Author Topic: Long ago in warbirds....  (Read 3418 times)

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »
deleted by me, cause I miss read what I replied too :O
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 01:00:24 AM »
first, agrees with doc.

second, if you are good, you are good.  being a good virtual pilot would seem to understand ACM, and you should know what certain planes can do better than others, regardless of what you fly.  i would think flight enthusiasts would enjoy flying the earlier versions of their favorite planes, wouldn't they?  what's wrong with the 51b, 190a, 38g's (besides the 38 is porked) being super uber in a spit16, or la7 isn't really saying that much, they are 2/5 of the best planes that are unperked.  why can't you be super uber in a spitV and and la5?  spitV turns well, though low ammo. la5 accelerates quite well as i recall.

i don't think it is should be considered penalizing, just balancing.  late war planes dominate the MA.  the problem i see with RPS, is hoarding.  it is always nice to have the option of upping a 262 to fend off a huge attack.

dunno, could be just me:)
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MINNOW

• Copper Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 01:04:41 AM »
Originally posted by pluck
first, agrees with doc.

second, if you are good, you are good.  being a good virtual pilot would seem to understand ACM, and you should know what certain planes can do better than others, regardless of what you fly.  i would think flight enthusiasts would enjoy flying the earlier versions of their favorite planes, wouldn't they?  what's wrong with the 51b, 190a, 38g's (besides the 38 is porked) being super uber in a spit16, or la7 isn't really saying that much, they are 2/5 of the best planes that are unperked.  why can't you be super uber in a spitV and and la5?  spitV turns well, though low ammo. la5 accelerates quite well as i recall.

i don't think it is should be considered penalizing, just balancing.  late war planes dominate the MA.  the problem i see with RPS, is hoarding.  it is always nice to have the option of upping a 262 to fend off a huge attack.

dunno, could be just me:)

Totally agree...... I have been flying a wider array of birds lately and have had a blast.  So far I have really enjoyed flying the 109F4, that baby can turn on a dime!

Been flyin F6Fs & F4U-1s also plus even the early P47s

I think the real issue is that everyone knows exactly what the key areas for all the maps are and whoever is on reset corner gets ransacked over... We need new maps BADLY!!!!!

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 03:20:35 AM »
From a pure "fun to fly" angle, the Yak-9U is my favorite plane in the game. But in the MA it's ammo load is a handicap - because the MA has become a numbers game. Numbers of players (to Horde) and number of cannons (to HO).

An RPS would allow people to fly the Yak (intro'd in the Winter of '43) against the likes of the P51B, 190A8, and 109G6 ... instead of the late-war monsters it's faced with now. And maybe some players who think there's no life beyond the La-7 or Spit-16 might find out that, in fact, there is.

And, for the early-war part of the rotation, when you don't have quad-cannon planes to work with, nor Flying Fortresses to bomb with, the methods for base capture would have to be adjusted. So the way things get done would be different as the RPS cycled through. People might have to ... think.

And why can't you have several favorite rides? And maybe ... just maybe ... it would be easier for the newbs in the Early War part of the rotation where they don't have Tiffy's and La's just waiting for them to get slow to cherry pick them. When lethalities are lower and fights last a little longer.

But the basic problem (IMO) of the MA is that the Air-Quake mentality is taking over. Both in the individual and team games. I don't want AH to lose the free-form MA ... because it can be something different every night.

But I think base damage and management needs to be changed to adapt to the higher player counts and rampant porking. Scoring needs to change to make vultching, HO'ing, and ramming less rewarding. ENY needs to be sensitive to the total number of planes attacking a country, not just what the numeric odds say the player distribution is. And certain behaviors beyond naughty words on the text buffer should be reportable offenses (spies, shooting up shades to run up a score, etc.) - because these things affect the expectation of behavior for everything else.

You could roll out 100 new maps and you'd see the exact same hordes and ho's and so on used to roll up bases. Because it works and there's no reason to do anything else.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »
I played WB's for 4  or 5 years before i came here in '02

and if there is one  thing i miss the most,,,it the RPS

actually being able to use planes like the Ju88 and P39
without late war rides easily smackin ya down was pretty fun

most will say,,just go to thje AvA or play alot of scenarios
but, we all know everyone is gonna be in the MA

and those "other" arenas have always struggled for attendance no matter what game were talkin about

I'd love it if HTC at least tested it for a month,just to see if peeps liked it.
that 109E vs Spit1 fight you get in may be the quite memorable

though...an RPS with an Axis-Allies set up can ruin a game if its the MA
as WB3 did,,,,MA always needs to be non Axis-Allies for balance IMO
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:36:10 AM by Cooley »
Cooleyof 367th

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 04:19:28 AM »
How about a limited number of each type...

If you loose it, it's gone.

Once a players stock of a model has have run out they need to pay perks for em....

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 04:35:07 AM »
one word:
early war areana.

errr... one.. two.. five...
Sorry, that's five words.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 08:38:30 AM »
Not to pick on anyone but bigr... you don't like it.  let's look at what you fly..  bout 99% very fast late war planes...  lala7... spit 16 and...mostly... tempest..

