Author Topic: 'Knock Knock"  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
'Knock Knock"
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:53:18 PM »
"Who's there?"

"Actually Mr. Smith, it's us, the police... Wake up, we're searching your home."

Conservative Supreme Court Justices Scalia, Roberts, Kennedy, Thomas, and (providing the deciding vote) Alito just got done nixing the law that the police have to knock before entering your home.

A simple question:

Is it okay to kill a cop?

When an intruder enters onto your private property in the dead of night, and you excercise your right to blow said intruder away from the corner of a darkened hallway.... what happens when that intruder turns out to be a member of your local law enforcement? My money is on that property owner getting 20 to life.

Question: Where do the government's rights end, and where do yours begin?

This question goes out to the merry few who happily cheerlead the steady march to fascism whilst sneering at the notion of big government.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Re: 'Knock Knock"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:58:43 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
what happens when that intruder turns out to be a member of your local law enforcement?  

You reload and wish you had the forsight to get a semi and a drum magazine.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:00:31 PM »
nash, the great crusader for human rights, civil liberty and justice for all disenfranchised americans!  Im damned glad nash is here for us.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:09:19 PM »
It'll be ruled unconstitutional on the basis of no unreasonable searches or seizures.  And if not?  Follow what Hangtime said:aok
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:15:21 PM »
Originally posted by nirvana
It'll be ruled unconstitutional on the basis of no unreasonable searches or seizures.

Hmm.. I wasn't aware that there was a court high enough to overrule the Supreme Court.

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
"Who's there?"

"Actually Mr. Smith, it's us, the police... Wake up, we're searching your home."

Conservative Supreme Court Justices Scalia, Roberts, Kennedy, Thomas, and (providing the deciding vote) Alito just got done nixing the law that the police have to knock before entering your home.

A simple question:

Is it okay to kill a cop?

When an intruder enters onto your private property in the dead of night, and you excercise your right to blow said intruder away from the corner of a darkened hallway.... what happens when that intruder turns out to be a member of your local law enforcement? My money is on that property owner getting 20 to life.

Question: Where do the government's rights end, and where do yours begin?

This question goes out to the merry few who happily cheerlead the steady march to fascism whilst sneering at the notion of big government.

Why does it matter if the intruder is a cop?

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 08:17:56 PM »
Certainly you can defend your home and shoot intruders in the middle of the night, at least in Texas. You can't shoot 'em if you know them to be police though. The cops know the risks.

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:23:33 PM »
Nash, you good at checkers? How about Chess?

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 08:29:12 PM »
-strikes up Deutschland Uber Alles-

http://eri.ca/refer/deutschl.MP3

Alito, Alito above all
Above everything in the world
When, always, for protection and defense
Brothers stand together.
From the Malls to the Home
From the Eckerds to the Bell's (Outlet),
Alito, alito above all
Above all in the world.

:confused:
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »
Nash, it's funny to me that the first thought to pop into your head is that maybe a cop will get shot by a homeowner.

Did you even consider the reverse?

Government is GOOD!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 08:34:47 PM »
Less rights... that's good, right?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 09:08:12 PM »

My money is on the property owner gets dead.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline DJ111

• Silver Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 09:13:36 PM »
Don't they usually yell 'POLICE' & 'WE HAVE A SEARCH WARRANT' or something over and over again when they enter... ?
Retired CO of the ancient **Flying Monkeys** CT squadron.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 09:14:45 PM »
So?   This ruling was in response to a justified warrant searching a home, and finding contraband As Expected.  Tried to be tossed out because the cops missed 1 Step in the process of announcing, and Had the cop Knocked, at the same time Yelled that the Cops were here and did Everything else right, they Still would have found the contraband.

Too many of these cases are "lost" on a suck arsed technicality bent on avoiding the Real Problem which was the stupid guy got Busted for the right reasons.

Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the majority, said Detroit police acknowledge violating that rule when they called out their presence at a man’s door then went inside three to five seconds later. “Whether that preliminary misstep had occurred or not, the police would have executed the warrant they had obtained, and would have discovered the gun and drugs inside the house,” Scalia wrote.

Instead of feeding cute soundbites out to these guys, why not link the story  and take a look a a broader sweep on the subject than you make it out to be.

Granted, sniping is entertaining, but really does noone any good.  Now, you show me Exactly where this ruling will allow an officer to simply Walk into my home simply because he wants to search it?  Surely you don't think it's that simple, you always struck me as at least rational.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
'Knock Knock"
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 09:19:26 PM »
Don't they usually yell 'POLICE' & 'WE HAVE A SEARCH WARRANT' or something over and over again when they enter... ?

Yes, they do, and Still do.  They missed the One Step of Knocking, while Yelling POLICE!!!!  And the Courts said ok, this is just enough of the BS.  And Yes, they Still need a Search Warrant, and Announce.  The Courts are lining up to Stop the inane garbage the defense lawyers are using to get criminals out of jail.  I'm ok with that.  Chances are slim I'll have to worry about them crashing into my home unannounced.  One of the many perks one gets to enjoy by Wanting to stay on the civilized side of "civilization".
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.