Author Topic: Realistic flight model?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 12:59:40 PM »
Simaril 7 " here wrist crease to tip of middle finger. Just for comparison.

With the exception of a couple of the saitek sticks most joysticks are too big for me. And many have MUCH more spring pressure than I'm willing to put up with.

But then I've always been a ms sidewinder fan.
Picked up my latest sidewinder prec pro at secondhand store for 3$.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:33 PM »
*whips out ruler* You want me to measure my what?

Oh, okay. 8 3/4" from wrist to tip of middle finger.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »
Link to joystick pic

This is what I did . I have pretty big hands and that 8 way hat is way to far up to be comphie for me .

Spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 04:07:40 PM »
Originally posted by airspro

that 8 way hat is way to far up to be comphie for me .

Spro

I find the pinkie switch is useless, my hands are normal size and I can't hold the Fighterstick without trippin the pinkie switch, yet the hat switch is a bit high. I use the hat on the stick for "down" views and the hat and the 4-way switch on the throttle for normal views.
I haven't found a use for the mini-stick on the throttle tho :(
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »
Originally posted by Alky
I find the pinkie switch is useless, my hands are normal size and I can't hold the Fighterstick without trippin the pinkie switch, yet the hat switch is a bit high. I use the hat on the stick for "down" views and the hat and the 4-way switch on the throttle for normal views.
I haven't found a use for the mini-stick on the throttle tho :(

Alky, you are aware there is both a "look up" and "look down" modifyer for your normal hat views, right? I actually use the pinky button on my stick as the "look down" modifyer and the pinky button on the throttle as my "look up" modifyer. My reason for "look down" on the stick, pinky button is I don't use it very much. I always roll wings for a look when in a fight and use lift vector/3-9 line for positioning.  

The reason I have "look up" on the throttle is again because I don't want anything interfering with my thumb on the top hat. I've found if you're thumbing views, trying to reach for a button on the same hand can be difficult. By moving it over to the throttle it becomes second nature to use the "look up" modifyer after a couple of hours of flying.

You mentioned above you are using a 4-way hat on the throttle. By doing it you are effectively taking away 4 critical views that you;d be using in a fight. The corners. Using the 8-ay top hat on the stick becomes natural and gives you the corners when assigning a "look up" modifyer to a button. You also go from 10 views to 18 views at the touch of a button. And that is without using the "look down" modifyer button.

Hope this helps.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 11:37:37 PM »
I use my pinky switch to toggle view sets.  I made 2 stick sets, one with flat views and straight up, one with 45deg up all the way around (works similar to the old AW view toggle). I use the stick hat.  7 1/2" here btw, and it really doesnt bother me at all, but I also play musical instruments so my digets are farily limber.

Oh, and I have the mini-stick set to control pan view mode. (rarely use it except for zooming in to look at distant objects)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 11:46:55 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
What's the distance from your wrist crease to the tip of your middle finger? :lol

I dont have ready access to a Fighterstick to try for comfort, and if my hand's the same size as yours I might have a problem.....

8" from crease to tip, about average I guess. This stick is based upon the F-16's stick, and F-16s don't use the hat switch for views, so it's not an issue.

But, for gaming use, the hat switch is way too high. Unless your name is Shaq.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 08:15:02 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen

You mentioned above you are using a 4-way hat on the throttle. By doing it you are effectively taking away 4 critical views that you;d be using in a fight. The corners.

Hope this helps.

I'm using the main 8-way hat switch on the throttle for the left, right, back and forward up views as well as the corner views. There's a second 4-way switch right next to the hat that I use for up,  up back, up left and up right. That leaves me with the stick's hat which I use for the down views and as you say, those views aren't used as much, that's why I put them up on that high stick hat.
Thanx for your help

:aok
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
Rgr Alky. I bet there are as many ways to set up a stick as there are people playing the game. :)

A thought which may or may not help you....

I find I need and use every single button on my stick/throttle and am able to fly completely hotas, except for typing messages, when not using vox. Are you doing the same?

The reason I ask is you are using an additional 3 buttons when only one is required for the additional views.
That would free up 3 buttons for other duties.

Rgds

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 04:23:17 PM »

The reason I ask is you are using an additional 3 buttons when only one is required for the additional views.
That would free up 3 buttons for other duties.

Rgds

I don't know what you mean by using a button to change the view selection. Also I don't know what to assign that mini-stick to that's on the throttle. Currently I'm using the 4-way switch that's right below the stick hat to "move the seat" left right or up & down. That way I can do a rear view and side shift it to see if anyone is hiding right directly on my six :)
Thanx for the help :)
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 04:41:41 PM »
Alky, you know you can save head positions with F10? (That way every time you look back, your head is already to the side and up)
21 is only half the truth.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 09:46:24 PM »
I don't know what you mean by using a button to change the view selection. Also I don't know what to assign that mini-stick to that's on the throttle. Currently I'm using the 4-way switch that's right below the stick hat to "move the seat" left right or up & down. That way I can do a rear view and side shift it to see if anyone is hiding right directly on my six :)
Thanx for the help :)

Ok, my bad! Sorry Alky.

