Author Topic: Need new Monitor  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Need new Monitor
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 11:38:03 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Oh yeah, you're screwed.  I cannot figure out why the IT sector (and no offense to those stuck in that task) still has any credibility left.  They buy into all the marketing speil from MS every time MS releases a new OS.

Remember how MS touted how secure XP was when they released it?  Now they are saying Vista will be even more secure?  While they are still releasing security updates for XP.

Or how about how MS has provided applications private/hidden registry entries so they can auto-start and prevent the typical user from stopping them?  Vista appears to have more entries which cannot be altered with the registry editor, and some which will not even show up in the registry editor.  Wait until the spyware/malware kiddies get a hold of those.

I feel for ya Ripley, or anyone stuck in the corporate IT sector.

Well if get get my way at work Vista will NEVER rear its ugly head there.
At the moment every new laptop/desktop that comes in has XP on it, and the first thing I do is to blow it away and put Win 2000 on it.
Luckily enough the boss usually relies on my decision on I.T./network stuff so hoping to keep it a "Vista Free" zone. :) .

Of course once MS stops supporting Windows 2000 (happen eventually) then who knows what.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline FireOf59

• Copper Member
All this about Monitors and HD
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »
After reading all this about monitors and the link for the HD/Non-HD Graphics cards, my head is spinning.... (I can build a Cellular system from ground up but computers confuse me...DOH)

Anyway, getting ready to buy a few things this year for the computer I want to have eventually, and have a few questions...

1. What is a good 19" monitor that will work with Vista, HD, all the stuff mentioned above, and runs under/around $400 or so? Was looking at the VX924 but now not sure. What is a good response time for AH. Is 8 ms good, or is 2-3 ms that much better?

2. For a second item this year, should a better Graphics card wait until they come out with the proper compliance for the future? Trying to decide if the 2nd item this year will be a better Graphics card (now running Radeon 9700 SE now) or memory (now have 512 Meg & thinking of going to 2 Gig).

What will get me the biggest bang for the buck right away and still be useable 3-5 years from now?

All information and help appreciated.

Fireof59

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
LCD MONITOR
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00:55 AM »
I recently purchased a 19" "HANNS-G" LCD monitor... 8ms refresh rate.

I was a little skeptical about the refresh "smearing" at first, because my only other LCD experience was from OLD laptops... smear-city

I can honestly say I am nothing short of impressed.  The crystal clear graphics (after upgrading from a 17" crt) more than makes up for the little amount of smear I get.

Actually, the only time i notice smearing is if I'm zoomed way in the turret of a tank, and scroll side to side quickly.  Even that took less than a week to get used to.  My game skills have improved dramatically (well... as much as possible.. been here about a year and still consider myself a noobie haha)

I also got a nice pair of surround sound USB headphones with mic...  those impressed the heck out of me too.  I can actually hear where things are around me..  Greatly improved my SA!

Just remember... with LCD's.. the lower refresh rate, the better.  I don't think a 16ms would cut it, but the 8ms works fine for me.  I've seen 2ms out there, but they tend to be a lot more expensive.

tigerdirect.com... monitor was $189 after $80 rebate... headset was $64

CRT measurements are total tube diagonal measurement, but some of the tube is buried behind the case because it gets distorted at the edges.  LCD measurements are total viewable because you see the entire surface, therefore a 19" crt monitor may only give you a 17.5 to 18" viewable surface.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:05:03 AM by Tigger29 »

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Need new Monitor
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 01:14:57 AM »
Unfortunately it is true. CRT's are going away, and going away very quickly. When mine dies, it will end my having a computer at home. I have yet to find an LCD which will live up to my expectations. I hate paying for compromised hardware.

Aw gee Skuzzy, that's way over the top. Lighten up:rofl  I would play AH on anything!

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Need new Monitor
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 03:11:04 PM »
You think this is bad Ripley, wait until you see MS Vista.  DRM is taken to new highs.

It is your duty then to get AH onto Linux. It is the duty of all moral, upstanding sofware dev. companies to do their part in combating the DRM menace.

To the topic at hand:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009061

24 inches of fast responce game goodness. For under $1000. Will be my next computer stuff purchase.

I'm quite happy with my 19" Acer 1914 LCD. Admitedly it's not as nice as a quality monitor, but it's better than an average one and is much nicer on the eyes for long term usage.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Need new Monitor
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 03:36:57 PM »
Need a bigger monitor?  Try overstock.com!  Rob53 and I got 22" rebuilt Sony CRTs guaranteed, for 250 dollars and free shipping.

I think the free shipping is no longer in effect....but you can check.

By the way I am very pleased with mine.  Had it 14 months and it is great!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Need new Monitor
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 03:42:07 PM »
There seem to be plenty of CRT's available to buy currently (buy.com, various places listed on pricewatch.com, etc.).  I much prefer CRT's.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Need new Monitor
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 04:25:37 PM »
I am really picky about my CRT.  Sure, there are CRT's about, but most (read 99.9%) are junk to me.  I am spoiled rotten at looking at the pro series of CRT's NEC had and I have no found another CRT I would say I liked since then.
And there is not an LCD on the market which has proper color rendention.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Need new Monitor
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 06:35:59 PM »
I am really picky about my CRT.  Sure, there are CRT's about, but most (read 99.9%) are junk to me.  I am spoiled rotten at looking at the pro series of CRT's NEC had and I have no found another CRT I would say I liked since then.
And there is not an LCD on the market which has proper color rendention.
Yeap, nothing available. I've found few refurbs which I don't care for.

I'm looking into NEC multisync LCDs with Spectraview calibration, but the price is, hmmm, much to think about.

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Need new Monitor
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 10:25:18 AM »
wow,i play on a gateway 15 inch monitor thats 5 years old.

I gotta get with the times.