit XVI

If you think they are very equal - try the AvA next week when both become available. (14 will be free)

The .50 cals make it a much better plane than the Spit 9.  Also, the Spit14 has this awful tendency to lose its wings in high-G manuevers, whereas (in my limited experience) the Spit 16 does not.

I also feel that the Spit16 (b/c of its clipped wing design) is a better rolling plane than the 9, and seems to handle somewhat better overall.

I am not disagreeing with your facts Kev, you definetly know your aircraft.  My argument is that the Spit14 is very much on par with the 16 considering their different pros/cons in the AH world.  But the 14 is perked...

Anyways...onto the next whine :)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2006, 09:02:44 AM »
this hardly seems right...

Are you guys saying that in a late war dominated arena.... that people are shunning the 109 like it was.... well.... like.... like...

some tarted up outdated design being produced by a losing country or something?

Have they not heard of hartman?

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2006, 09:08:40 AM »
Lazs I read your reply almost 10 minutes ago and it still has me laughing.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
OK Folks gonna say this one time.  Maybe splain a few things for those of you who don't know.....or know and forget.  IF you're in a faster plane then a spitfire and lose, there are only a few ways you can lose and both reasons are your fault.

1.)  Your're in anything but a Zero and you try to outfight a spit in a turnfight.

2.)  You're trapped on the deck slow.

Spits fall apart just like anything else in this game when hit buy bullits.  Why would you want to turnfight a spit when you have a faster aircraft?  Choice of combat is yours if coalt......set the target up and do what you have to!  Use what advantages your aircraft has over the spits, and don't fight into the advantages of the spit.  This of course goes for whatever aircraft you chose to fly.  Really these are basic and rudimentary rules for smart combat.  Easy to remember.  When you get shot down not the other pilots fault in all instances it's yours!  You enabled him to get you in his sights.  Don't blame it on the spit, Chog or La7.....it's you.

By the way......I'm in favor of only perking the 262 and the 163 for obvious reasons.  All other aircraft don't need perked imho.  Any prop plane in this game can be beaten by another.  Hos"?  Avoid them.  If not....well get another airplane you pay for them.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »
:aok

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2006, 10:27:37 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo
OK Folks gonna say this one time.  Maybe splain a few things for those of you who don't know.....or know and forget.  IF you're in a faster plane then a spitfire and lose, there are only a few ways you can lose and both reasons are your fault.

1.)  Your're in anything but a Zero and you try to outfight a spit in a turnfight.

Spits fall apart just like anything else in this game when hit buy bullits.  Why would you want to turnfight a spit when you have a faster aircraft?  Choice of combat is yours if coalt......set the target up and do what you have to!  Use what advantages your aircraft has over the spits, and don't fight into the advantages of the spit.  This of course goes for whatever aircraft you chose to fly.  Really these are basic and rudimentary rules for smart combat.  Easy to remember.  When you get shot down not the other pilots fault in all instances it's yours!  You enabled him to get you in his sights.  Don't blame it on the spit, Chog or La7.....it's you.

By the way......I'm in favor of only perking the 262 and the 163 for obvious reasons.  All other aircraft don't need perked imho.  Any prop plane in this game can be beaten by another.  Hos"?  Avoid them.  If not....well get another airplane you pay for them.

Beautifull! We need to sticky this! This is the essence of air combat, simulated and actual.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 10:27:50 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo

AMEN !....
No Snivelers !......
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.