Author Topic: good news beet1e!  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:36:30 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2006, 11:01:52 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:36:44 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2006, 11:04:19 PM »
"Hey Daddy, can I have a car for my 16th birthday?"

"Sure baby, what color Smart Car do you want?  Their only 15k, so I'll get your the hardtop for winter and the convertible for summertime!"

"Gee thanks Daddy."
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 11:06:13 PM »
"Honey I need a new commuter car, and the parking downtown is fierce."

"Why don't we try a Smart Car, dear."
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006, 11:06:30 PM »
Originally posted by Mr Big
\

Let's hear you're best argumrent for this stupid car's viability in the US.

I see a couple things going for it:
Fuel costs rising: I'm pretty sure this will be attractive for those commuting in the city in stop and go traffic where engines tend to use the most fuel.

Purchase cost: Makes it very attractive for single people. College kids will buy them up because their professors already brainwash them about corporate oil pirates and global warming while they drive their lincoln town cars home after teaching class.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 11:07:41 PM »
Around here it is anything but poor people buying it...lots of younger women and older women. For inner city travel it's perfect as a second car...the wife needs to pick someone up at the subway stop... that kind of thing.  Maybe your daughter needs a car to take her to university and home?...a car like this is perfect...and goes on and on...

Not really that cheap either...I think they are around 23,000$ CAN

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:37:45 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2006, 11:10:02 PM »

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
good news beet1e!
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2006, 11:10:34 PM »
Originally posted by Mr Big
See Rule #5

Ah...

So the reason that "it figures" that these cars are all over the place up here is that: "When you are poor, you buy crap like this."

Allow me to be the first to inform you of something.

Canada, and my province in particular, is sitting on 66% of the world's oil reserves. That makes Canada, and the province where I see these smart cars driving around in, decidedly not poor. My city in particular is exploding. The money is coming in faster than folks can figure out a good way of spending it.

So isn't it an interesting dichotomy then?.... to on the one hand have a wealthy population who makes their money off of oil, and on the other have that same population purchasing environmentally sound vehicles which uses very little of it.

Do you want me to compare that to the wealthy (loan us money - please!) Americans who have very little in the way of their own oil, yet who still deem it neccessary to drive around in gas-sucking behemoth-sized vehicles (most of which will never see anything even close to the terrain that these things were supposedly designed for)?

Is that a debate you want to have?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:38:57 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2006, 11:11:32 PM »
I guess you didn't read this part, Nuke.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In every test, the strength and rigidity designed into the tridion safety cell provided greater occupant safety than in other small cars and the deformation values measured were below all internationally recognized standards for all vehicles and in some cases the results for smart were significantly below these standards. This is particularly true in the case of a collision between the smart and a larger and heavier vehicle -- for example a collision with a Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better get her that Vespa she wants instead.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Ah...

So the reason that "it figures" that these cars are all over the place up here is that: "When you are poor, you buy crap like this."

Canada, and my province in particular, is sitting on 66% of the world's oil reserves. That makes Canada, and the province where I see these smart cars driving around in, decidedly not poor. My city in particular is exploding. The money is coming in faster than folks can figure out a good way of spending it.

So isn't it an interesting dichotomy then?.... to on the one hand have a wealthy population who makes their money off of oil, and on the other have that same population purchasing environmentally sound vehicles which uses very little of it.

Do you want me to compare that to the wealthy (loan us money - please!) Americans who have very little in the way of their own oil, yet who still deem it neccessary to drive around in gas-sucking behemoth-sized vehicles (most of which will never see anything even close to the terrain that these things were supposedly designed for)?

So are you retiring anytime soon?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2006, 11:13:33 PM »
Anyone know if that thing is AWD? If they make an AWD model, it'll even sell better.

Ah well, gotta go, littlest is calling for story time.

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2006, 11:18:56 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Ah...

So you are all rich oil barons?!

Then why would you buy this "car"?

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
good news beet1e!
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2006, 11:20:04 PM »
Do rich people buy these cars?

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
good news beet1e!