Author Topic: Game Comparison  (Read 1172 times)

Offline tracer

• Zinc Member
Game Comparison
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:19:58 PM »
Hi AH players,

I currently am happily playing Warbirds, and have been lurking your boards now for a few weeks, especially your very excellent training boards.   I was wondering how AH and WB compare.   I'm not sure I can handle playing both, time-wise.   I'm really tempted to give AH a try.   For those experienced with both, I'd like to know how the 2 games compare and what features have you here by choice.
Thanks!

;)

tracer

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:24:40 PM »
Dale made both and he says AH is better .

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:29:13 PM »
Try  the two weeks free trial period and you will see for yourself AH is the best choice.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:39:11 PM »
Before I started playing AH I did trials in AH, WB and FA... found AH to have the best flight model by far, built in voice made it much easier to be a new pilot then in the other games and finally the view model of AH is vastly supperior to any of the games...

Tex

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:53:19 PM »
AH kicks the crud outta WB, and HT said it himself:

'I made both, AH is better'

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 03:55:49 PM »
Hello

Just open your 2 weeks trial and go figure. You seem to be US player, so you may have action in WB, euro timezone it  is  maybe too low actionwise:) .

Before you go online, map your keyboard/stick same as you have in WB, helps a lot to get in game. Keymapper is easiest of every game i have tryed, even i was able to do that:eek: Mapping views is must!! Do not forget!! It makes  world CLEAR. Do not forget ingame radio,  voice is not perfect, but it works.(not same lvl as TS i mean)

AH has more players online, "about" same planeset as WB main, inflight dar, otto beeing off, but.... about same chances to kill buff as in WB:lol

Planes are  flying more  like "rails" in AH, WB having that "rubber"thingy feeling. Turn off all autothingy and extra help when you start AH, you just  learn bad habits using those:D . And before  go online, read helpfile!! You will get alt+ f4 "help"  60% sure if you ask  help online.  And, if you want you can play both,  cheap today, but you may get killed 1-2 times when getting used to other game  first 1-2 sorties.

puujiikoo

PS poster asked comparision/opinion, i know HT has made both, but saying AH is better just  give you  one more post and nothing else....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:09:53 PM by -pjk-- »
Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
Game Comparison
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:03:53 PM »
Aces High is better, much better .
 You will find more of everything in AcesHigh .

Be sure to install a custom sound pack .... Mitsu sound pack is very cool ....
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:52:34 PM »
Originally posted by -pjk--
...Turn off all autothingy.....

Just had to laugh when I read this line!!!!  :D

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 08:24:53 PM »
Have played both must must admit I ain't been near WB in 3 yrs.  I check WB players from time to time and there just isn't a comparison to the amount of guys here in AH.  500 + on a week end 350+ week days.

Yer Dale made both but since I changed to AH from WB fighter Ops and WB2 there hasn't been a single reason for me to go back.  Loadsa guys in here.  Lots of action from fighter, jabo, bomber, tank or Carrier gunnery command.  Lots to do and it's cheaper.

The dot commands are an easy convert as are the KEY commands.  Only the odd difference.  You'll find them under "help"  or in down loads "HELP"

2 weeks free.....check it out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 08:28:47 PM by LYNX »

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 10:24:27 PM »
people still play warbirds?
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Ratnick

• Zinc Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 10:30:10 PM »
Bronk - what flavor is that milkshake?

Offline eh

• Copper Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »
tracer
(eh in AH = snofox in WB)

I believe that AH is now superior to WB, especially since the WW2 Arena in WB is dead. If you like that kinda gameplay, try our Allies vs. Axis theatre... it is more active than WBs version, and the graphics are much better. The Combat Theatre should be opening soon (two years LOL?) and that will be even more scenario like. On Fridays, there is the equivalent to the S3 series... you will love it; we have scenarios in AH and Snapshots as well. Enjoy them all. BTW, the Main Arena (arcade style) is far superior to WBs attempt. In AH, there are no phony baloney air starts, and all players are real, not drones.

As for the plane set: All early war Axis planes are much better modelled than in WBs. You will see a huge difference in the agility of the Zero and the 109 E and F. They are actually worthwhile flying in this game. The Wildcats are not uber in here. Watch out for the following though: The Ki 61 in AH is not nearly as maneuverable as it is in WB, so resist the temptation to get into a sustained turnfight. The P40 in AH is much more accurately modelled in AH, and lives up to its "lead sled" reputation during the war. It's good, but not excellent in a dogfight, as it is in WB.

I used to play both, but cancelled my WB account in December of last year after waiting for six months for iEN to come to their senses about the WW2 Arena, and the flight modelling of early war fighters. They haven't and they won't. I miss my old squaddies (Menacing Ferrets) a whole lot, but the game is not worth the candle anymore.

Enjoy tracer! You have come to a kick bellybutton game. After making the adjustment, you will agree I am sure.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Game Comparison
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 02:27:55 AM »
Used to be an avid WBer, left about the time WBIII came along. Tried AH back in AH1 days but wasn't impressed, so I was out of online flying from 2001 until 2005. Finally went ahead and gave AH a long term try- have been here for about a year and haven't looked back.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline tracer

• Zinc Member
Game Comparison
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 06:58:38 AM »
Thanks for all of the good responses, sounds like lots more players than in WB's on an average day, and the different flight modeling would be interesting to try.   I was wondering PJK about stick setup on the X52 if it could be similar to what I'm used to in WB's, cuz once things get "busy" I kind of use the controls without thinking much about what keys are programmed to which function.  Sounds like there's decent carryover between games, though I'm not sure about the "autothingy":rolleyes:

Well eh (snofox), the ferrets are very much alive and well, especially in the WWII arena 2 nights a week and in the big Sunday S3's.  I usually fly against them (I like being the underdog), the short icons are fun.  Thanks for the planeset comparisons.
I also fly WB's in a squad I'm pretty attached to, can't picture at this time giving those guys up, we kinda rely on each other.   Bottom line is give AH a try, find out for myself, which is what I thought but it never hurts to ask around.  Thanks for the good feedback.  See ya soon.

tracer

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Game Comparison
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 07:51:22 AM »
Flew WB for 4 years, switched to AH when it came out, never looked back.

Take the time to remap controls similar to WB. It will make the transition easier.

Your going to love the AH mapping interface once you get the hang of it.
Plan on spending some time in the Training arena once you get fired up.
Damage has been turned off in the TA, however you will hear the hits.
And cockpit, wings, etc will show bullet holes on most planes. Timing & FM changes are going to be the biggest adjustments.  Lots of good sticks in there most evenings. And with luck you'll run into a trainer or 2. If you don't, just give trainers@hitechcreations.com a shout.

Major differences, Customer Service, AH has the best, bar none, any online game ever. Big statement, but HT has made it true.  Just email or call, and they'll help.

# of people online, 450 - 650 people online at once does change gameplay.
Tends to bring out the hordes. You'll see those numbers every night.
Daytimes tend to run 100 - 250 with early morning US being the lowest.
Mid afternoons being the highest.

Unlike WB there isn't much offline, so with the exception of bombing practise or shooting a drone or 2 its not a lot of help.

Come on in, the waters fine!