With the rps.. you could still fly the faster planes... they just wouldn't be 50-70 mph faster than the slowest planes you faced.   How bad is that?  how many P40's or zekes or f4f do you see now?  5%?

you could pick a fast good climbing plane like the  109e say for the first period or an F4u for the second... your tempest or spit 16 for the third.

nope... my point is that the gameplay has gotten stale because only a few planes are useful in the arena and maps we use.... introducing new planes is a waste in the current ma unless they are some bizzare uber ride.   Lots of interesting early and mid war planes will never be used in the MA which is..... let's face it about 95% of this whole sim.

No matter what era... you will be able to have a faster plane than a few of the slowest... you can still trade speed for agility no matter what part of the RPS.... just not in the 50-70 mph range or the turn like a semi vs turn like  a sports car.

I just don't see how more evenly matched planes and more variety would hurt gameplay.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 09:11:10 AM »
A non allied vs axis, performance oriented, rolling planeset just might be what we need

This has my vote , would really like to fly the early year birds more .

I try to do this from time to time but mostly you can't catch the late ones or they out damage you and all you get is "assists" .

Good idea Lazs
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 09:38:05 AM »
Originally posted by Enduro
If HTC removed the uber fast rides for any period of time, the noobs and dweebs--say about 60% of the population--would log-off for the duration only to return when the hot rods were available again.  Hmmm...actually, I guess that wouldn't be so bad.  Give me a minute...I need some time to think of a negative aspect to the rolling planeset idea.

I disagree. People play this game because the like to "fly" in general. In a nutshell, this game is dead to me. And I am in 110% agreement with lazs that it needs a kick in tail. I still pay my 15 bucks a month even though I havent played in a long time, to keep giving HTC support though.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 10:39:26 AM »
People would whine about an RPS, and threaten to quit, just like they do about HOing, collisions, ENY limits, text filters, and spies.

And they'd keep playing, because their favorite cartoon plane doesn't keep them playing- their interest in (insert one : WW2, Aviation, Combat, Squad, Spec Events, Community), and the fact that the game is always going through some sort of change or update will keep them around.

IMO, they'll stick around simply because it's fun.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 11:31:38 AM »
yep.... "favorite rides" is really simplistic code for...

"I want to have a really really big advantage so the best plane is now my favorite even tho I have never even heard of a spit 16 or lala7 or tempest before I logged on here."

I doubt that there are too many guys here who have posters of spit 16's and relatives who flew nothing but em...

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »
Early War Arena ... I'd rather not see the community split up.

Axis v. Allied MA ... I fear it'd lead to too much adoption of the "personality" of one side or the other (i.e. calling each other Nazi's and worse). AvA works as a special event format, but in the Main, with Romper Room out for summer, you're asking for trouble. There's also a vast difference in ord-carrying capability between US and LW rides, it'd skew the MA big time.

An RPS would hopefully induce people to learn something besides HO/vultch/ram/pork ... all of which get tougher in slower planes without gobs of cannons. I still think ground kills should be treated different than air kills.

The level of team play, though, needs attention as well. Since we're looking at RPS, which means also a sliding Perk and ENY scale, then I think something I suggested when ENY came out should also be considered. That is, calculate ENY based on how planes a country is in contact with, in addition to the pure numeric odds. When a country is down to a dozen bases, even if odds look "even" we all know they are not in that situation, and it can stay like that for a while. ENY doesn't address what really happens in the MA. This kind of formula provides less of an edge for Hording or ganging up.

Offline Skull-1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 01:22:34 PM »
Originally posted by Cooley
I played WB's for 4  or 5 years before i came here in '02

and if there is one  thing i miss the most,,,it the RPS

actually being able to use planes like the Ju88 and P39
without late war rides easily smackin ya down was pretty fun

most will say,,just go to thje AvA or play alot of scenarios
but, we all know everyone is gonna be in the MA

and those "other" arenas have always struggled for attendance no matter what game were talkin about

I'd love it if HTC at least tested it for a month,just to see if peeps liked it.
that 109E vs Spit1 fight you get in may be the quite memorable

though...an RPS with an Axis-Allies set up can ruin a game if its the MA
as WB3 did,,,,MA always needs to be non Axis-Allies for balance IMO

I was in WBs for three years before coming here.

I can second some of the observations above.

However.........

What killed the RPS WWIIA in Warbirds:  THREE WEEK WAR (BORING) and RIDICULOUSLY CLOSE-RANGE-ONLY ICONS.    People just got fed up and left.  It's hard to dogfight against little black dots...

There were a *LOT* of skilled LW players and they beat the tar out of the Allies through teamwork, even with rides that could have been considered inferior at times.

What you guys may need to consider is a *THIRD* RPS Arena.  A MIDDLE GROUND.   It can be an RPS Axis vs. Allied...  Or it can be the "balanced matchup" style without perfectly historical RPS...

Bottom line is, don't make the mistake IEN made of saying it has to be "either this or that" because the folks in the middle get left out in the cold and quit.

The WWIIA with Axis vs Allied RPS was VERY VERY popular in Warbirds until the 3WW and Icon settings changes.

Now it is a ghost town and everyone in MA is running around in a P-51, P-38L, or F6F.

BORRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIINGGGG GGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:24:37 PM by Skull-1 »

Offline MonsterO

• Zinc Member
Long ago in warbirds....
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »
Reintroduce FesterMA map with furball island limited plane set.  Also do the same on donut's fighter town.  On each map we should have the option in which a area of the map has restrictions on plane set.