Author Topic: Controversial Ki84  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 05:07:19 PM »
I've been doing the opposite. I'll give it a go this way next time I'm dinking around in photoshop.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 05:18:21 PM »
A very interesting close-up of a weathered cowling (forground) is tempered by a relatively un-weathered craft behind it.

http://www.ijaafpics.com/JB&W2/Ki-84-27.jpg

EDIT:

Distinctly irregular hinomaru (hand painted):
http://www.ijaafpics.com/JB&W2/Ki-84-33.jpg

Note the down slash on the exhaust stain (perhaps from prop wash direction?)
http://www.ijaafpics.com/JB&W3/Ki-84-46s.jpg
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 05:21:27 PM by Krusty »

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »
I dont wana brag but compare the cowling of the first pic you posted with the cowling of my ki... imho that technique gives pretty good results... ;)

when doing the oposite it really does look like you have sprayed grey dust on the plane... not worn of the color...

Tex
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 06:18:57 PM by TexMurphy »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 02:50:35 AM »
Shame would like to see one black, oh well.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »
Don't worry. It's nearly black. Anybody fighting against you will only see a very dark color. I can only tell the difference because I have a bright LCD. Somebody with a CRT might just see pure black.

I chose my color with a lot of thought. If it was so dark that some people though it was black, that tells you something. The color you see in those screenshots is one of two choices I was thinking of. The second was too dark. I wanted a little distinction between the anti-glare and the rest of the plane. I might yet make it half a shade darker (than it is) before I'm done.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 02:43:36 AM »
Oh yeah, that sounds right.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 10:03:34 PM »
I'm still playing with how to do some wing chipping. Mind you I don't think there will be this much in the final version -- but when else can I learn it?? :p

There's 3 types of wear on this image.

The fuselage has the same type as the wing root, but has the edges softened by a very light blur.

The wing roots have a combination of layer mask (simple bare metal underneath) and lighter brush-based scratches (the two in tandem is how I made it look like this)

And just at the end of the image you can see some white blur... That's an attempt to get the wear on the outer wing panels down pat. I haven't got anything good yet so I didn't focus on that.

So what do you think of the fuselage and the wing root?

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Controversial Ki84
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2006, 11:44:15 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty

As an avid fan and flyer of the Ki-84 in AH, Im plain giddy looking at this. I hope in the end she only has slightly weathered paint, but either way this will be my new exclusive skin. Very,very, nice Krusty. :aok

Hurry up btw:D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Controversial Ki84
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Hurry up btw:D

:rofl

I just need to tweak the white around the arrow where it touches the anti-glare, need to add stains/drips/leaks, and then the weathering.... The question is: how much? How little? etc etc. I've got to play with it to find out what "feels" right, and that means (basically) it takes time. :/

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2006, 11:55:54 AM »
Well take your time and make sure youre happy with it. I already am.:aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 11:58:25 AM »
No worries. I think I'll just put a hold on the paint chipping practice and do everything but that. Then I'll return to it as the final step.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 12:20:12 AM »
More progress, now that the chipping has been pushed to the side. This is what I had in mind when I began (not so much chipping as much as paint wearing). Probably not entirely historical, but it's a start.

[EDIT: P.S. This is a darker color. Too dark for my tastes. I think I'm going a shade lighter to differentiate the anti-glare more, but I just took the screenshots anyways]

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 12:34:59 AM »
Quick color update: I think I'll stick with this shade. All the other details in the previous screenshots are the same, I just changed the layer with the base color.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006, 01:47:22 AM »
Looks great man:aok

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 04:25:32 AM »
The katakana (naruno or "No step") on the left wing is mirror image. I suppose that's the way the wing textures have to be, but it's not readable like that.

I suspect you made the kanji on the fuselage in Photoshop or something else? Not criticizing, just pointing out that the second kanji is written a little strange.

Here is an image:

Good luck!