Author Topic: F4U-1 White 7, Daphne 'C'  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U-1 White 7, Daphne 'C'
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 09:27:55 AM »
Pics I have shows it on both.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 09:38:23 AM »
I would definitely try to find real wartime photos of that setup, as it breaks pretty much every rule for Corsair paintjobs. If (for example) you just have a color profile of it, I'd not trust that until I found more evidence that it was correct.

It does look different, though :aok

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 10:21:28 AM »
I think there's a picture of this plane in the Corsair book, but I don't think it shows both sides.  I have seen pictures of another Corsair with the nose art on the right side, though--the one with the pair of dice on it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:29 AM »
Unfortunately, Yahoo isn't much help in that regard. I mostly get decal sheets and those die-cast replicas (one sheet has photos of the real bird being towed away after she wrecked while landing, but they're not very useful). I DID hit on the site of a kit someone built that had the same gray outer wings and nose art on both sides. Its underwing roundel had the bars, tho, but otherwise more or less identical to what I did here.

No new pics, but a couple updates:

Turned the pinup around on the starboard side so she faces aft, per the above mentioned kit.

Raised the demarcation line between the two camoflage colors along the sides slightly.

Added the treadways along the upper wing surfaces. If I can get pics of Daphne C/White 13 that show them I'll add them both there, too.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
Sounds kind of sketchy. Might want to keep looking. At least get several models, built by different folks, or several decal sheets (I personally feel a decal sheet is a better reference than a built model) from different places, that all support each other.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 11:51:18 AM »
Well, problem is NONE of the kits or decal sheets support each other. One sheet has two pinups facing the same way while another has them facing opposite directions, and at least one sheet only has a single pinup. Some paint charts show the plane with a blue tail, others show gray. Same with the under-wing surfaces. Now this may simply be a matter of all these different decal sheets and paintingreferences reflecting the aircraft at different times before she was wrecked, or two different aircraft ENTIERLY that carried the same markings. It could also mean there ARE no other photograph references so EVERYONE is guessing.

For that matter, I can't even get a consensus on what SQUADRON the plane OFFICIALLY belonged in as of Dec of 1943. Some place her with VMF-214, some with VMF-222.

I guess the only way to be 100% sure would be to send the screen caps to Olander himself.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:56:33 AM by Saxman »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 12:46:40 PM »
In this case, if you can't even get 2 pieces of info that tell you the same thing, I don't think you can really create the skin for it. You need to be able to defend to HTC that this aircraft actually existed. As-is, you have no idea if this plane existed, or if it was the plane with the blue tail, or if it was the plane in the different squadron, etc.

You need to defend it against scrutiny, basically.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 02:07:40 PM »
Oh, I know the plane itself DID exist. I even have the Navy BuNo: 02576. And like I said, I HAVE seen one war-time photo. Unfortunately, it's onyl from the port side as a crane is lifting it out of the mud. You can only see the dorsal surface of the wings, and the vertical stab had been torn off during the wreck. You CAN see the "Marine's Dream" pinup quite clearly on the port cowl, though.

The discrepency is in the squadron information, the noseart placement, the vertical stab and lower outer wing panels (I'll probably use the star w/bars on the lower wing, as that's what most images show).

As far as the squadron, I'm seriously leaning towards VMF-214. There are dissenting sources, but the majority indicate Swashbucklers/Black Sheep.

Incidentally, I did some research on the Corgi die-cast miniatures, and the general impression I get is that they ARE pretty careful in their research.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:10:15 PM by Saxman »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »
If you've got the Bu No and all that, that's great! I was rather worried that HTC wouldn't accept it :)

Corgi might think they are careful in their research, or they might just be blowing propoganda. Regardless of what they say, the end result is that 99% of all their LW planes are inaccurate in major ways. Sometimes thecolors are off. Sometimes the entire camoflauge scheme is wrong.

US schemes are more simplistic (OD upper, BMF under) but I bet if you compared camo patterns (Gabby's Jug) you'd find some errors.

I've noticed that they're not the best with detail markings (i.e. wingtips, cowling rings, whatever)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
Their colors ARE somewhat off. Their Daphne 'C' and Marine's Dream are more gray on top than blue. However I think as far as actual insignia they're pretty good (at least, their Daphne was pretty close to my reference pic, right down to the blanked-out 13 under the canopy rail.

Incidentally, is there a site out there where you can plug in the BuNo and get the OFFICIAL Navy writeup on the bird? I've gotten lists searching on Yahoo by both Daphne/White 13's and Marine's Dream's BuNos, but once again 02576 is variously attributed to VMF-214 and 222 at the time she was wrecked.

Some minor details on the skin:

Changed the roundel on the lower wing to the version with bars. If I ever get a pic that shows the aircraft at this point still indeed carried the plain roundel on the lower wing I'll put it back that way (pretty easily done). Also, after studying AeroMaster and other decal/paint charts, what written information I could find, and pics of various models people have done, I've added a patch of lighter blue under part of the fuselage number where an old number had been blanked out.

Incidentally, there's another "Marine's Dream" out there I've seen both as a kit and a real aircraft (this particular plane comes up in the majority of search responses). Oddly, it's an FG-1D in tri-color with the late-43/early-44 red-bordered roundels attributed to Ken Walsh (including his #13).

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 02:50:47 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
is there a site out there where you can plug in the BuNo and get the OFFICIAL Navy writeup on the bird?

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm 80% sure there is no such place. I'm possitive that somebody would have posted a link a million times by now, were such a place around.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 02:53:02 PM »
Hm. This sounds like a question for Widewing or DOA. If anything I'm sure ONE of them probably has those Corsair BuNo's memorized.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 03:06:28 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
I'm sure ONE of them probably has those Corsair BuNo's memorized.

:rofl

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »
At it again. "Ramblin' Wreck" of VMF-121. Got her from an AeroMaster decal sheet I saw online, which has a BuNo on one of the decals, but it's too small for me to read the screenshot. If anyone's familiar with the set or these markings I'd appreciate the BuNo for the tail.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
looks good nice colors

is that greebo's template?
was noting the nice skin stress effects.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013