Author Topic: For all you AMD X2 and XP users  (Read 20906 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
For all you AMD X2 and XP users
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »
I've tried both the Optimizer and the MS KB patch from Microsoft, Neither has allowed me to run in dual core mode.

Skuzzy, when I went to set my compatibility mode to XP I didn't see that option. Did I overlook something? I tried windows 2000 instead. Again same thing, screen froze after a few minutes and then froze quicker after reboot. I've been in contact with amd about this. Plan on e-mailing them again when I get home. The one thing I noticed in their e-mail was that it's not both the AMD optimizer patch and the KB patch it is either or. At least that is how it came across in their e-mail. I tried just the KB patch last night.

Tonight I will try just the optimizer patch.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline BWC

• Zinc Member
For all you AMD X2 and XP users
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »
I just downloaded the game today and the patch works great!

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Re: For all you AMD X2 and XP users
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »
 I had the spinning clip board after building my new computer.After all the windows updates including SP2 and the patches here,its fine.No prob.Make sure you have all the microcrap updates to windows and that your bios is up to date.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
amd sucks.  I'll never buy it again.  Even their mobo manufacturers are starting to loth making boards for their chips. Too much engineering needed as they find with the sub chip makers to get things done their way or to have to do it themselves. 

AMD is like comparing a chevy cobalt with a nissan maxima.  Sure you can drive as fast as the maxima but in the long run, you will be much happier with the maxima...but you WILL pay more.

Fortunately the difference between the two 'comparable' chips is very little in contrast thus, I will NEVER buy an AMD again.  We are in the process of ripping out a few servers that run AMD chips (opterons) which I hope to grab up the chips for my use as these ARE good chips actually.  Unfortunate for them, they had too many issues and the guy who made the decision at a company I do work for was burned by his AMD home build with flaky behaviors and chasing the issues for months only to discover some inherit flaws with his board and chip.  At that point, he and I realized the shortcuts that AMD takes to try to compete and find it alarming that they work as well as they do.

Unfortunately - M$ gets the blame for the crashes, while in actuality - their operating system is keeping it working better than it should.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
amd sucks.  I'll never buy it again.  Even their mobo manufacturers are starting to loth making boards for their chips. Too much engineering needed as they find with the sub chip makers to get things done their way or to have to do it themselves. 

AMD is like comparing a chevy cobalt with a nissan maxima.  Sure you can drive as fast as the maxima but in the long run, you will be much happier with the maxima...but you WILL pay more.

Fortunately the difference between the two 'comparable' chips is very little in contrast thus, I will NEVER buy an AMD again.  We are in the process of ripping out a few servers that run AMD chips (opterons) which I hope to grab up the chips for my use as these ARE good chips actually.  Unfortunate for them, they had too many issues and the guy who made the decision at a company I do work for was burned by his AMD home build with flaky behaviors and chasing the issues for months only to discover some inherit flaws with his board and chip.  At that point, he and I realized the shortcuts that AMD takes to try to compete and find it alarming that they work as well as they do.

Unfortunately - M$ gets the blame for the crashes, while in actuality - their operating system is keeping it working better than it should.

and then again, some book taught people who never really had any HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, lay blame on the product and not on the person who set it all up.........

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline a1945

• Zinc Member
      • YouTube
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
Hey Skuzzy, are you the hardware man er somethin because if you aare can you tell me this im running a intel core 2 duo inside running at 1.4 mghz, and a 8600GT Nvidia video card, how do i know im running both processors

Offline a1945

• Zinc Member
      • YouTube
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 02:01:40 AM »
am i some kind of death sentence for threads er something? :uhoh

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2008, 05:39:47 AM »
I've installed the recommended patches, but AH still freaks out when I run it in native XP mode.  I've been running it just fine in Windows 95 compat mode for the last year and a half, but for whatever dumb reason no matter what I've tried I just can't get it working correctly in the native multi-core-using mode.

