Author Topic: Flight restrictions in UK and elsewhere  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Flight restrictions in UK and elsewhere
« on: August 11, 2006, 09:16:32 AM »
Since the other thread is focusing on the attack itself, I thought I might start a second thread for talking about the efficacy of the new restrictions that are being implemented in response to the UK bomb scare.

1. All carry on luggage in the UK is now prohibited.
2  All liquids are banned in the US.
3. Canada announced this morning that they are preparing to follow the UK's lead.
4. Secondary security screens in the US are being rolled out, so you'll be searched at the checkpoint and while boarding.The UK ban covers just about everything.  Books, iPods, laptops, all verbotten.  If you want to bring baby food because you're travelling w/ a newborn,  they'll have you open it and taste it at security.

Conversation points to get started:
1. How effective is this, really?  I assert that this offers no real extra security but rewards the terrorists.
2. Is this a temporary measure, or will it become standard?
3. Will the UK's model be adopted here in the US, and if so, when?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »
Only the terrorists and the government are winning.   The real war is on the bill of rights... that inconvienent document.

lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 09:23:15 AM »
What lazs said.

I've traveled a lot after 9/11, and I only recently started bringing a carry-on bag. Not having one won't be a problem.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 09:37:08 AM »
I never bring a carry on bag, just a laptop case with my laptop, a couple books, a cd case with dvds, an extra battery and soda, and duty free liqour. I better be able to bring that on my flight back to the states.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
Originally posted by Pooh21
I never bring a carry on bag, just a laptop case with my laptop, a couple books, a cd case with dvds, an extra battery and soda, and duty free liqour. I better be able to bring that on my flight back to the states.

First TV Channel showed Russian passengers who managed to get to Msk from London (they needed assistance from Russian Embassy to get out of UK), and their biggest complain was that "they didn't allow us to take stuff bought in duty-free with us!!! They took it all away!!!". Everyone here understands that it's a real violation of human rights. :D

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 10:53:35 AM »
I was flying out of Austin yesterday. Flight was late enough to miss most of the early overreaction and confusion (my cabbie told me they were stopping cabs on the drive up to the terminal for searches and confiscating water bottles). Extra spot search while boarding.

I usually check baggage (easier to get around, often have several suits to pack, etc.), this was just a 2-day business casual trip so I actually carried on for a change. Doh! Decided to check for the return flight so I wouldn't lose my $10 in toiletries. No biggie. In fact, I think carry on is generally another bane to air travel, causing extra delays boarding and unboarding as people try to stuff all their oversized big bags of crap in the overhead bins. Net improvement for my flying experience with this (YMMV).

A three hour delay. Flying out of O'Hare that's typical -- whether it's a national security emergency or a raincloud sighted somewhere in Nothern Wisconsin or Western Iowa. I totally screwed myself though. All flights specifically to Chicago were under "special delay status" likely related to the local drizzle as well as the liquid bombing threat. Swapped flights to an earlier one, only to find my original one leaving an hour before the one I switched to -- ah well.

Flying sucks, BTW :)

Charon
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 10:59:07 AM by Charon »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 11:15:15 AM »
Been flying commercial for about 40 years, back then it was just boring, but over the years the security has become a pain in the butt, starting with the cuban hijackers.

Took a trip to Virginia from Pittsburgh 2 weeks ago to see my nephews new 36ft boat, i drove, much better, took longer but if you get hungry you can stop and get a good meal, see the scenery, talk to the truckers on CB, i went through Wash DC and looked at the monuments.

i will never fly again if i can help it.

PS, the food and drinks in the airports are way overpriced.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 11:49:17 AM »
Now that I've started the thread, I'll turn off my diplomatic tone.  These rules are asinine and just about guaranteed to kill the airlines.

Say, I wonder if this plot was paid for by the VLJ proponents....  :D
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:02:14 PM »
Unlike the restrictions placed after 9/11 (box cutters, scissors, knives, etc) that were later relaxed because of better screening and re-enforced cockpit doors, I don't really see how these "liquid" restrictions can ever be relaxed.

Unless someone comes up with a bio-scanner to detect liquid explosives, how can we ever let someone bring a container of liquid onto a plane again?  How can we ever neutralize this threat without banning the carry-on items?

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 12:10:11 PM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
Unlike the restrictions placed after 9/11 (box cutters, scissors, knives, etc) that were later relaxed because of better screening and re-enforced cockpit doors, I don't really see how these "liquid" restrictions can ever be relaxed.

This "bio-scanner" is called a dog.

Anyway, will they take away my bottle of Maalox on a long flight?... I always have some atacid with me, it's good that antacids are also produced in pills.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 12:34:46 PM »
As long as body cavities remain, er, 'unplugged', the "liquid threat" remains.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »
So far all I've seen is whining about how put out you all are.

So, what are your suggestions? Exactly what do you feel should be done about airport / aircraft security for commercial operations? Come on, lets see some suggestions instead of complaints. How are you "going to do it better"?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:21 PM »
Maverick, you're OK with books and music being forbidden?  I gather that by your use of the word 'whine'.

I'd say, and it's probably not popular, but I'd say "just deal with it."  Don't overreact, don't freak out about this stuff, just do your best without screwing up the very liberties we hold dear.

More people die on the road every day than died in the 9/11 attacks.  While absolutely terrible, what's even worse is how our rights have been systematically removed since.  The reaction has essentially handed pieces of victory to the folks attacking us.

How would I handle this threat?  Brief security on the threat and tell them to be vigilant.  Don't create 'zero tolerance' rules that hurt everyone and short circuit judgement, allow them to do their jobs.  Tell them about the liquid explosives threat so it's on their radar, arrest the folks MI5 & Scottland yard and whatnot have surveilled, and keep living life.  Huddling in a corner weeping is not the right answer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:47:56 PM by Chairboy »

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »
If you aren't taking any risks, you aren't living.  Sheeple don't seem to get that.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
This "bio-scanner" is called a dog.

forgive ignorance
is dog able to smell if you hide something in your ass?

i bet somone can smuggle on board chemicals hided inside him

Are watches banned too?

Damm you MacGyver!!