It's easier for you to do than me to explain....try this;
1) use your hat and look around. you should be able to see all the corners level.
2) while continue'n to look around push and hold your "keypad 5" key. Now all eight views just went up 30 degrees because keypad 5 "modifies" your normal view.
3) release the hat and the view immediately goes to look straight up.

Ok so what happened....

1) you begin with 8 views. the level ones.
2) you press 1 button and now you've just added 8 more views. that's 16 at the press of a button.
3) releasing the hat adds one more view (the straight up view). now you have 17 views.
4) you get one more view because your "push hat forward" view should be exactly the same as not touching the hat. in other words, it's the straight ahead view. you adjust that view so you are either looking over the top of the cowl or around it for high deflection views. that's 18 views!

Ok, there's the views at the touch of a button.

Now it sounds like you have never "adjusted" your views.
AH2 allows you the luxury of being able to move your head around the cockpit to enhance your views. for example, you can set your head position so you "look around" the headrest and can see the tail and planes trying so sneak up on you. To do that you have to create an individual program for each view. We used to call them macros and it's very simple to do. Here's how (and for lack of better wording I'm going to call it "entering the macro mode);

First, you can do the easiest one...we will set the look over the cowl view when you push your hat button forward.

1) hit "F1" to enter the macro mode (begin the programming). Note: you will not see any verbage telling you that you have entered the macro mode.

2) press and hold your view hat in the forward position. Note: DO NOT let go of hat until you complete the macro program.

3) tap your "page up key" on keyboard until your head moves all the way up/

4) hit "F10" to save it. You will get a "head position saved" message.

5) release the hat then check and see if its working.

That's it! You just made your first macro.

The only additional keys you may want to use are your arrow keys. For instance, it you wanted to look back around your seats headrest here's how you'd do it;

1) hit "F1" to enter macro mode
2) hold hat in look back position. remember, don't let go.
3) Tap your "left arrow" key until your head moves all the way to the right as you look back (its opposite when you are looking back but not up and down).
4) tap your "page up" key until your head moves all way up.
5) hit "F10" to save.
6) Check it! Now when you look back you're looking around the right of the seat headrest.

One other thing with setting views. If you fly the Pony (P-51) you may want to adjust the look right and look left views by using the up/down arrow keys to move your head out just enough so you see "outside" the cockpit instead of inside it.

You will find that you want to adjust every possible view you have because there are many things in the cockpit that can impede your views. The P-38 is classic with all its canopy framing. You need to do lotsa tapping. :)

ALternatively we can always meet in the TA and I'll talk you thru a few and then you will have it all under control.
Hope this helps.

Argh! I forgot to mention you need to assign your keypad 5 key to a button. Then you press it as you look around for the additional views. As I had previously mentioned I use the pinky button on the front of my throttle. That way I won't interfere with with using my thumb on the top hat.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:53:55 PM by DamnedRen »

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 10:19:54 PM »

Now it sounds like you have never "adjusted" your views.

Oh yes, Shatzi.. Ren... it's one of the first things I discovered :)
Y'all misunderstood when I said "move the seat" because that's what it's called in the game. Consider this, you're in a F4U-D or a P-51D, you can't see someone on your dead six even with the view stretched back as far as it goes. So, you assign the "move seat" option to the controller. Now when you do a normal back view, and hold it while you do a "move seat" to the right or left with the other button, you can see around that headrest or tailfin behind you. Some planes have a more restrictive view than others. The LA-7 has an excellent rear view when you "adjust it" all the way back and down, the F4U blocks a lot of the view.
Thanx guys, I'll check out the view modifier thingy :)
But what to do with that silly mini-stick
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 12:04:16 AM »
Oh yes, Shatzi.. Ren... it's one of the first things I discovered :)
Y'all misunderstood when I said "move the seat" because that's what it's called in the game. Consider this, you're in a F4U-D or a P-51D, you can't see someone on your dead six even with the view stretched back as far as it goes. So, you assign the "move seat" option to the controller. Now when you do a normal back view, and hold it while you do a "move seat" to the right or left with the other button, you can see around that headrest or tailfin behind you. Some planes have a more restrictive view than others. The LA-7 has an excellent rear view when you "adjust it" all the way back and down, the F4U blocks a lot of the view.
Thanx guys, I'll check out the view modifier thingy :)
But what to do with that silly mini-stick

Hehe. I wouldn't worry so much about what to do with the mini stick. You'll think of something :)

I sure would like to get a look at your stick setup as I have no real blind spots cept under my belly and if I want to look down I just roll right/left and look right/left.  Jusy hoping to be able to help you.

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
Realistic flight model?
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 08:38:38 AM »

I sure would like to get a look at your stick setup as I have no real blind spots cept under my belly and if I want to look down I just roll right/left and look right/left.  

I'm using AH's stick map and not the CH Manager, I haven't the energy to learn that :(
In the AH stick map under "views" is options to move left, move right etc., with those assigned to a 4-way switch I can look "back" with my hat switch then move right or left to get a better look around my tailfin with the "move" function in case someone is sneaking up behind me while I'm on my way to the next fight.
Thanx again :)
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher