Author Topic: lieutenant Watada Charged  (Read 509 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
lieutenant Watada Charged
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:42:25 PM »
Heres an update on Watada, the Army Officer who refused to leave for Iraq with his unit.  He is also charged for speaking with contempt against the President (a no-no in the armed forces, apparently) and for conduct unbecoming an officer.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=watadacharged6m&date=20060706&query=watada
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:35 PM »
good for him!!!  funny how his lawyer states that his comments are covered under the first amendment... must be a civilian lawyer. ha ha... one must understand that once you sign the contract your rights are a tad more strict than your everyday billybob on the street.. i hope that he gets all 7 of those years.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »
Quote from Jarhead (The Book) :  

"''You signed the contract (key point). You have no rights, you can't speak out against your country.''

Cut and dry - enjoy Leavenworth.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 06:51:40 PM »
Actually it's officers and officers alone that cannot speak with contempt towards the president.  

I was in during the Clinton years and many officers where pissed that the commander in chief (whom they disliked to begin with) committed purgery and spoke out about it.  More than a few where repremanded for it.  Officers are held to a higher standard as far as what the say and how they act.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »
He screwed up by the numbers and got a civilian lawyer who didn't know enough to tell him to keep his freaking big mouth shut. A Military lawyer would have told him what kind if sheite storm he was opening up as soon as he decided to have a press conference. Stupid stupid move there to try and have a "trial" by media. He won't be getting a civilian jury he could try to sway with the poor pitiful me sob story, he'll be getting a military jury in his Court Marshall. I hope he figures on not having to look for work for several years. Perhaps we could arrange for him to serve his jail time in iraq.

He was supposed to be an adult when he took his oath of office, he'd better be ready to be adult about his hard time in Leavenworth.

The one good thing about it is I'd bet his platoon is real happy not to have to put up with him overseas.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Actually it's officers and officers alone that cannot speak with contempt towards the president.  

I was in during the Clinton years and many officers where pissed that the commander in chief (whom they disliked to begin with) committed purgery and spoke out about it.  More than a few where repremanded for it.  Officers are held to a higher standard as far as what the say and how they act.

Its kinda ironic...Officers can be bounced from the service for adultery...yet the President does it and the press tries to portray it as no big deal.  A personal opps.   :furious

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Its kinda ironic...Officers can be bounced from the service for adultery...yet the President does it and the press tries to portray it as no big deal.  A personal opps.   :furious

That's basically what they where pissed about.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »
That and if you commit perjury it's a felony. That would be finis to a military career. A felon couldn't keep a security clearance and a secret clearance in the minimum for a senior Officer. After all there are standards that must be upheld in the military.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 11:16:09 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul

As President Johnson once said, "What's the use of being President if you can't get a little piece of ass."

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 09:10:04 AM »
So why not give him a dishonorable discharge and be done with him? This guy will do time and a child molester registers on a database and walks the street, wtf?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 09:17:09 AM »
Because if they let him go then they would be saying to all future cowards you really don't have to go to war if you don't want to.

And the consequences are squat.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 02:10:47 PM »
If he is found guilty by the Court Marshall he will get a dishonorable discharge automatically. They'll give it to him as he leaves Leavenworth as he will still be in the military until the sentence is fully served.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 06:11:21 PM »
His civilian lawyer has 40 years of experience trying military cases, so I suspect he isn't as clueless as you folks make him out to be.

1Lt. Watada's claim is the same as in the Hamdan v. Rumsfeld case, where the Supreme Court ruled two weeks ago that the adminstration has violated The Constitution and the War Powers Act.

In the court-martial of Petty Officer Paredes, he was found guilty, but received no jail time and little more than a rap on the knuckles with the military judge saying, "Any seaman recruit has a reasonable cause to believe that the wars in Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq were illegal."

It should be an interesting case, but the final outcome may not be so cut and dry.