Author Topic: Anybody got a Conroe yet?  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Anybody got a Conroe yet?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
I will never own a copy of Vista and it will never find a home on any of my computers, I do not care how many programs are *Vista* only.  It just means I will not buy them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2006, 12:05:36 AM »
Never say never. You guys are funny!:rofl :D

Btw I propably go to vista as soon as it comes.:t
I am a spy!

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2006, 12:40:06 AM »
Originally posted by mipoikel

which verson ??? there going to have 8+ different versons ... (duh M$ cant make  just one verson compatable with all pc's )

Oh yea we're already Catching Virous's in Vista ... there was two major SP's added in the last couple of weeks .... looks like the Bug Writers are winning ... The AV programs arnt even close to being caught up for this either .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2006, 06:52:25 AM »
Originally posted by mipoikel

My condolences.  I just do not feel like adding 2 more gig or RAM to my computer just to run another operating system, which does absolutely nothing more for me than XP does.

Basically, there is no point in it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2006, 07:52:22 AM »
So  is the damn thing fast or what here??

And btw, I always have a supply of Huggies Baby wipes on hand in the heads at both work and home. I highly recomend this for situations you were having with your bowels and what have you. They pay for themselves 10 times over when you have "one of them" that the only way out is to go get hosed down. Some will laugh and mock for using baby wipes. But you will be the one with fresh backside ready for the day while they stew in their not so fresh bottom regions. Just some helpful  advice in times of need.:aok

p.s.  try the Shea butter Huggies. Instant good mood:aok

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2006, 08:15:08 AM »
While not the insanity Skuzzy got, I just got the Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor. It's the lowest end one but it's still real nice. Very fast for me. Had a Pentium 4 3.0GHZ on my old PC and this puts it to shame. Only problem is limited mobo choices and some very minor unstability when you overclock it. If you don't overclock to much it's fine. I had mine up to 2.5 and it was kinda rough but at 2.2 it runs as smoothly as 1.86. I'm very happy with it. Also if you followed my drama in other threads my 1st pentium was a 2.66 pentium D. When I had AH on it I got about 50FPS, with this guy I'm at a rock steady 80:eek:
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2006, 09:07:58 AM »
Well, I really have not given AH a good going over on it yet.  I have a ton of other things I do with my home computer.

I am big into POVRay and do a lot of artwork using it.  I had a drawing which took my old computer 9 days to render.  This one did it in less than 2 days.  

Is it fast?  Oh yeah.  Video encoding and POVRay stuff hauls tushy.  Program compiles are spooky fast as well.  Maya is also significantly smoother.  I use it for the drawings, then pass off the files to POVRay for rendering.

Audio encoding/mixing is incredible.  A lot of disk I/O involved with it, but the Seagate VR (vertical recording) drives running SATA 3.0 cut through that amazingly quick.

I figure you guys would not really care about stuff like that.

I am not going to even try to overclock it.  I figure there would only be minimal gain and the risk to the current stability is not worth it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »
Actually I was going to ask about 3D render times but didn't know you were into it! I do some 3D also and the compile times were what killed me (I didn't even do high-end details, mostly short animation stuff).

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2006, 10:19:53 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I am not going to even try to overclock it.  I figure there would only be minimal gain and the risk to the current stability is not worth it.

I'd agree with this also. Like I said I'm running at about 2.2 up from 1.86 but I just have my ASUS control set to auto overclock and that's where it's putting it. For what I do(gaming) I really can't notice any difference between the 2.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 05:10:40 AM »
Skuzzy,

Out of curiosity, do you have a simple setup and script I could use to run the same render you do and get a little comparo on the speed?  I'm running an X2 4400.

I haven't used povray for a while though, so I'd need instructions on how to get a run that can be compared.  For example, how do you set it up to use both cores?

Anyhow, let me know if that's something you could send me so I could make a comparo run.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 10:46:29 AM »
It did not occur to me to keep the original file eagl.  I have since been adding more detail to the drawing.  Not real big on handing out my source files for my drawings.

Tell you what.  Let me do something I do not care about and post it.  The POYRay ini file will need to be altered as I render in 4800x2700 with some other options enabled.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2006, 04:13:47 AM »
Ok.  Just let me know what version of povray to install, how to mod any config files, and how to run it in the right mode to get a consistent render time out of it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2006, 10:37:17 AM »
Gimme a few days to put together a drawing.

I think I am using the 3.6 version of POVRay.  I'll check when I get home.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »
By the way, POVRay is still single-threaded.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »
Single threaded... yuk.  Seems it would be ideal for multi-threading.  Of course, pov-ray is so configurable it seems like it should be easy to run two instances, split the image in half, and combine them after rendering.  I know there are distributed rendering projects out there, usually used to split rendering among multiple computers, and those should apply fairly well to multi-cpu systems.  Yea it would probably lose some efficiency but it should work better than single thread single core...