Author Topic: 'Knock Knock"  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2006, 12:23:45 AM »
Originally posted by Nash

When asking for a warrant, you must state who you intend to search, and what you intend to find.

So a warrant was issued to search a bartender and the premises for narcotics. The police presented the warrant, and then searched the bartender, the bar, and then every single patron of the bar.

Narcotics were found on one of the patrons, but the Supreme Court (this was '79) tossed it out.

Warrant, and bad search.

Sounds like everything worked out well.

The warrant was successfull in the scope (search the premises for narcotics). And the SC threw it out
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 12:26:45 AM by Mr Big »

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2006, 12:29:17 AM »
Sure it did.

But that was the Supreme Court then.

And we only had to do this little history lesson in order to bring a former law enforcement official up to speed on the distinction between bad warrantless searches, and bad warranted searches.

What are you missing? This post is about the Supreme Court now making what would have been a bad warranted search, suddenly golden.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2006, 12:38:16 AM »
Nope Nash I wanted you to explain the original meaning in what you were referring to in the post I had quoted.

Yep I understand the difference between a good search, bad search and a warrant search (good and bad). Had the warrant been worded properly for the tavern search you mentioned they might, I say might, have made it fly to search all the patrons if they could have expounded reasonable suspicion when obtaining the warant that the tavern, bartender and patrons were routinely involved in dope trafficing either as seller, buyer, facilitator etc. and on but that would still be a stretch and the issuing Judge may just balk at it. Now while conducting the search in accordance with the warrants instructions the Officers could pat down the patrons for possession of weapons as a means of maintaining a safe area during the search and could easily come up with narcotics in that situation. Pat down searches (non intrusive) are a routine operation and would be considered reasonable same for identifying the patrons present at the time of the warrant service. Finding something would be chancey but possible as it happens all the time.

The warrant has to outline in detail the location to be searched and the items being sought. There are details that allow a "reasonable" search for those items. Example, you can't open a shoe box in the closet if you are searching a garage for stolen cars. If you can state that there may be records related to the stolen cars kept in a shoebox then it's all open season on shoe boxes AND places that a shoebox may be kept in the location to be searched. In either case if it isn't explained during the time the warrant is secured it likely will have to be ignored unless you can get an expansion to the warrant. The devil is always in the freaking details.

In any case I don't think you any longer recall the thought you had in mind when you made the post.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2006, 12:39:25 AM »
Sure it did.

And we only had to do this little history lesson in order to bring a former law enforcement official up to speed on the distinction between bad warrantless searches, and bad warranted searches.

What are you missing? This post is about the Supreme Court now making what would have been a bad warranted search, suddenly golden.

Why is that? Because they don't have to knock now? lol.

That knock is VERY important!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2006, 12:46:44 AM »
Come on....

I have to sit here and cover the basics for y'all.... and because of that you accuse me of losing sight of my post?

I didn't lose sight of my post. You never had it.

If you want to get back on topic, brush up on the Castle Doctrine and the NRA hyped "Stand Your Ground" law passed in Florida, and reconcile the innevitable clash with the latest SC ruling.

And if you're going to accuse me of drifting again, don't bother - do your own homework.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2006, 12:48:41 AM »
Sure it did.

Let's hold on a minute here and I want to make this clear.

I think with the training and the experiance I had makes me a bit more familiar with searches than you are. I merely persisted in asking you what YOU meant with the post you made. I didn't ask for a history lesson nor a clarification of what is or is not a valid search. To date you still have not answered the question but it's been a bit of time since you made it and I don't think you really recall what you were trying to say in it. Certainly your "history lesson" didn't explain what YOU were thinking about when you made that post I quoted.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2006, 12:49:51 AM »
See above.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2006, 01:13:56 AM »
Still no answer. I have responded to your posts in far more detail to explain what I was saying and why. You on the other hand merely obfuscate or evade the question.

One last time and I'm merely quoting it for purposses of clarification. Here is the post, in it's entirety that I was asking about.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Nifty
So Nash, what you're saying is, you would like the evidence in the particular search and seizure to be inadmissable in the trial? (yeah, I know the actual seizure happened in 1998 or something)

Oops, sorry cops. You didn't knock. All that incriminating evidence you found isn't allowed into the trial. Sorry DA, looks like you don't have a case now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Your reply to Nifty)

That's exactly how it should be. There is a distinction between a search without a vaild warrant, and a warranted search badly executed. There have always been situations where evidence is discovered through error. The Supreme Court ruling now invites it, with the understanding now that there are no drawbacks to executing a bad search.

It really is that simple.

_____________________________ ______

My confusion here is that in the case being discussed there was no indications of a warrantless search nor did Nifty mention one. You brought up this thing with the term distinction and invalid warrant as well as how the search was executed. I asked for clarification for what you were trying to say. That's all. Should have been simple for you to clear up what you meant even though you had an obvious error in the post.

FWIW the normal result of a truly bad search, warrantless or not, is the same, exclusion of the evidence found during the search. No distinction there at all.

In this case the Court chose to rule the search was NOT invalid merely because of a technical situation, that being failure to knock and wait 15 to 20 seconds. There was a warrant and no challenge to the validity of the warrant was mentioned. There was also knowledge that there was an armed suspect in the premisis and no one disputed that there was an announced entrance made.

You chose to interpret this as an open invitation for a "bad search" which is a conlusion not supported by the actual information in the article. There are far more considerations in deteriminimng a good vs a bad search than this one point regarding knocking and time before entering. Further clarification will be had on the scope of this case when the ruling, or at least a GOOD extract of it, is available for anyone to review.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2006, 01:18:28 AM »
Maverick.... are you multitasking again? Too much on the go? What's going on with you?

Your first sentence, from which everything else flows:

"My confusion here is that in the case being discussed there was no indications of a warrantless search nor did Nifty mention one." - Maverick

Who said it was a warrantless search?

Jesious.....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:20:33 AM by Nash »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:29 AM »
Search without a valid warrant is a warrantless search. Should be simple to understand here.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2006, 01:23:27 AM »
Totally understandable.

But, that's not what went down here.... it's not what this post is about, and my patience is just about wearing thin with you.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2006, 01:26:51 AM »
Totally understandable.

But, that's not what went down here.... it's not what this post is about, and my patience is just about wearing thin with you.

Bingo!! But you brought it up and I just asked for clarification. Now you are losing patience, tisk tisk.

Quite a bit of what you posted about the ruling and the sky is falling tone was not about what the case contained either, just like the troll question of is it OK to shoot a police Officer.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2006, 01:31:13 AM »
You need to go to bed. Or at least pause, stop even, reflect, consider, re-read the thread and attack it anew.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2006, 01:37:22 AM »
Nope I hit all my targets thank you very much. You can't answer so instead issue a thinly veiled ad hominum attack. You are right about one thing. Going to bed is likely to be more constructive than arguing with you.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2006, 01:40:01 AM »
I didn't answer?

I coulda sworn I've answered it twice now!

Okay.... gimme your question again, and I'll answer it for like, the 3rd time.

After that? You're so on your own.

Actually, screw that...

I answered your questions. So employ your back button, your scroll bar, and the mighty weight of your intellect.

Your innability to grasp basic concepts is no longer my concern.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, but thems the brakes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:57:26 AM by Nash »