I've got an AthlonX2 4400, and I use a Geforce 8800gtx graphics card running at 1920x1200 on my 24" lcd.  Mind, this is almost always sufficient, with my framerate usually pegged at 60fps (I've got it set to 60 fps because that's what my lcd screen updates at), but I've had situations with massive numbers of planes within visual range where I dropped down into framerates low enough to be a distraction.  Not very often, but it has happened.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »
   Just for kicks I decided to try AMD Optimizer on Vista.  So far so good.  My frame rate has increased considerably, and the time it takes to draw the maps have been cut as well.  I used to have to fly in short vis. mode, but now I can use full vis. and maintain 45fps, which is where I have the cap set to.  I also was able to bump my graphics up from 256 to 512.  I fly Flight Sim X too, and my fps jumped from 15 fps to 24 fps.  I have that capped at 24fps and it holds very steady.
   I'm using compatibilty mode '2000'.  Been playing for about 12 hours total with this setting, and no issues as of yet.  If I have any trouble with AMD Optimizer I will post back here.

System:
Acer Aspire E-380
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Proc. 4400+  2.30 GHz
RAM 2.00 GB
System Type 32 Bit
GeForce 6150 SE  nforce 430.0

:salute 100Coogn

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
Well....
I am newly upgraded to a AM2 4600 Dual Core and trying to sort through "issues".
Running Windows XP Home Edition
XFX PCIe 7300 Nvidia 512MB
2 GB Ram
SoundBlaster Live

I'm not getting a spinning clip board but I am getting a lot of system lockups.

Did the optimizer... and last night had a black screen lockup.  MS tried to do the error reporting and unfortunately I couldn't copy down the details.  The following is what displayed on a pre-optimizer lock up.

szAppName : aceshigh.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : hungapp

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\Kevin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe3b7.dir00\aceshigh.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Kevin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe3b7.dir00\appcompat.txt

I've not tried the Win 98 Compat idea yet.

Skuzzy... interested in sorting through this with you.  Let me know what information I need to send to you?

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2008, 12:42:53 AM »
heya Soup,
you need to do both patches

the AMD dual core optimizer patch and the MS WinXP hotfix patch..........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »
TC,

Thanks,

I have SVC Pack 3 so I think the hotfix is already included in that?  no ?

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2008, 08:54:12 PM »
TC,

Thanks,

I have SVC Pack 3 so I think the hotfix is already included in that?  no ?

not that I am sure of, Soup

Skuzzy posted this i the Technical Support Forum:
AMD DUAL CORE CPU's and the AMD OPTIMIZER PATCH (the easier way)

******NOTE:  If you opted to follow the preceeding instructions, then you DO NOT need to do the following.******

There is a problem with dual core AMD CPU's in Windows XP Home and Professional which causes several problems in the game.
These issues do not appear to be a problem with Windows 2000.  Only Windos XP.

To work around the problem, do this.

1. Right-click on the Aces High II startup ICON.
2. Select "Properties" from the popup menu.
3. Select the "Compatibility" tab.
4. Check the check box to run the game in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode.

Or, you can download a patch from AMD which addresses this, and several other, issues related to dual core CPU's.  Follow this link to obtain the patch.

Depending on what version of Windows XP you have, you may still need this patch.  (for Intel or AMD CPUs) Check to see if the mandatory Windows XP Hotfix Patch: KB896256 (NOT automatically downloaded with Windows Update) is installed.  You do this by going to the "Add/Remove Programs" ICON in the Control Panel and review the list of installed software.
If the patch is not listed as being installed, then download KB896256 XP patch and install it.

KB896256 XP patch
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2AB5A48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

after I installed a new XP pro install and SP3 I still had to download both patches and install to get my X2 6400 to work right

good luck
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:58:01 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2008, 09:04:11 PM »
TC,

Thanks... tried the windows hotfix... but it told me that the SVC Pack version I had was newer and there was no need to install this patch.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »
TC,

Thanks... tried the windows hotfix... but it told me that the SVC Pack version I had was newer and there was no need to install this patch.

Good to hear, I Think, if all is working well for you, then you should be good to go........if you are still having problems....go to add/remove programs and at the top click on/mark the check box to "show All Updates".....then verify that the: KB896256 XP patch  is indeed installed..........

but sounds like you got it all under control......

look forward to flying a few sorties with you or against ya in the near future   

:salute    Soup