Author Topic: I Love Texas  (Read 4440 times)

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2006, 02:46:51 AM »
VA is better tha FHA thats for sure on closings cost. Our lets just say will allow you to do more.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2006, 03:09:44 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
The builder is KB.
snip

FWIW, folks I know in the building trades have told me these guys cut a lot of corners.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2006, 08:20:58 AM »
Where in Texas can I go where the weather is bearable?

lazs

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2006, 09:02:39 AM »
Originally posted by culero
FWIW, folks I know in the building trades have told me these guys cut a lot of corners.

culero

From my research they ALL cut courners.  Centex built some bad homes in the area and so did KB.  They all have their bad ones, I havn't heard or seen anything wrong with this area.  Hopfully I never have to use the builders warrenty.  KB and Centex is mostly what you find in the area.  

Laz almost all of Texas gets hot and humid in the summer.  I lived in north texas (sherman area) for a while and it actually snows there in the winter.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2006, 09:05:15 AM »
don't like snow.   What about the "hill country" kerrville area, freidricksburg and like that?

lazs

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2006, 09:15:15 AM »
Lazs, San Antonio, New Braunfuls, San Marcos, and Austin, upto Marble Falls, Fredricksburg and down to Brehnam, probably even Houston if you can stand the humidity, are pretty decent weather wise.  Usually the worst winter weather in this area is ice and sleet but it only lasts a few days and then warms back up.   It did snow in Corpus Christi last year and thats was south of us, even if it snows it only stays around a day or two
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:18:38 AM by Airscrew »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
I Love Texas
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
"That's a good thing 'cause when the housing price boom gets it's inevitable correction, Texas shouldn't get hit too hard."

I have been waiting for that "inevitable correction" here in the northeast for sometime now. I can't touch a house that is ready to be lived in for under 250k, and that doesn't get you much.

138k for all that??? Well, even though the heat down there worries me, looks like it's time for a transfer. Say hello to your new mailman Gun 8-D

Oh, and congrats!
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
I Love Texas
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2

lazs

North Texas isn't too bad. Summer is mostly a dry heat and it doesn't get too terribly cold. Worst you'll get is ice in the winter. :aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
I Love Texas
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »

lazs
Define bearable.  There are 4 different weather areas of Texas.

North Texas can get the most extreme weather patterns, from hot (115F) to cold (low 20'sF), from drought to flooding.  The panhandle of Texas is dead in the middle of tornado alley.

South Texas normally has the most moderate temperature swings, but is very humid year round.  It is also the most likely to be hit by a hurricane and usually catches one a year during hurricane season.

East Texas is also pretty moderate, still high humidity, but less than the coast.  A lot of rainfall in East Texas, mostly moderate though.  East Texas is marked well by pine trees.  You almost think you are in mountain country due to the pines, but it is flat as a pancake.

West Texas is desert.  Very flat with the occasional hill and low grade mountain in the extreme West.  Very hot and dry in the summer.  Very windy when a storm blows through.

Inbetween the quandrants you can find various mixes of the above.  Hill country gets pretty hot in the summer time, and can be cold in the winter.  However, there are a lot of lakes in and around hill country, which are very nice, and prod the person living there to visit them during the summer.

The major metropolitan areas of Texas vary greatly in atmosphere and pace.  While the smaller towns are all pretty much filled with bubbas.

Most people, moving from out of state, have a difficult time adjusting to the distances between everything.  Texas is blessed with a lot of wide open space and it is used.  Anytime you think abou going someplace, almost always expect a 30 minute drive.

It really depends on your own life style.  For almost any given lifestyle, Texas has a place you can live and be happy there.  However, if your lifestyle centers around never changing weather, then Texas is not the place for you.

Texas is a state of diversity.  About the only thing every native Texan has in common is the southern drawl.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
Any desert in Texas?... always wanted to see a real desert with those yarn balls hopping across the road when it blows.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2006, 10:02:35 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Any desert in Texas?... always wanted to see a real desert with those yarn balls hopping across the road when it blows.

yup, El Paso to abalene is all desert IIRC.  Nils next time the wind blows here I'll get you a couple of snap shots of tumble weeds.  We get them all the time.  Once I saw one that was bigger that a good sized pickup truck.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2006, 10:36:38 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
yup, El Paso to abalene is all desert IIRC.  Nils next time the wind blows here I'll get you a couple of snap shots of tumble weeds.  We get them all the time.  Once I saw one that was bigger that a good sized pickup truck.

Yes do that please. I used to have a poster in my room when iwas a kid of that... huge thing taken in the sunset by some famous photographer. Beautiful

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »

lazs

Laz I don`t think you would have too much problem adjusting to things around our area. (East Tx/Tawakoni)  The summer humidity would be higher than what you are used too, but you get used to it. It`s usualy not that bad. Down south iin the coastal area is the worse humidity wise. We , as a rule, don`t have much of a winter. The occassional ice/snow, but it`s pretty rare comparitivly speaking. Lot`s of back roads and places to "unleash the beast". :)

Skuzz said......
East Texas is marked well by pine trees. You almost think you are in mountain country due to the pines, but it is flat as a pancake.

I don`t know exactly who dropped what in Skuzz`s coffee for him to make that statement. We certainly don`t have mountains in East Texas or anything like that, but East Texas is known for the pure beauty of the rolling hills. It`s a pretty awesome countryside as a whole.
A couple of things I`m pretty sure you would like about East Texas is there is no end to the places you can go to pop a few caps without going to a lot of trouble when you get to know who owns what. It takes me about two minutes from shutting the door to being ready to rock. :)
The other thing is that folks seem to mind their own business. It certainly wasn`t that way in the area of Tx that I was raised in. In the small town I was raised around someone could fart at 3:00 A.M. and by sunrise half the people would know about it. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
I Love Texas
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2006, 11:10:38 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen

Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
I Love Texas
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »
Jackal, maybe I should have said, relative to the mountains in Colorado.  I lived in Beaumont for several years.  I am familiar with the area and it is probably one of the most beautiful areas in Texas.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com