Author Topic: Seattle Homes  (Read 613 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Seattle Homes
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:42:02 AM »
I may be moving out this way to work for Microsoft in Redmond, WA.   Any areas to NOT live in?  Price for say...a 3Br home, etc.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 07:44:14 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:44:19 AM »
Hmmm I'd say stay away from any coffee shop that you see caffeine crazed zombies in all the time.  And any of the areas in which rich people reside.  Unless you are rich, then more power to ya.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:49:11 AM »
Maybe you could rent Rip's Garage Mahal.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 07:55:55 AM »
LOL MT :D

The fluffy ripdorm would not fit a geek. Imagine all the "cola" stains. ;)

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Seattle Homes
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 08:08:51 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana
Hmmm I'd say stay away from any coffee shop that you see caffeine crazed zombies in all the time.  And any of the areas in which rich people reside.  Unless you are rich, then more power to ya.

I just got back from my Alaskan cruise last week and still recooping.. Between Vancouver BC and Seattle Wa.  I think these people live only coffee!!

Seems like Seattle is a nice area..  Took a drive out to Mt Rainier, very cool national park. Not sure I want to live that close to the Volcano in some of those small towns..  I'm still in awe..  :D

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 08:14:51 AM »
The further out in the woods that you live the cheaper it will be.  For something in Redmond you might expect to pay 500k plus for a 3 br.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:17:20 AM »
You'll be shocked is all I can say.  The avg. 3 bdrm 2 bth 1800 sq. ft. home runs about $463,000 (30 year old home)
http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2006/06/05/daily11.html?surround=lfn

Stay away from certain areas of Renton  and certain areas of South Seattle.(The realtors will profile you and then direct you to the right areas to live)

A 1--1.5 hour commute into the city is not unheard of in order to afford housing.

You might check out North Bend, its a growing area about 45 minutes east (foothills of the cascades). Its a direct shot to Redmond from I-90, but again, the prices won't be much better.  We've lost 2 software engineers (who moved out from Indiana to work at Boeing) in the last month due to the extremely high cost of living. They were making $50k a year (fresh out of college) and couldn't afford to buy a house here.  They took other jobs elsewhere in the country.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 09:22:06 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 09:20:59 AM »
You're going to learn all about creative house financing, the 80-20 and 80-10-10 loan, the whole bit.  Good luck.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 09:22:46 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
You're going to learn all about creative house financing, the 80-20 and 80-10-10 loan, the whole bit.  Good luck.

They now offer a 50 year loan. Can you imagine?!?  50 year loan! LMAO!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 09:24:05 AM »
Heh, yea you'll never be upside down with a 50 yr mortgage...  :rolleyes:
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 09:24:09 AM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
The further out in the woods that you live the cheaper it will be.  For something in Redmond you might expect to pay 500k plus for a 3 br.
Redmond has surpassed Bellevue for housing costs. For 500k you'd get a 70 year old home that has 2 bedrooms and a rotting deck.  There is a bubble here in Washington state, our house value has tripled in 8 years. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 09:26:32 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 09:34:27 AM »
as long as it stay there for one more year when I sell...>  We are going to San Fran for a year..  Strongly debating selling instead of renting because we think we are coming back but are not sure.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 09:52:11 AM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
as long as it stay there for one more year when I sell...>  We are going to San Fran for a year..  Strongly debating selling instead of renting because we think we are coming back but are not sure.
If you sell, you won't be able to afford to move back here.  I'd rent it out if you can.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Seattle Homes
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 10:20:48 AM »
Found some potential in and around Olympia.   I'll keep you posted.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Seattle Homes
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 10:24:18 AM »
We've been looking at houses up there, found a couple in Snohomish and Monroe that look promising.  I'm interviewing at Microsoft on Monday, we'll see how that develops.

The prices remind me of what they were in LA when we sold.  Heck, maybe I should rent one of my mother's properties for a while (if we move) and wait for the bubble to pop.  Such a gamble....  can't tell if the bubble will pop, or if it will just sorta sit there for a few years before heading up again.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis