Author Topic: You never know who's coming to dinner...  (Read 186 times)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
You never know who's coming to dinner...
« on: November 07, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
Well, actually we went out to dinner but still...

A friend and I went to a restaurant here in town called Hopkin's House.  It's in an old house, and it's like going over to grandma's for a huge family dinner.  You sit with the other patrons of the restaurant, and the servers put down big bowls of good ol' country food (fried chicken, turnip greens, blackeyed peas, etc) and you pass it around, get what you want, and eat all you want.  Anyways, me and my friend sit down with an elderly couple and two other people.  The elderly wife asks if we're going to the Blue Angels show on Saturday, we answer no (they scheduled it on an FSU home game weekend, AGAIN.)  Anyways, the guy sitting next to me is going to the game too, and we talk about that, while the others keep talking about the show.  I'm not really paying attention to the show talk until the elderly guy gets asked if he was an aviator and he said "Yes, I was in the US Army Air Force."  Immediately, I ignore the guy next to me and ask "What did you fly?"  "B-24's in the big one, 29 missions."  I couldn't believe it!  I was eating dinner with a WWII bomber pilot!  I tell him I'm a WWII flight enthusiast and that I play simulations online.  No B-24s, but we do have the B-26 and he said he's flown a couple of those as well.  I didn't get to talk to him much about it, as my friend and I were about done, and other people were waiting to get in to eat.  It made the whole evening a real treat for me, and it was an honor to eat dinner with someone that defended all of our freedoms some 60 years ago.  

Just goes to show you that you never know who you're sitting next to.   :)

I hear the 4 o'clock whistle blowing...  I'm outta here!   :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.