Author Topic: Question about the south  (Read 4278 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Question about the south
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2006, 11:16:33 PM »
No, i'm a mile higher then some of yous so water boils at a lower temperature, thus it only took 4 minutes.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2006, 11:19:01 PM »
Holden's quoting "My Cousin Vinny".  If you haven't seen it, you should.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2006, 11:19:56 PM »
"It's a matter of well known fact that it takes 20 minutes to cook a grit."

---Vincent Laguardia Gambini.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
Vinny Gambini: It is possible that the two yutes...
Judge Chamberlain Haller: ...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?
Vinny Gambini: Uh... what word?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Two what?
Vinny Gambini: What?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Uh... did you say 'yutes'?
Vinny Gambini: Yeah, two yutes.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: What is a yute?
[beat]
Vinny Gambini: Oh, excuse me, your honor...
[exaggerated]
Vinny Gambini: Two YOUTHS.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2006, 06:46:10 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
So why did SC send comissioners to Washington to negotiate for the delivery of federal property when there was no federal property?

Make up you mind.

To get the troops of a foreign power out of SC's forts, obviously.

And it's very clear that SC wanted to avoid a shooting war if possible.

generally to negotiate as to all other measures and arrangements proper to be made and adopted in the existing relation of the parties, and for the continuance of peace and amity between this commonwealth and the Government at Washington."

If Lincoln had removed the troops instead of reinforcing the forts....no Civil War.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Question about the south
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2006, 08:08:45 AM »
Truth is that before the civil war it was universaly believed that the states did indeed have a right to secession.

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1543

http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo42.html

The civil war changed everything and imposed a strong central government on a loose allience of free states.   This was for the worst in my opinion.   States rights were forever marginalized and the concept of the constitution was pretty much nullified.

Most of the good of the revolution against england was undone by the loss civil war by the southern states.

There is no way that the civil war was not about states rights.    The feds were not fired on because of slavery.

lazs

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2006, 10:39:18 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
The civil war changed everything and imposed a strong central government on a loose allience of free states.

That's what the Constitution did when it replaced the Articles of Confederation.

The Articles talk of sovereign and free states.
Article II. Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.

That's not in the Constitution. The states sovereignty and freedoms are restricted by Section 10.

Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

looks like they might have commited insurrection... why?  Slavery.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Question about the south
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2006, 10:54:12 PM »
Bravo, Holden.

Been a pleasure reading this thread.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2006, 11:08:42 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Bravo, Holden.

Been a pleasure reading this thread.

Which did you like better?  The "I am trying to find a Confederate flag?" part or the discussion on grits?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2006, 11:10:32 PM »
Damn... this thread was almost dead.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Question about the south
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2006, 11:29:53 PM »
Aside from the interruptions after I said we were going to discuss grits, I liked it all, even though I didn't read pages 2 and 3.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Question about the south
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2006, 12:40:36 AM »
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation

Secession: formal withdrawal from an association by a group discontented with the actions or decisions of that association.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Question about the south
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2006, 02:27:51 AM »
Hey Reschke, look up a book called "The Tories of Winston County". The only place I know you can find it is at Wallace Community College in Cullman. One of the main figures in the book is Henry Tucker, greatx4 uncle or so of mine. It's a pretty decent read and an interesting piece of history that most people don't know. My great grandmother told me the family version of the brutal murder at the end of the book that took place 6-7 years after the war. It's about a group of people that didn't want other people telling them what they should be doing. Self determination, states rights, etc etc....  You'll enjoy it.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Question about the south
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2006, 02:44:23 AM »
Does water soak into a grit faster on your stove than anybody elses stove? Are the laws of physics different on your stove that on any body else's stove? Are you sure it only took five minutes?

Shaddup Vinny :p

OK, I didn't keep reading before I posted. Everyone but that gay guy from northern Kali beat me to it.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Question about the south
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2006, 02:55:40 AM »
3 cups o' grits
6 cups o' water
3 cloves o' garlic
1/2 lb of cheddar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

cook the first three 'till the grits are done.
stir in the cheese til melted.
poor grits into 2" deep cake pan.
refridgerate 'till firm.
form 4" rounds, about 2" thick.
heat oil till it's 'busy'
fry rounds until brown, flip and brown the other side.
ONLY FLIP ONCE!
drain, cool, enjoy with anything or by themselves.

works with small shrimp, ham, bacon or white meat in the mix too.