Author Topic: Tactical approach advice: Tempest vs F4U-4  (Read 640 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Tactical approach advice: Tempest vs F4U-4
« on: June 17, 2006, 09:17:54 PM »
Was having some fun chasing down runners in a head to head...er 8 person....arena, when unexpectedly I ended up in a very nice fight.

I had upped a Tempest to deal with an annoying player, and after that dispatch I merged with a F4U=4 coalt. What followed was an interesting challenge against a pilot who was at a similar skill level (poor fellow).

We did the expected immel. but -4's superior low speed stability gave him angle adavantage at the top. I was able to anticipate the angle, spiral turn some, and extend to neutralize the danger...and when I'd get to 2 or so, I'd split S and come back in to do it again. Unfortunately, i didnt hhave film running, but i remember my opponent reversed with something like a high yoyo followed by nosing down below me to rebuild speed and then arching back up more or less at me. I thouhgt this would cost him angles and energy as I stayed higher, but I never seemed to cash in.

After literally 5 minutes fight, ranging from 9k to 1k and back up again, he ran low on fuel so I split -s'd at 1 K for reversal to merge....and that gave him the angle for a nice pilot wound. I augered out so he'd get the kill....

But it got me wondering -- whats the best way for each side to run that matchup? I imagine the -4 should try to go vertical and take adavantage of the flaps, while the temepest should extend to the point of BnZ for a reversal and snapshots with the hispanos. I didnt want to be that conservative, but in being aggressive I did lose after all....

ANy thoughts about the matchuhp in general? ANd whats a good counter when the enemy drops low, gathers speed, zoom climbs right behind my tail  with a flight path almost perpendicularly vertical to me followed by a  near stall with hammerhead to tuck onto the 6?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline BTILiLKilla

• Zinc Member
Re: Tactical approach advice: Tempest vs F4U-4
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 10:01:58 PM »
im sorry, but that is all latin to me, can u resay that, but in English?:D

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Re: Tactical approach advice: Tempest vs F4U-4
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 11:04:08 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril

ANd whats a good counter when the enemy drops low, gathers speed, zoom climbs right behind my tail  with a flight path almost perpendicularly vertical to me followed by a  near stall with hammerhead to tuck onto the 6?

the rope manouver is understated in most cases as the roper only use the vertical axis in a straight up, straight down motion.

what you want to be doing is using your extra speed to drag your oponent up in a lose spiral climb, range being about 800-600 yrds, as he starts to fire and your flaps have to pop out you need to drop the nose and enter a shallow flat turn at the top of your climb, not only will this force your opponent to stall faster as he tracks your turn, it will also make for a much harder target than a stalled out helicopter. after this most often you need to half roll back onto the enemy as he stalls and go easy on the power to make sure you dont overshoot your target.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: Re: Tactical approach advice: Tempest vs F4U-4
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 04:33:19 AM »
Originally posted by BTILiLKilla

Its AH speak for "We had a good fight!" :)

All those technical terms in air combat can be pretty overhelming at the beginning.... dont worry, with time and some reading, youll learn them quick :).

In a nutshell, they both tried to get an advantage by climbing above the opponent all the while trying to turn into him to get on his tail. In the end Simaril misjudged his altitude, Split-Sed very low and needed to concentrate on not augering for a second or two - that gave the F4U the opening it needed.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 10:08:04 AM »
In a co-alt, co-E situation, the F4U-4 will eat the Tempest for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Its only real shortcoming is a comparative lack of firepower, but that doesn't mean much when you're on the other guy's six for most of the fight.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 11:09:10 AM »
Tempest is faster,climbs better and has cannons..I'll take the Tempest
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 04:08:09 PM »
Originally posted by BTILiLKilla

Here are some illustrations I robbed from aircombat.com:

The high yoyo, which lets you turn tighter without losing lots of speed

The immelman (or immel) which lets you climb, change direction, and keep position without losing speed/energy -- because diving down gives back most of the speed you lost.

And the split-s (shaped like the bottom half of an S -- get it?) which lets you reverse direction and gain speed in a hurry:

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 04:18:56 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
the rope manouver is understated in most cases as the roper only use the vertical axis in a straight up, straight down motion.

I didnt get the move across well.

What was happening is this -- we merged, both immeled, came back towards each other with less E and no clear shot for either.

After 2nd merge at the top of the loop, not having much speed, he did a yoyo and dove lower to build up speed. I did a nose uyp spiral turn into him.

His faster plane cut a larger circle , like the bottom half of a loop, and pulled up sharply as if trying for a shot. I didnt follow, so the rope wasnt an issue.
(Killa -- with the rope, a faster enemy tries to trick you into a steep climb to catch him or get a shot. You run out of speed first, cause he was faster, and as you get really slow and helpless he flips over to kill you .)

Because of my spiral turn, the shot wasnt there -- but he just rcoketed up BEHIND me. I continued the spiral climb hoping to get behind him as he lost speed above me, and maybe get a shot as he went up or down.

But, he used rudder at the very top of his climb, slid the nose down (Killa -- thats about what a hammerhead is -- nose up to aaalllmost stalling, then nosing back over to be on the opponents 6 as he flies by).

