Author Topic: 7 Days  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2006, 10:48:27 PM »
You really didn't participate in the discussion until your "glockenspiel" post.

Prior to that you did indeed just list facts. Which, when you look at it objectively, is sort of a troll isn't it? You just tossed that bait out there to see what would develop while you sat on the sidleines?

Then you get into your opinion with the music analogy and cap it off with suddenly realizing you have to actually participate in a discussion to be having a discussion.

Congrats!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2006, 10:50:25 PM »
Oh... and refute the news? I'll pass, thanks.

The short and long term meaning of your "facts"? That would be something else entirely and would be a discussion that requires two or more folks.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
7 Days
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2006, 11:01:28 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
You really didn't participate in the discussion until your "glockenspiel" post.

Prior to that you did indeed just list facts. Which, when you look at it objectively, is sort of a troll isn't it? You just tossed that bait out there to see what would develop while you sat on the sidleines?

Then you get into your opinion with the music analogy and cap it off with suddenly realizing you have to actually participate in a discussion to be having a discussion.

Congrats!

Well, I posted it late Wednesday night. Thursday I worked, and went to the Calgary Flames game straight afterwards. I wasn't back home until real late. Friday was a holiday, and marked the official opening of Lakeside so I was out golfing all day. When I returned home, I responded. That's not a huge passage of time either, my friend. We're talkin' one day - and here I am, just like I was here yesterday.

So your insinuation that I "just tossed that bait out there to see what would develop while you sat on the sidleines" thinking is just wrong.

And once again, it's funny what "bait" means to different people. Something said can be enlightening, interesting, off putting, compelling, distasteful...... but if it's disagreeable to you? Voila! It's suddenly "bait."

AND.... once again we're off somewhere talking about bait, and not discussing the actual subject of this thread. What is it with you?

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
7 Days
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »
"36 dead in Iraq in the last 12 days "

How many bad guys did we kill?  

"went to the Calgary Flames game"

For some reason I thought you lived in Vancouver.

J_A_B
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 11:06:08 PM by J_A_B »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2006, 11:05:54 PM »
OK, Nash....

tell me what your first post means to you.

You've got jack all in there but 11 bullet points with no comment of your own except that your are "irked".

That's the lead in to a meaningful thread? To a meaningful discussion?

Hardly.

So, elucidate. You're irked. You're mad as hell and you're not going to take it anymore? What?

Or were we just supposed to acknowledge that your were irked?

If so, got it, thanks.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2006, 11:06:47 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
"went to the Calgary Flames game"

For some reason I thought you lived in Vancouver.

J_A_B

I did.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2006, 11:07:25 PM »
Now I'm off to sleep. I look forward to reading your discussion of the meaning of the list in the morning.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2006, 11:16:31 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
OK, Nash....

tell me what your first post means to you.

You've got jack all in there but 11 bullet points with no comment of your own except that your are "irked".

That's the lead in to a meaningful thread? To a meaningful discussion?

Hardly.

So, elucidate. You're irked. You're mad as hell and you're not going to take it anymore? What?

Or were we just supposed to acknowledge that your were irked?

If so, got it, thanks.

Oh geeze, Toad.

A mere six years ago any single ONE of those points would be worthy of eighteen hundred threads and several thousand pages of discussion here. You were here back then, right? Nowadays, you can put a dozen of them in one place on any given week and can hear a pin drop.

What happened to everyone?

I could pull together the damning events of the last 7 days in the span of 15 minutes. Want me to do it again next Wednesday? Chances are it will be longer. Certainly it will be consistent.

And surely it would be met with the same "opinions," along with you calling it "bait" and questioning my reaction time.

That might be interesting.... but personally, it's interesting that you would rather talk about that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 11:27:26 PM by Nash »

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
7 Days
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2006, 11:26:59 PM »
"A mere six years ago any single ONE of those points would be worthy of eighteen hundred threads and several thousand pages of discussion here. Now? Ya can put a dozen of them in one place in any given week and ya can hear a pin drop."

This BBS has a distinct lean to the right, which is unsurprising given the nature of the sort of people who are attracted to this type of website.  I read Fark when I want discussion that leans more to the left.

J_A_B

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2006, 12:03:46 AM »
..a distinct lean to the right, which is unsurprising..

J_A_B

Really?... I hadn't noticed.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2006, 12:08:45 AM »
This BBS has a distinct lean to the right...
J_A_B

Yup. For sure. You can gauge it by the desperation.

You can gauge it by the fear talkin'.

You can gauge it by what isn't said.

Sober grownups look at a situation as it is, examining all the available evidence, and then carefully charting the wisest course based on where the evidence leads.

You won't see that from the few true believing Republicans that are left. Like marionettes, they dance to a beat called fear. One small tug on the string is enough to catapult them into a panic driven hell. And everyone knows, a man who is frightened will say just about anything.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
7 Days
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2006, 12:28:39 AM »
You are tilting at windmills Nash.  

Yea, I am pretty sure everyone knows that Iraq isn't a good situation.  Most of us are going on the "You broke it, you buy it" rule.  

The only response you are going to get out of people is a "OMGzzmasdh1!!11!  BOOSH HITLER HITLER BOOSH LOLZ!z111```" or nothing.  

And the above is only coming from the hard core right wing .. and their goal is just to piss you off.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2006, 12:35:02 AM »
Heh - come on.

Yea, I am pretty sure everyone knows that Iraq isn't a good situation.  Most of us are going on the "You broke it, you buy it" rule.

That's noble and everything, but guys like me told you repeatedly that it was a very very bad idea to effing break it in the first place!

But.... I wish Iraq were even half of it.

And yeah, the whole "BOOSH is teh Hitler" contingent can, and always could, bite me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 12:55:53 AM by Nash »

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »
The "Contract With America"... 10 years later.

A corrupt presidency. A corrupt and inept legislature. A restive population and the nation caught in a shooting forever war.

While the democrats shriek and wail and point fingers.. the republicans insist "nothing to see here... move along."

On a national level, this has stopped being a representative democracy and the majority.. who think that both partys are broken, are just now begining to realize that they are completely without representation thanks to the political culture that feeds at the k-Street trough... and the corporate lobbies run a bi-partisan trough.

"So.. we're screwed. No use fighting it; if there's any america left, I'd rather be on the right than the left.. so I'm gonna vote republican."

And, so it goes.. we link arms and descend another coupla rungs on the ladder down to tyranny.

Or we, 'revolt' and form a new party with a new 'Contract With America' and win in a landslide...

and then, I woke up.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
7 Days
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2006, 01:00:51 AM »
Now? Ya can put a dozen of them in one place in any given week and ya can hear a pin drop."
====
same old boring crew can only mix it up on the same old dreary subjects in only so many thousands of threads and tens of thousands of replies before smacking ones skull against the opposition just loses its vitality.  Vote.

Some thoughts: Bush is a disappointment but what president isn't.  Ill be glad when he is out of the picture but as is usual, I dread the next moron that will replace him.

Invading Iraq was one option out of many...for better or worse it happened, I do not dwell on it and hope that at least it leads to a better world at some point down the road (doubt it, as long as religion is around to cloud human judgement).

Iran is like Syria is like North Korea....problems either get worse and ultimately destroy the problem solver or they get fixed...to be replaced by other problems and on...and on.....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns