Author Topic: !!!Holy COW IL2 is AMAZING!!!!!!!!  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
!!!Holy COW IL2 is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2001, 08:13:00 AM »
Deez,
I quietly downloaded it myself and its visually stunning.  For a beta demo its good.

BUT, Westy said it best...

Cobra

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
WOW its the best sim ever, finally a sim where the 109 shines, HTC better start to worry...   :p

Just had a look at it. My first impression was "Visually stunning???" Nope, looks just like Janes WW2 fighters IMO. Terrain is better though. It looks OK, maby good but not visually stunning.

The feeling of speed flying NOE is really cool

FM..eh its a boxed sim, you dont buy those for the FM. WB and AH superior imo.

That mouse view sucks! One hand on stick, other on throttle....Exactly how is this supposed to work? Snap view and padlock are the same as any other sim.

It looks like fun, Id play it probably but im not going to jump on it at $59.95 "there abouts anyways" when it hits staples. I may grab it when it gets cheaper.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sky Viper:

You loyalists are too funny!
This is a community as well as a business.

yawn...that didn't take much work to come up with that label - i'm no loyalist i just see a recurring theme that is sissyish in nature and needs mocking:

it's like 2 or 3 members ran away crying a few months ago and shouting "you'll see! you'll see!....sniff huff...sniff..."

and then when wwiiol came out they suddenly surfaced from the silence and were like "ha ha aces high! you suck! this is waaaaaaaaay better than you will ever be so nya nya nya if you don't like me i'm at the better game anyway nya nya just look at it's awesome graphics - bt boyfriend's back and yer gonna be in trouble nya nya"

now il2 is out and ' oh, surprise' - i look on the aces high gen discussion bbs of all places and the same theme pops up again " il2 is so much better than aces hi nya nya nya see i told you - who needs you anyway losers playing the outdated sim - you can't hurt me! you never liked me wah boo hoo boo hoo"  ;)

it's just funny - why not post a realistic calm lower case opinion in the opinion section and not all this my daddy can beat up your daddy bullsh&% - just calls to mind an image of a spurned teen girl trying to get even by proxy of someone elses work and coding.

or better yet who cares? if you have found nirvana why are you so intent on gaining converts? it's a boxed sim just go play it and revel in the fact that you are in the 733t crowd that knows about it. all the comparisons are just veiled jabs and if you're gonna disguise those jabs as opinions then it's lamo.

Offline DeeZCamp

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
So what is your opinion of it MR fish?

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
deez i will whoop out my pom poms, sing 'oh ricky you're so fine' and form an il2 pyramid and fan club with the other cheerleaders if they:

a: lighten the landscape so i can see those wonderful graphics

b: clean the damned windshield. seriously - it's simpy ridiculous and negates every other positive aspect of the game and renders it unplayable.

i will exthol its virtues in the o'club as a boxed sim and not as the big bully that's gonna 'make it right' for people disaffected by the ah community.

it's a terrific sim in many ways and i am seriously impressed by most of it -  i'm just getting tired of these sims that make you squint to see what's going on. all the bells and whistles mean nothing if your groping in the dark through a dirty windscreen.

"oh ricky you're so fine hey ricky..." -

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
mrfish, Oleg is cleaning the windscreen.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
Thats nice 'cause now it really is far from reality.
Dam my cars glasses looks like that IF I look glass itself but when I look out of car I can't see any stains on the glasses.

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2001, 09:30:00 AM »
<sigh>

I downloaded this huge file and checked out the game.

Not impressed at all.

View controls are very difficult to set up. I use a CH F16 Fighter stick and the settings I have programed are nearly impossible to setup in Il2.
Also, the flight models and graphics remind me a lot of FA2, rather "Gamey" feeling.

That 109 looks like a model my son painted with his water colors. :\
The external view is a pain in the arse, if you turn, the view doesn't follow. Dumb.
Gunnery I got VERY steady behind a Yak at .1 and held the triggers down easing the controls to spread the spray around. Rather few hit for as much lead as I threw around!

Rain: ick!
Distant Aircraft:  Good thing they have Icons, I couldn't tell what they were at 800 yds. (BTW, I can make out most planes from miles away) (USN Vet. Aircrew)

Summary:  Gonna clean that hdd space out now.

Sky Viper
XO No. 54 Squadron

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
IL-2's spin/stall model bugs me a bit..
Planes tends to always spin so that tail drops and nose raises up.
Then it goes into a flat spin.

It also comes quite easily without any warning and once it begins to enter in the spin, its almost impossible to stop from entering further in the spin, but possible to recover then.

Few times I've managed to nearly flip over on the runway when stall occurs and nose suddenly raises up, plane lifts off and when plane is almost completely upwards, it crashes on its tail.

funny.. if it happens at 100-130kph, shouldn't it just smash on its belly or flip over side?
If lift is too low to keep plane in the air, then how does it suddenly raise its nose facing upwards.