Author Topic: Long ago in warbirds....  (Read 3417 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« on: May 27, 2006, 03:26:46 PM »
Some guy noticed that the play was getting pretty stale and everyone was in nothing but the very fastest planes.... most of the planeset wasn't even getting used... mostly the slower planes were for suckers..

He sugested a rolling planeset idea that I really liked.... it was not about year of introduction because that really wouldn't have improved things...

Nope...he took four groups of planes and arranged them by performance.... years of introduction were not used.  Just arranged by what would be a good matchup.

This seemed like the best idea I had ever seen for a rolling planeset but then they messed it all up...

They made it into a frigging allied vs axis mess...   It should never have been that... allied vs axis made for a lot less choice and a lot less variety in the fight... you couldn't see a spit 109 team take on a FM2 205 team say..

Anyhow... I think that we are at about the point where something has to be done... we are about out of new uberplanes and introducing anything not uber is a total waste in the MA...

A non allied vs axis, performance oriented, rolling planeset just might be what we need to get some good fights going again.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Enduro

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 03:41:57 PM »
If HTC removed the uber fast rides for any period of time, the noobs and dweebs--say about 60% of the population--would log-off for the duration only to return when the hot rods were available again.  Hmmm...actually, I guess that wouldn't be so bad.  Give me a minute...I need some time to think of a negative aspect to the rolling planeset idea.
TBolt
Last edited by hitech on 09-08-2004 at 10:51 AM for flaming everone.

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »
I have to addmit with lazs.
I really did liked allied vs axis setup in WB beeing own arena, but today beeing used to see all against all in AH main i would be  ready to  "fly" some kind of RPS set, no axis/allied in main.

puujiikoo
Ps as enduro said, it may be not good for business;)
Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 06:02:51 PM »
If they did something like that you would still have the pickers and the Furballers and the vulchers and every other style you have now. It would be no different. From a marketing standpoint it would be awful. Imagine some guy coming into the game for the first time and not being able to fly his favorite WWII ride. You know he won’t be signing up at the end of 2 weeks. There is a balance between marketability, realism and game play that has to be observed. If the game becomes too niche-y it will cease to exist and then what will you play? In principle your idea is sound –for the way you play- . Not everyone plays like you and since it’s an open arena there is really no wrong way to play. Sure, I have my own style too and I get pissed off when I see people doing certain things. It’s just the nature of the beast.  Perhaps we should start organizing H2H events. That way you could have more control of your environment.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 06:38:31 PM »
hmm... interesting... so you say that there is playability now?  most are happy?   could be but with more even planesets I don't think that playability could possibly suffer....

As for the newbies?   do you think that they are doing great in the uber rides now?  the only planes they com up against are either other newbies ho'ing em or vets in teams of uberplanes ganging em.  I don't really think that anyone came here because they had allways wanted to fly a spit 16 or la la....  I don't think a fair arena would make newbies run away.

It's not like they get to pick any plane and be untouchable and get to pick on P40's.... if you see a P40 in the ma you will see a dozen guys on him...it is like spotting bigfoot.

nope... you could change the planeset every day or three and then the newbies would get to try everything in a fair environment for their 2 week free trial.

Lots are quitting now because their is no real variety or good fights.... can't imagine people leaving because they don't get to fly a certain plane for a few days.  

Heck... make it 3 groups for three days each.... worst case... you got six days before you get to fly that uber ride that you simply cant live without.   probly their is some less uber version of it in the earlier 2 groups tho so....

say you like spits....or 109's or 190's... you still get to fly one or another every period against planes with comparitively equal performance..

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »
Not a bad idea, A part of me likes it and another part is hessitant.
Anyway the point of me posting is. Whether it's this idea or one of several other ideas that have been submitted by others on the forum.
HT has the back-up arena, I don't understand why he can't try some of these ideas out in there. Give them a try for a couple of months and see what feed back he gets from the community.
It cost nothing except feed back on whether the idea would possibly work or not. I can only see positives coming from this.
I'm sure some would say if you didn't try it in the main arena no one would go to the other one to give it a try. They may be right, I don't know. But at least it's better than not giving any of these ideas a try at all.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Enduro

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 07:06:34 PM »
no one will try it if the beta test isn't implemented within the MA.  i say...give it a try for 3 days or maybe 1 week.  see what happens.  :)
TBolt
Last edited by hitech on 09-08-2004 at 10:51 AM for flaming everone.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »
I don't know if RPS would affect gameplay that much - you can still HO and ram in an early war plane.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
Dok is 100% correct.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 10:11:21 PM »
Well, we get stuck with an abysmal map for a whole week at time and the playerbase seems to tolerate it.

I doubt a 3-day RPS would drive anyone away.

True, HO and ramming will still occur. Some of the HO will be nice deflection shots that the target cries about. Some of the rams will be unintentional and/or unavoidable. There will be deliberate HO's and deliberate rams. So it would be like it is now except that there won't be such a wide variation in speed and other capabilities.

The intentional HO'ers won't have any rides that cruise 100 mph faster than other available planes. They'll be more susceptible to being made to fight.

Cod forbid.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 10:58:36 PM »
In theory you're right, Toad. But the rate of collisions and HO'ing is getting higher every week it seems. It's becoming ingrained behavior.

Experienced players wouldn't object to a RPS much. But the other 80% would whine like a sodomized hyena. And we heard all the whines when the ENY thing was introduced already. It won't matter that no one can fly a 51D, it's only that "I can't fly a 51D."

Maybe when CT comes out, and there's a place where the later-war planes will be in use, it could be tried. With the perk system a RPS could be interesting. During the early 1941 slot maybe a 109F4 or 190A5 are perked planes, while the P40's and whatnot aren't.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 11:41:24 PM »
Funny how I was all of a sudden reminded of the old AW RR vs FR crowds.  

It ended up being two totally different worlds where the dedicated 'flyers' in essence 'graduated' to FR, with the core of the scenario crowd also from that world.

The air quake bunch spent most of their time in the RR arenas.  All of us started in the RR world, but a much smaller bunch wanted to take it further and ended up in the FR world.

This kinda sounds like what folks are looking for.  Not sure that AvA is that place, but it's soundling like it's reaching some sort of fracture point for those folks looking for more then what the MA is providing these days.

Wish I knew what the answer was.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 12:05:28 AM »
i would like to see RPS, then again i would also like to see a small perk price for all the late war monsters in here.

just seems silly to me to have all these great planes, but only have a select few used for the majority of time.  it's not that i don't mind fighting a spit16/la7 in a p38g, it's just that what i spend most of my time doing.  most newbs would fair just as well in an la7, as they would the p40.  being in a better plane doesn't make you less clueless, though it is true and can HO, run and ram better.

more variety is needed.  if they perked the 16/51/la7, we would just see more of some other plane, but so what, it's something different:)

vast
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MINNOW

• Copper Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 12:16:38 AM »
But... for the sake of arguement...

Why should people be penalized from their favorite rides when others have theirs......

Sure I agree and I admit.... The LA7 & Spit 16 are uber rides.... But that doesnt mean they arent easily spanked....

But some people who are really good pilots are super uber in them.

Saying that... There are some pilots that are super uber in 38Js, 51Ds or 190Ds

What would happen when their uber rides arent available....

Just food for thought..

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 12:23:34 AM »
I don't know either, but if the trend continues AH will become a very different gaming experience. Individual skills are going backwards. And the team play is getting more and more centered on playing the odds instead of playing the map.

It's a shame.