Author Topic: Anybody got a Conroe yet?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Anybody got a Conroe yet?
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2006, 10:20:58 PM »
I actually give a rat's tushy about multi-threading.  The most performance gain you can get out of it only amounts to about 10%.  Does not justify the cost of the CPU, but it is nice marketing tool.
Of course, if you run little bitty applications (hehe,...right), then you could get better performance gains, but everythin related to Windows is not getting smaller.  Quite the opposite.  And as everything grows in size, the performance gains for a mutlti CPU system will diminish.

I am working on this new file.  Coming along nicely.  Probably about half way done.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2006, 07:55:52 PM »
Skuzzy. What Mobo did you go with?

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2006, 07:58:26 PM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
Skuzzy. What Mobo did you go with?

Originally posted by Skuzzy
Here is the parts list:
Motherboard: ASUS P5WDG2-WS
CPU: Intel X6800 Extreme
RAM: 2GB of PC6400 DDR2-800 Crucial RAM
Video Card: HIS Radeon X1900XTX 512MB
:D
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2006, 09:56:03 PM »
Dang...missed that Superdud...thanks

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »
Please if you could . What size PS do you run with that ?
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2006, 05:42:19 PM »
2GB ram? X1900? E6400? I'd say you want at least a 450W PSU. It wouldn't hurt to have 550W or more though.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2006, 04:55:46 AM »
My 3 year old PC died a week or so ago with terminal HDD failure. I was going to upgrade it in January anyway so I decided to do it now, rather than install everything twice.

I got an E6600 with an Asus P5W64-WS Pro motherboard and 2GB PC6400 ram. Went for a 8800GTX video card which just squeezed into my Antec Sonata case with 5mm to spare. I also got a Seasonic 700W modular PSU and a Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU cooler.

At 1600 by 1200 res it runs AH at 85fps with all the sliders at maximum detail and animated water on. It runs pretty cool and is dead quiet so I could overclock it. However as its already maxed out to the monitor's refresh rate, I don't see the point.

Comparing the 8800GTX to my old ATI card, my initial impression was that it seemed a little less sharp in 2d, like it was very slightly out of focus. It is a very minor difference and I don't really notice it now.

AH has hanged once though. The screen went completely white except for the MS program crash window. I'm guessing its the 8800's drivers, they are a bit buggy from what I've read. By all accounts later drivers don't seem much better, so I'm going to wait until a mature set comes out then upgrade them.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2006, 05:30:51 AM »
I've been impressed with the seasonic PSUs.  I just got a 600w modular seasonic psu based on internet reviews and the quiet performance from a 430w seasonic psu I already own.

Looking at the price/watt for decent PSUs, if you're gonna build a premium system you might as well go for at least 600w.  You're only talking $10-$20 to go from 500ish to 600-700w.  The PSUs greater than 700w start getting really expensive (over $200) so if you've already decided to skip the $50 brands, get a nice 600w or larger one.  Seasonics are quiet and have a good rep but they're not the only good brand out there.  I've heard numerous horror stories about antec power supplies recently, and I think my current thermaltake PSU isn't all that good, so I bought the 600w seasonic to replace it.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2006, 03:04:42 PM »
Thanks guys :aok

I got the  Krusty bug I guess . I been saving for 3 months now but still short to build one yet . They sure do cost alot more than 2.5 years ago . I think our money is devalued overseas atm causing this .

Hope this is enough infor for you Krusty

I got a modem and a sound card that I want to transfer to the new box , both pci .

I been looking at

E6600
Nivdia 7950GT
Corsiar memory > to fit the MB off their web site > 2 gig PC6400

At a loss yet what MB to get , last two were Gigabyte boards , they worked for me fine . But reading on the Newegg web site seems they might have more problems now than before .

Greebo that looks like a very nice pc you built .  I looked at that MB also , omg 227 USDs atm , Ekk :)

Ya eagl , I read about Antec also , I think they moved offshore to another co making their product . Our Co. is doing that from China , the QC is not so hot . They have nothing but good things to say about the seasonic PSU .  

I am wondering how much the prices might drop after the hoidays ?

Anyway I am slowly searching and learning more to figure out what to get .

Donno what to get for HD , my current is a Western Digtal , only 40g as I don't but play AH anyway , 7200 rpm etc .

Lots more to learn  

:eek:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:07:54 PM by airspro »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2006, 07:41:23 AM »
I agree that motherboard is expensive. I picked it because various sites rated it as good for overclocking but as I'm not doing that at the moment, it was probably a waste of money. Still, I've got something in reserve if some demanding game comes along I want to play. The other option was an Nvidia 680i based board, but they were out of stock everywhere at the time and I'm not intending to go SLI on the video card.

I like the idea of the Seasonic's second fan coming on only when it gets hot and 700W gives me a bit of headroom. Reliability can suffer if you run a PSU near its maximum rating all the time. The modular cables are really handy too, makes it a lot easier to get good airflow in the case.

Prices are bound to drop in the new year, which is why I was originally going to upgrade then. There are also new top end motherboards and video cards coming out which should foster some competition.

I've gone for WD drives on my new setup, they seem a little bit noisier than the Seagates I was using, although that may be because the rest of the system is quieter. I read somewhere WD drives were more reliable than the Seagates. Performance is pretty similar on most drives unless you go for the pricey WD 10K RPM Raptor. More onboard cache is about the only difference otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:49:46 AM by Greebo »

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2006, 08:20:55 AM »
I just installed my new seasonic modular 600w.  I'm using only 3 of the power cables and it's really quiet.  I loaded my computer 100% on both cpu cores, loaded the memory, and ran a graphics test utilility for 2 hours, and the second PSU fan never kicked on.  I guess the rest of my system has enough airflow and I'm not stressing the PSU very much.

My mobo is reporting 12.65v on the 12v rail and 3.15 on the 3.3v rail which seems a bit farther off than I expected, but it doesn't fluctuate much so it could just be bad values coming from the mobo.  I'll just have to see if the new psu helps my system stability like I hope it will.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »
I am gonna try and get another year or 8 months out of my PC by buying this

7600GT AGP

I know it's over 100 bucks  Krusty :( but I was weak . I did sell my Nivida 6600 AGP so not a total loss .

AND the good thing , I used the money I had saved to pay off my car so it's all good in the long run . AH runing pretty good atm but down low and in the trees it slows down so I "think" that this should fix it for awhile .

Gonna be looking and saving posts of all the hardware specs to get my new system later . I gonna get that seasonic PSU also when it's time .

thanks for info , really helped me make my mind up
spro