AS he came down he could roll to get in line with me, and dropped onto my 6.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, unless I should have just forgotten the spiral climb, blown out, and reversed to try for a snappshot later. Like I said, i expect that the slower I went , the more the f4u-4s flaps would hurt me -- but I didnt want to do a straight bore-n-zoom.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:22:42 PM by Simaril »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 05:58:09 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
Tempest is faster,climbs better and has cannons..I'll take the Tempest

I'll take the F4U-4, and I'll win.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 06:06:07 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

-- Todd/Leviathn

Evil HTC bots don't count.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 07:15:57 PM »

-- Todd/Leviathn

You could probably take a C47 and win ;).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 07:44:07 PM »

-- Todd/Leviathn

I'll do it...Should be interesting match-up.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 08:04:46 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
I'll do it...Should be interesting match-up.

I'm afraid Todd will make short work of the Tempest. The F4U-4 is truly the best fighter in the game.

I wrote this about a month ago in a different thread.

"The F4U-4 is the best all around fighter in the plane set... If it had hizookas, it would be second only to the 262 in perk price.

There's much to what a makes a great fighter. The F4U-4 can reach 446 mph at 25k, about 370 on the deck. It's sustained climb rate is in the top 10 or better. Acceleration ranks it among the fastest, considerably better acceleration than the Spit16 from 250 mph on up. Great roll rate, best rudder of any fighter. Its "wonder flaps" and power loading can screw a Spit16 into the ground. Almost nothing but the very best turn fighters can beat the -4 in a stall fight and those turn fighters will need a damn good pilot as the average guy will surely die.

If you can't beat virtually anything you encounter.... It's not the plane's fault. Co-E, Co-alt merge with a Tempest, the Tempest driver better go for the HO... He probably won't see the F4U-4 in his windscreen again.

Oh, one last thing. Turning at speed is limited by G loading on the pilot. Below corner velocity the F4U-4 can begin getting out flaps and REALLY tighten its turn. With full flaps it's as close to a helicopter as anything in the game. Super tight turn radius and the ability to break out of a lufberry and climb like crazy. Flown by a pilot who knows how to exploit it, the F4U-4 is as bad as bad gets."

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 12:39:09 AM »
After 2nd merge at the top of the loop, not having much speed, he did a yoyo and dove lower to build up speed. I did a nose uyp spiral turn into him...Because of my spiral turn, the shot wasnt there -- but he just rcoketed up BEHIND me. I continued the spiral climb hoping to get behind him as he lost speed above me, and maybe get a shot as he went up or down. Because of my spiral turn, the shot wasnt there -- but he just rcoketed up BEHIND me. I continued the spiral climb hoping to get behind him as he lost speed above me, and maybe get a shot as he went up or down.

I thought in your first post you said you did a split S, couldn't figure out how he got below you if he did a high yo-yo.  With this description I think it's pretty obvious he used his excellent energy addition rate nose low to enable him to zoom climb above you.

But, he used rudder at the very top of his climb, slid the nose down (Killa -- thats about what a hammerhead is -- nose up to aaalllmost stalling, then nosing back over to be on the opponents 6 as he flies by).

It sounds like the problem here is that you were in a very poor energy addition position.  Both planes can get knots in a heartbeat nose low which is what he did and he traded all his e for altitude in the zoom to put him in the catbird seat above you while you were spiral climbing gaining some altitude but at a steady and relatively slow speed.  You were actually losing e relative to him and you certainly lost position advantage.  Once he zoomed above you should should have dumped your nose and run...err...extended.  E fighting is really all about tradoffs.  E by itself does nothing, but the ability to convert E to position is what let's you cash it in.  I'd say that both planes are pretty equal in some areas (energy addition, dive speed, zoom climb) but the dash 4 has a better sustained turn rate and slow speed handling.  Using a better energy addition strategy allowed him to convert for position then use his superior slow speed handling over the top to beat you.  Make sense?

So, how do you beat the dash 4 in your scenario?  Instead of the spiral climb you probably should have matched his nose low maneuver, added e, and then gone pure vertical for another beak to beak pass over the top looking for a forward quarter shot.  You're not going to get behind him by turning unless he makes a mistake.  In the vertical fight he'll still make a few angles on you doing this but you should have a shot at each pass. You can't do this but a couple of times and if you haven't gotten him and you're losing too many angles (i.e., he's almost in a position to lead turn you over the top) it's time to take him 180 out (either at the top or bottom) and extend away to redefine the fight.  If he's gaining both angles and altitude on you then he's probably lighter....another strong indication it's time to bug out.

Also, the Tempest has a "heavy nose", it's hard to get it moving uphill again if you're too nose low and too fast so your throttle should be at idle as you come down and full plus WEP the rest of the time.  Also if he decides to extend in the vertical to gain altitude on you vice angles you can be in trouble.  It's much easier for the dash 4 to do a rudder reversal over the top so if he gets above you (as he did in your case) you need to dump your nose while he's still nose high and run like a scalded ape.  If you end up burying your nose you're going to lose a lot of angles and altitude at the top so either dive away immediately or begin a pull up and watch him until he commits to the vertical thinking thats what you're doing, then roll over, unload and extended to gain sufficient separation to come back for a forward quarter merge.

Just my opinon, hope it helps.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 05:08:41 AM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
[I

...snip...

Just my opinon, hope it helps.

Mace

Thanks!

I didnt realize just how MUCH the -4 outclassed the tempest. Now I dont feel so bad!  :rofl :rofl