Author Topic: Question about the south  (Read 4057 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Question about the south
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:16:21 PM »
I'm taing a trip to Orange Beach, Alabama this week, driving from Houston to there, is there any place I could find a confederate flag?  My friends are all about southern pride.  Anyway, a squaddie said they sell them at mom n pop establishments and novelty shoppes.  Do supermarkets sell them?  Does anyone know somewhere close to there that has them?  Thanks.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Question about the south
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »
Anywhere from VA down, you can find a rebel flag in just about any convienience (sp?) store to smaller gas stations.  National chains won't have them, but smaller, more localized stores will be filled to the brim.

Never been to Alabama myself, but I don't think you'll have any trouble at all finding a rebel flag.  Besides, you'll be in the South.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Question about the south
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »
Piggly Wiggly?

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Question about the south
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:54:59 PM »
Never seen one there.  Try a little smaller outfit. Your best bet is probably a little novelty shop on the side of the road.

Offline SmokinSS

• Copper Member
Question about the south
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 10:00:25 PM »
Nirvana you won't have any trouble finding a flag.

Have fun in Orange Beach. It is a great place. Outstanding fishing if you take a notion to go. Have fun.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Question about the south
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »
Nirvana, I live about 4 hours away and may be able to sneak out and get one to you if you are not having any luck. There is a guy who sells all sorts of flags, caps and other assorted crap near my office 1-2 times a week. If you end up with a dry run then I can get you one. Don't go to Piggly Wiggly looking for a "confederate flag" though. Try little convenience stores and don't bother looking in and around the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area. If you don't find one between Houston and the Alabama state line make sure you look for one before Mobile or once you hit the parkway coming down through Daphne, Foley and Loxley. I am pretty sure you can locate one through there.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question about the south
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 11:27:57 PM »
nirvana..you like the coloreds eatn outside too?

South is a diff world...We spent aweek in Pelehachie Mississippi....WOW

My friends granparents were funny as hell..even tho they said.."oh that s where the colords would eat..

Then one Sunday before bass fishn..we got shut down trying to buy beer on sunday..BOOO!!!

Is there more to a Confederate flag then keeping your slaves?

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Question about the south
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:28:32 PM »
I wouldn't want you driving 4 hours just for 2 flags Reschke, thanks though.  It's not like they are a necesity, my friends just want them.  I imagine we'll make a few stops at convenience stores for gas/driver changes.  We stayed at Gulf Shores Plantation 3 years ago, wasn't a huge tourist place, but we went around Easter time.  Never been to Orange Beach though so it should be interesting, I guess we are a ways from the beach.

Anyway, my family aren't quite seadogs so if we go fishing it will be my aunt, my dad, my sister, and myself.  I have a week to find them so I imagine I can find them at some point.  In addition to being alcoholic racists, my family also loves to souvenir shop.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Question about the south
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 11:28:36 PM »
Your best bet is probably a little novelty shop on the side of the road.

That's the sort of place you'll find one. Just curious, what version of the Confederate flag are you looking for?

The typical battle flag that everyone usually refers to as "the rebel flag"?

Or one of the Confederate national flags?

The reason I ask is, the one you probably want is the stereo-typical "rebel flag" those are very easy to find, but if you are looking for one of the national flags, they are much more difficult to find.

This is the first official Confederate States of America national flag:

this is the second:

and this is the third:

This one is probably the one you want, it's the naval jack which is a larger version of the "battle flag":

There is also the "Bonnie Blue Flag", but I doubt you are interested in that one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 11:31:13 PM by Brenjen »

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Question about the south
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 11:36:52 PM »
Yeah just the standard rebel flag.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 06:28:01 AM »
When you buy one make sure it is made by a quality flag maker. There are some real doozies out there. :)
For starters, make sure the points of the stars are pointing upwards. :)
Also, you should be able to find the flag in Houston without much of a prob.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Question about the south
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:48:15 AM »
the flag you seek sir is the "battle flag of the army of northern Virgina"

all them yanks call it the confederate/rebel flag.

history: back in the day battle field communications were difficult, fog of battle( black powder smoke, similar uniforms, no radios) units were identified by flags, the confederate national flag could be mistaken for the federal flag so to ID rebel units in battle they come up with that red flag with the blue x.  The rebel battle flag of the west was a blue flag with a white disc in the center.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 07:50:50 AM by john9001 »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Question about the south
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 09:23:21 AM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW
nirvana..you like the coloreds eatn outside too?

My friends granparents were funny as hell..even tho they said.."oh that s where the colords would eat..

Then one Sunday before bass fishn..we got shut down trying to buy beer on sunday..BOOO!!!

Your generalzation would be like a guy in the South assuming everyone in  Northern California is gay because his friends grandfather was.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Question about the south
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 09:35:12 AM »

Yep but having lived in several different areas of the United States I would not trade my life here in Alabama for anything else.

Boy that's just closed minded in every sense of the word. Don't you realize that the vast majority of people who fought for the south in the civil war never owned a slave. In fact many of the soldiers who fought in the civil war were share croppers and before the war they worked in the fields beside other men and women who just happened to have a different skin color but for all intensive purposes those people (slaves) were in a better situation than the share croppers. At least those slaves were not threatened daily with having their homes taken from them because they could not keep up with the farming.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 11:21:22 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Question about the south
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 09:54:12 AM »
I've been to the south before, not bad, some cultural differences but for the most part we were 1) On a fishing boat or 2) In our motel/on the beach.  I didn't really mind, ice houses in Texas were cool:aok
Would they sell them at that port in Galveston or where ever it is?

The battle flag of the army of Northern Virginia it is!