Author Topic: Best fighter for immediate combat?  (Read 4556 times)

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Best fighter for immediate combat?
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:59:43 PM »
lately it seems I find myself upping at a field with lots of nme about, vulching and generally making life hell for people taking off from the field.

What's the best plane to counter this tactic, something that's got some go off the runway, a good climb rate and good firepower?  Don't say spit.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 05:40:22 PM »
Best thing would be NOT to up from a vulched field.
But if you really have to, and dont want to use a Spit: grab a La7!
The Lala is simply best at high-speed, low level, close quarter fights. Its very fast and has superior acceleration. Use this to gain speed and some distance immediatly after takeoff, then use the high climb rate to gain a few thousand feet altitude before coming back onto your field to vulch the vulchers. Itīs also not that bad at turning, and has a good roll rate. The 3 20mms are adequate, the ballistics are not that good, but at close quarters they shred the enemy like any other 20mm :)

Other possible planes: Ki-84 (good climb, very maneuverable), Nikki (shoot everyone in the face :D )
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:25:38 PM »
Ki-84 is good in that role. Also the Hurri 2C.

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »
F6F-5

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:25:18 PM »
Base Defense of a vulched field? DONT UP....But since we all try it at sometime or another....I suggest

Hurricane mkIIC
A6M-5b
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:05:40 PM »
I'm in the La7 camp with this one.

It gets up, gets fast, and gets into the fight quickly.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:55:54 AM »
HurricaneMk2C
La7
N1k
Spit9
Ki84 (a plane that takes some getting used to)
a6m (not very durable)

All those can pretty much fight off the runway. Dont forget to reduce your fuel load to 50, maybe even 25 %. Youre not going to be in the air for long anyway. And you probably run out of ammo first.

For taking off on capped base: Sadly i have way too much experience doing that ;). Dont use the runways! Roll through the greenery, if you see someone starting to make a pass at you, turn your nose towards him (if possible). Maybe even pop flaps get wheels in the air early and sideslip (full rudder deflection one way, keep level with aileron - watch for stall at low speed).

Sometimes its better to come from a close neigbouring field with alt to bust the cap and give other friendlies and opening to take off.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 01:14:43 AM »
IL-2. I'm serious.

Slow enough to have attacking planes pass you up or slow to the point of stalling. You can actually turn fight it quite well and the cannons on it will take out wings, engines, elevators with ease.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 01:33:29 AM »
Hurri2c, roll out of the hangar (NOT the runway), drive like a wildman and HO everyone you see, whether or not your wheels have left the ground yet.

Don't take a La7 or similarly low-ENY bird.  They give the most perks, and are thus the most favored targets.  Don't ask me how I know that :o
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 01:48:46 AM »
Originally posted by Vudak
 Don't ask me how I know that :o

How come you know that????? :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:51:38 AM »
First off I HATE being vulched, and yes every now & then I enjoy a good vulch at the other guys expense. :)

Of all the planes takeing off the ones I worry the most about are the hurri & the nik. Both have to be treated with respect and killed as fast as possible.

La's are slow when they go wheels up and its a perfect time to catch them.

Spits, just lack the firepower to be truly dangerous.

iL2 is good, but its so DARN slow. Course when your doing turns around the radar tower that really doesn't matter.

Personally if I must up a bomber I'll jump into a A20, dump the ord on runway & go HO anything that I can.

Last scotty if you consistantly find yourself upping from capped fields you need to ask yourself why?

One of the hardest things to learn in AH is how to find the fight that favors your style of flying. While defense is one of these, getting vulched is not a great plan.  Much better to take off from 1 field back, and go vulch the vulchers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:55:20 AM by Ghosth »

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:26:44 AM »
YAK!: for me.
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
If I'm going to up at a capped base, I'll use the 7. Here's a little personal tip though, that I've never shared before.

Use Auto take off, throttle to full and add WEP. As soon as your tail wheel leaves the ground press X to disengage auto take off, then press X again to engage Auto Pilot. The 7 is slow in the air at the start and this will give the appearence you are for all intents and purposes still taking off. Bring your wheels up and continually check your high views.

As soon as you see a vulcher move into solution and is close enough to use that solution, bank in his direction and climb away (if he's directly on your 6 or 12 bank in whichever direction you feel most comfortable with). More often that not I have found this sudden-seeming climbing and turning ability causes an auger from the predator who is so intent on vulching you, he forgets just exactly where he is in the sky and what his nose is pointed at.

Once you're relatively clear, get out of there and grab some E before you come screaming back in to clear the skies.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 10:57:36 AM »
Tinman, that sounds like one sweet trick. I gotta try this :).

Once you're relatively clear, get out of there and grab some E before you come screaming back in to clear the skies.

Very important thing to do. Those extra 30 secs getting some alt/E might make the difference between 0 and 5 dead vulchers.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 01:22:46 PM »
Originally posted by RTSigma
IL-2. I'm serious.

Slow enough to have attacking planes pass you up or slow to the point of stalling. You can actually turn fight it quite well and the cannons on it will take out wings, engines, elevators with ease.

the only antivulch ride in my book
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]