Author Topic: Why not just make everything jets?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Why not just make everything jets?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 02:18:06 PM »
Join the ranks of the NPA Filth. :D

We're on a crusade to perk every late war aircraft at a light cost.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 02:48:02 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Because this game has more and more become a late 1945 sim

Has it really changed or was it not that way since a long time ago? I just looked up the stats for last Tour and one 3 years ago. The most used (defined by adding "kills in" and "deaths of") fighters were:

Plane            Kills+Deaths

Tour 78, Jul 2006
1. La-7         73870 9.37%  
2. Spitfire Mk XVI 68137 8.64%  
3. N1K2           64968 8.24%  
4. P-51D         51214 6.50%
5. Bf 110G-2     36544 4.64%
(...)
   Me 262                4426   0.56%
   P-40E                 3787   0.48%

Tour 42 Jul 2003
1. Spitfire Mk IX 91482 11.11%
2. P-51D           79555 9.66%
3. La-7             68813 8.35%
4. N1K2           64117 7.78%
5. P-38L           42428 5.15%
(...)
   Me 262                5123   0.62%
   P-40E                 3057   0.37%

The late war rides like P51, N1K, La7 were about as popular as they are today. The Spit IX was the best "easy noob TnB" plane back in 2003 and was of course replaced in that role by the Spit 16 (which has no better K/D rate than the old Spit IX).
The one plane which has the biggest increase in usage is no late war top fighter but the midwar Bf110G, the "usage" numbers have approximately doubled. Maybe an indication of a  changed style of play (landgrab vs furball)  ?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Guyver

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 03:34:26 PM »
i love my spit 9. i hate the 16 cliped wing version. i never liked the look of it. spoils the beauty of the spit clipping its wings :cry

and yes i am a noob lol
Per Mare Per Terram

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 05:45:02 PM »
NINJAS!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 05:50:05 PM »
QUAH!!!
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
The one plane which has the biggest increase in usage is no late war top fighter but the midwar Bf110G, the "usage" numbers have approximately doubled. Maybe an indication of a  changed style of play (landgrab vs furball)  ?

Or the fact that it's gun package puts it in the first class of Ho-birds.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 11:12:22 PM »
Actually the rise of the 110G is an indicator on just how much the MA has turned into a lame horde arena.

Everyone on the map forms a horde. The three hordes for three countries avoid clashing with each other and goes after undefended fields and fronts. The airspace is clear of enemies, no defenders whatsoever, and the steamroller drives into enemylands.

Under these circumstances, which plane brings you most ordnance+strafing capabilites to finish off the unguarded towns at enemy fields?

You guessed it. The 110G-2.

It doesn't carry as much ordnance as the P-47 or the P-38, but it's got incredible guns and great maneuverability. For many people strafing buildings with guns is so much easier than picking out buildings one by one with individual rockets and bombs. Dump the bombs on town, and linger around the town at slow speeds, knocking down the remainder of buildings with the 20mm+30mm gun package. Since being inside a horde one rarely has to worry about defenders - in this case the 110G-2 is a far better logical choice for the hordemongers.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 12:00:23 AM »
I'd still agree with Detch...The only thing people do is dive in from alt, drop the ord, and then bend the plane around itself to meet the peeps on their six HO.  Even if you CAP a field properly, and try to drop in behind them, they just put on the gas, clean off the ords, and go HO.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »
MARS NEEDS WOMEN!!!!11!

Hey Now LOL I gots me a woeman her name is Pitts :D

At least that is what my girl friend would tell you, she was all pissed I spent the whole weekend at the airport LOL.  There was no way I was going to get some time loggin in and feeling Filth's pain.

All I can tell you Filth and I know you already know it bud, fly the low and slow planes and make the maroons dive on ya then kill em.  These Bore N zoomers horde monkeys aren't that good anyway LOL.  But yeah it does get old after a while, whishing they would just learn to fight and put up some decent fights.

Offline Eagle Eye

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »
I want a SR-71 BLACKBIRD.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 06:14:21 PM »
Originally posted by Eagle Eye
I want a SR-71 BLACKBIRD.

Fly the AR234, at least it has guns  =)

Offline drkorf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 06:46:20 PM »
Originally posted by Guyver
i love my spit 9. i hate the 16 cliped wing version. i never liked the look of it. spoils the beauty of the spit clipping its wings :cry

and yes i am a noob lol

Count me as another noob who loves the Spit IX. Aesthetically, I prefer it to all the others. Clipped wings and Griffon engine bulges are ugly. I know most everyone is flying the 1945 planes, but I don't see any reason to follow suit. The 9 is good enough. When I die, it's usually because I made a bad decision. The plane hardly matters in that case.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 06:25:18 PM »
LOL we all usually die from a bad decision :)

I just wish hitech would change the AvA into an all planes arena, but do it in stages, matching the planes up.  I think it would get alot more usage. If not that, than make the backup arena useful and make it an all planes matched arena.

Even make it harder some how. How I feel right now is why I left the relax realism arena in AW and went to the full realism arena. (Alot less realism than we have here..but more challenging than RR was)

I dont fly for score, but I like good fights. Taking a P40E into a 3 on 1 vs planes somewhat matched to it is better than doing the same against Spit16s, La7 and a Nik. I know the people will do what people do and you cant change it. But you can change what is available to them..if only in one arena.

I like the AvA, but it could use a facelift.

~AoM~

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »
I just posted this in another thread:

Spit V: 6478 produced
Spit VIII: 1652 produced
Spit IX: 7180 produced
Spit XIV: 957 produced
Spit XVI: 1054 produced
most other variants are in the hundreds
http://www.spitfiresociety.demon.co.uk/whatmark.htm

Yak1: 8721 produced
Yak7: 6399 produced
Yak9: 14579 produced (during the war)
"From mid-1944 onwards the Yak-9 was the numerically most important Soviet fighter."
Mig1 & Mig3: 3422 produced
LA7: 5753 produced
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic...rce/sov_mil.txt

These aren't 'official' sources, but they aren't too bad.

I don't see anything resembling the ratios of spits in the MA. The LA7 comes closer, but given the expanse of the Russian front I think it's safe to say that they would not have been encountered in such dense numbers as we see them in the MA. If anything we should be flooded with Yak9s and Spit9s.

Please perk these planes so we can still fly them and so that they won't be abused, as is currently the case.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »
drkorf,

Try the Mk VIII.  Merlin engine and full span wings with better performance than the Mk IX.

68Hawk,

Only about 300 Spitfire Mk IX's were powered by the Merlin 61 like in AH.  Most would have performed like the Mk VIII or Mk XVI in AH, depending on if the wings were clipped or not.  The Mk XVI is exactly the same as a Mk IXe.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-