Author Topic: Best fighter for immediate combat?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Best fighter for immediate combat?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
Ren you make it sound like anyone that plays this game a little differently than you isn't really having fun.

Nope, but thanks for the input. Please note the responses from Bozon, RTSigma, Schatzi, etc. Some want to up a capped field, others don't. In help and training we merely provide alternatives for all players. Isn't that what you're trying to do? :)

Good thing your telling all of us how we feel.  You ever hear of a concept called projection?  Your projecting your feelings about being vulched onto the rest of us and can't believe anyone would have a different expieriance.  I can gaurantee you if I die ten time I could care less, i'm in it for the challenge.  I don't findx flying to a base and vulching much of a challenge anymore, but that is just me. :aok

I'm happy that you enjoy dying for someone elses benefit. Keep up the good work! May you be granted your wish many times so you can bring enjoyment to all who play the game. In fact, you should post on the general boards that you wish to be a target for all. I'm sure many will jump at the suggestion. :D

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 11:06:55 AM »
I'm happy that you enjoy dying for someone elses benefit. Keep up the good work! May you be granted your wish many times so you can bring enjoyment to all who play the game. In fact, you should post on the general boards that you wish to be a target for all. I'm sure many will jump at the suggestion.
I have before in conversations in the General forum.  This is not the first time I have said it.  

BTW I am not doing it for their benefit as much as it is a side affect of me doing things that are fun, agressive and a challenge even tho I am not guaranteed that  I live.  

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:12:09 AM by mars01 »

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
I have before in conversations in the General forum.  This is not the first time I have said it.  

BTW I am not doing it for their benefit as much as it is a side affect of me doing things that are fun, agressive and a challenge even tho I am not guaranteed that  I live.  

Well, I happen to think it's commendable that your way of gameplay allows so many the opportunity to have lots fun by vulching you and therefor are able to enjoy their own play. WTG! And you say you don't do it for their benefit. Hah!

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »
Kill Em All i SAY!!!!!!!!!!!:aok
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline zelo13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »
I'm in the "who gives a %$#@ if the field is cap'd" crowd. The only reason I can see for NOT upping is that you might get killed and your k-to-d ratio and score might suffer. Who cares about that?

Somebody up the list said it was about the "challenge" and getting up and dealing some deth over a cap'd field is most certainly a challenge. Plus it just pisses me off to see a bunch of nme planes all over one of our fields while a bunch of a people sit and watch out the tower windows.

My favorite ride for those short, defensive hops is an N1K. Good slow-speeding handling to avoid the vulchers and quad-20mm sweetness for the quick kills.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 05:00:36 PM »
one would "THINK"!!! this being the Help & Training Forum, one would not say or teach it is good or ok to up from capped fields, this being the Help & training forum, where people come to get help and or training and or advice, we should not teach or agree or say it is ok or good to up from capped fields.....

with that being said, rule of thumb has always been vulch me once shame on you, vluch me twice shame on me, for being to dumb and stupid, to open the freaking map or look out the tower window to see that the field is capped......for not waiting til the enemy icon over the field has extended far enough out of range to allow one ample time to get up and airborne to be able to avoid any returning slashing or vulch attacks......

We all are free to express our opinions, but if you want to have the
"who gives a %$#@ if the field is cap'd"  atitude

then keep it in the other forums, and don't bleed your bad tactics to all in the Help & training forum,  that is not the help or opinions people need to read here....

as for me , I do not care what any of you or anyone else does or plays like, but from a Teach/Training/Help aspect of this, I say it is nothing but ill advice to teach new comers or even people who have been here for a lil while and are just finding the boards.......I hope each of you can visualize where I am coming from regarding this.......

When we train / teach we try to do it in a way of teaching survival, not tomb raider 1st person shooter type style where death means nothing....... that mindset is why the game is the way it is now, and it also is the reason alot of older longtime players are quiting, they hate the "quake" mentality of what use to be "Extreme Fun" learning the art of flying in a Dog Fight...........in a world War 2 prop plane, regardless if it is a cartoon plane game or not, the new breed is killing the forefather's idea of how this game should be played......99% of them do not even know who the forefather actually is, btw......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 06:00:09 PM »
cant aruge with that..

I noe how those vulch dweebs r(not the time to time vulcher, the guy that cant fight and only bads kills by vulchin)  they c guys on the runway and get an erection.  Vulchin is needed to cap fields but those 2 or 3 guys that keep appearin on the field should noe that there just padin someone elses score.  The should noe to up from somewhere else or to not even bother.  In that situation i go for the m16 but if i can get that i up form somewhere else.  There times where on the way over i catch that c47 and give my base more time to be defended.  Its true that anything after the first vulch is really ur fault.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 06:26:36 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
When we train / teach we try to do it in a way of teaching survival, not tomb raider 1st person shooter type style where death means nothing....... that mindset is why the game is the way it is now, and it also is the reason alot of older longtime players are quiting, they hate the "quake" mentality of what use to be "Extreme Fun" learning the art of flying in a Dog Fight...........in a world War 2 prop plane, regardless if it is a cartoon plane game or not, the new breed is killing the forefather's idea of how this game should be played......99% of them do not even know who the forefather actually is, btw......

