Author Topic: Help pick my next controller!  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Good

• Zinc Member
Help pick my next controller!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »
Thanks again for all the advice. It was close, but I finally decided on the x-52. I went to Best Buy so I could get the extended warranty (and also instant gratification). A few Best Buy half spent gift cards lying around helped swing the decision.

I figure I can add CH pedals down the line if I get the urge and maybe upgrade to everything CH in the future if I don't like it.

Now all I have to do is to figure out what to map where. Geeze there are a lot of buttons on this thing!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 10:44:19 AM »
A lot of buttons and burn-out-your-retina LEDs unless you turn them down on the controller properties... :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Good

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »
The light . . . so bright  . . . .

Whew! You weren't kidding. I think I felt my power bill go up.

Seriously though, I really am at a loss as to what I should assign to all these things.

Anybody care to share their x-52 setups?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 04:18:42 PM »
http://www.shelteringwings.com/saitekx52flightcontroller.jsm

:aok (It's an Aces High setting file; I don't use the SST)
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 03:38:20 AM »
Originally posted by Good
The light . . . so bright  . . . .

Whew! You weren't kidding. I think I felt my power bill go up.

Seriously though, I really am at a loss as to what I should assign to all these things.

Anybody care to share their x-52 setups?

Map the basics you NEED. Look up, Fire Buttons, Mic, Flaps, (combat trim), WEP - get used to those. Then add functions and assignments as you need them... thats how I did it with my X45... worked like a charm.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline PuckIt

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dfa-squad.org
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »
Im gonna jump in here with out adding a new topic. I have an X45... well kinda. Its the stick (Namco Flight Stick 2) that was sold for the PS2's Ace Combat 5. Drivers = nightmare, but I got it to work in the end.

Moving on.. I love the X45's, but hate the spring.

I understand that the x52 does not have the rudder on the throtle. This is the only problem that I see for me. I have a Top Gun somthing or other thats a twisty. When I flew with the twisty I noticed that I was mixing unwanted rudder inputs in flight. I love using the rudder when needed, but dog tailing because of a heavy hand kinda blows. Do you guys have this problem with the 52? I know I could get ped's, but I dont see that in the near future. Comments on the twisty please. I added a pic of the Namco for the curious.

Puckit

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »
Originally posted by PuckIt
I understand that the x52 does not have the rudder on the throtle. This is the only problem that I see for me. I have a Top Gun somthing or other thats a twisty. When I flew with the twisty I noticed that I was mixing unwanted rudder inputs in flight. I love using the rudder when needed, but dog tailing because of a heavy hand kinda blows. Do you guys have this problem with the 52? I know I could get ped's, but I dont see that in the near future. Comments on the twisty please.

The X52 does have a twitsty rudder, and I do notice very small inputs every now and then in the heat of battle, but not to the point of ruining it. Also, if you do get pedals in the future (check out the Saitek pedals...supposedly cheaper. I haven't even looked) there's a small tab you can pull out to lock the twisty rudder from moving.

Offline PuckIt

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 04:00:29 PM »
Thanks OOZ662 the disable twisty brings up my last question. Does anyone know if the x45 throtle will work with the 52. Probably not is my quess. I would assume driver issues if it even pluged in.

PuckIt

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 04:11:24 PM »
Hrm... the tab just keeps the stick from twisting, if it's anything like several other sticks that have "twist locks". That doesn't disable the actual axis itself, nor does it stop spiking (had a wingman, even when LOCKED it was a POS, would get rudder spikes -- I had to deadband the entire band to get rid of it) on certain sticks.

I'm guessing you would run into a conflict, if the rudder axis shows up twice on the hardware.

I'm speculating, mind you. I dont' know. If the axis on the stick is present and the axis on the throttle is too, you could have 1 of 4 things

1) The stick blows up
2) Neither rudder axis works
3) The stick axis takes precedence over the throttle
4) The throttle axis takes precedence over the stick

That is, of course, assuming the plug even fits

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »
When I flew with the twisty I noticed that I was mixing unwanted rudder inputs in flight. I love using the rudder when needed, but dog tailing because of a heavy hand kinda blows.

Turn your joystick to a 45 deg angle to yourself and when you finally get a good fit like that , take a pencil and mark around it so that you can put it back JUST LIKE THAT every time you fly . This helps alot . Also to shoot a little better , having a elbow rest is important .

If the hats would last longer , Saitek would be a good buy but they don't for me and many others . Gets to be a pita to warr. them out , better CH they LAST :)

cheers
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline PuckIt

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 04:27:59 PM »
I agree Krusty. Its to questionable at this point. I dont think I will go near this one unless its been proven to work.

I may just need to train my hand to a twisty. (no need for any humor here Ive already thought of all possible replys). :rofl

I do fly at the 45 your talking about and it does help.

PuckIt

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2006, 04:37:20 PM »
The X45 uses a serial-like connector to connect to the two units; the X52 uses a P/S-2 type connector between the two. So no, they won't connect.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 05:32:48 PM »
Since begining of my AH 'career' I have been flying with Saitek X36. First with gameport version, which was horrible and the major of time with usb version, which was great.

Now with CH fighter stick, Saitek X35T throttle and Logitech pedals(brake/gas).

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »
Puck it, there's some problems with cheap sticks.

My wingman, for example, would spike all 4 axis if any 1 axis moved. it also had an unsteady center. If I moved left, it would spike rudder and throttle, for example. that was a TRUE POS.

However, having been flying on a MS stick for a while, I can say that twisty stick, while without the superb control of rudder pedals, can more than ge the job done. As with any new interface you may have to train yourself to get used to it, but you won't even think about it in time. You have to scale the axis how you like, though. I have mine in an geometric curve, where for the first 30% you get very little movement with the control (this allows for fine tuning) and then medium around the middle, and max deflection at the edges. It's not perfect. It doesn't help in all situations, but I've found it works for me.

Same applies to everybody and every stick. Just find what works, and once it works, stop fiddlin' with it :aok

Offline PuckIt

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 06:48:43 PM »
Krusty, Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking just what you said about tuning in the rudder so my heavy hand would have to move more than just a little to get any real movement. Like you said is so many words "Just get used to it". You are right if I make the switch I may like it once I get it down. Anyway thanks for the input.

PuckIt