Hmmm.

Sorry, but I disagree.  In my view, the lamest players of the game have always been those who are too afraid to die, and hence never learn anything.  If you "teach survival," then you're teaching caution, run when you're outnumbered, never attack from a position of disadvantage, fly an uber plane if possible, travel in a pack.  That's fine if you enjoy it, it's probably the most historically accurate manner of playing the game, but many of us find it to be intolerably boring.  Worse, it doesn't encourage experimentation, which I think is at the heart of learning most new skills.

So I'm all in favor of trying to up from a capped field.  Occasionally you can kill some of those vulching weenies, and that's very satisfying.  For old players as well as for new players.

- oldman

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 06:44:09 PM »
Well TC, I'm not gonna agree or disagree with ya, but as for why this post is in here, it's because the original poster wanted to know how to best survive upping from a capped field, and asked for help.

Why this thread has turned into an argument/debate, I dunno.  Seems like a pretty simple Q & A to me, with a possible disclaimer thrown in there that it'll be frustrating.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 07:32:16 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
Well TC, I'm not gonna agree or disagree with ya, but as for why this post is in here, it's because the original poster wanted to know how to best survive upping from a capped field, and asked for help.

Why this thread has turned into an argument/debate, I dunno.  Seems like a pretty simple Q & A to me, with a possible disclaimer thrown in there that it'll be frustrating.

Yes Sir Vudak, the Thread poster asked a valid question, and yes it somehow  appears it has sort of went to an argument /debate, that truly is sad.......I was not trying to carry it away from the original posters question either.....

I should give my response on the original posters question .........if you feel the need to up from a capped field  I say go with the Niki ( for its cannons ) or the IL2, strange plane but from my experience it offers a valid threat to vulchers......
3rd choice would be an Fm2 or a F6f then even the Hurri2c.....

If one was smart, they would grab a plane and up from the closest nearest field that opposed no taking off threat, grab some E, and come in and clean out the vulchers........the vulchers /cappers will be to focused on the next unknowing noob to up on the runway they prob never check the radar or visual scan like one should when capping, they want to be the 1st to see, so they can be 1st to the vulch.......

now back to the previous post I made,  oldman, I never teach timid flying, horde flying, but cautious flying yes,  fight your fight not your opponets.....

there is more to cautious flying than how you so elegantly put it oldman, but I am not posting to argue with anyone...........

1st thing anyone should think about when getting ready to fly is that thing called SA, if the field is capped look out the tower, wait til the idjiot vulching is extendeding away or leaving before you up, he will prob be checking his six, when he sees you he will prob rev back to you for another greedy vulch, just give yourself ample time to get wheels up and a tidbit of speed so you can maneuver him into an overshoot on his 1st pass at least.......nothing a bout being afraid to die, nothing about being lame, nothing about not being able to ever learn anything or attack from a disadvantage.........alot of people ask how to defend/fight when at a disadvantage........and we do teach that........

still feel the same about my 1st post to this thread though........

~S~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline zelo13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2006, 10:26:27 PM »
TC..with all due respect, I offered an opinion AND answered the original question.

I think your diatribe is a little off. I've upped from a cap'd field and downed 3 or 4 wannabe vulch-masters before someone finally put me down. I'll take those odds any day.

Call it "bad tactics" if you will...also an opinion. I don't recall claiming to be the master tactician. But I'm not a tomb raider player either (I've been on the AW-AH roster since '94) and I don't think upping from a cap'd field is the sine qua non of lameness or idiocy.

Offline viper215

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2006, 10:52:53 PM »
Originally posted by RTSigma
IL-2. I'm serious.

Slow enough to have attacking planes pass you up or slow to the point of stalling. You can actually turn fight it quite well and the cannons on it will take out wings, engines, elevators with ease.

yea il2 or la7
- Viper215 - Birds of Prey - Falcon Wing -
               - www.bops.us -

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2006, 11:29:44 PM »
To put a perspective on TC's comments...

There is a construction phrase to describe a co-worker who will quietly allow someone to make mistakes or do things the hard way.  "That guy would watch you pound a nail in head first and not say a word."  Continuing on that line...TC answered with his thoughts on "how to drive a nail head first", but also suggested turning it around and driving it point first.  

To those of you who enjoy going head first, good for you (like to do it myself sometimes).  Please keep in mind that a deterent to new players staying with AH is its steep learning curve.  Giving advise on how to do things the hard way without also mentioning there is a easier way does not encourage newer players to stick through the frustration to build a skill set.

By the way, I like to take the yak, but that's me.  Some of the previously mentioned planes are better suited.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 11:52:07 PM »
Well at any rate, I think the original poster got many good responses on how to do what he asked, why he shouldn't be frustrated when he does it, and alternative suggestions to keep him from hurtling his joystick at the screen when frustration does indeed kick in.

I'd say it's time for a group hug :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline SVIGGEN

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2006, 01:32:06 AM »
I agree with TequillaChaser. If u read the posts ate SIMHQ Forum, you will see why most people switch to Il2 Series Eventually-the quake mentality makes oldtimers sick and tired of the sim sooner or later, adn they quit.