Author Topic: Your own .50 cal  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2001, 02:06:00 PM »
Ripsnort, Funked,

Yup, the "Left Wing" ATF arrived at this conclusion after going to gun shows and trying to buy .50 cal weapons using statements like:

"I need to take out a bullet proof limo.  Would this do the trick?"

And:

"If I shot a helicopter with one of these, would it take it down?"

In all cases the gun show sales person was very helpful in making sure that it was clear the .50 cal would do the trick and less than helpful in informing the police that a probably felonly was being planned.

I do, however, think that this is a case of individual stupidity on the part of those gun show sales persons, not an inherent problem with the guns.

Not that I can fathom why somebody would want a .50 cal weapon, but to each their own.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
So, you are basically saying that the left wing politicians are yet again going after the wrong person.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
Not that I can fathom why somebody would want a .50 cal weapon, but to each their own.

In case them thar uppity liberal demmycrats needs to be shooted!  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
Incidently, maybe the ATF is also asking the wrong questions, should they not be going to the Farmers Market and asking the clerk "If I buy 2 tons of this nitrogen 'for my farm'...and load it into a moving van, can I blow the face of a building off?"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »

Same 'feeling' one gets from driving a race car real fast, or skydiving, or any other adrenline sport...you go out and shoot a big gun, there's a nice little return one gets in  the form of adrenline rush.  Dunno why race car fans drive their limited Pro-stock cars, but they get the same effect.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
So, you are basically saying that the left wing politicians are yet again going after the wrong person.

Yup.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2001, 04:29:00 PM »
that would be great for the next time i run across an armor clad deer.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Unless you've fired something more accurate  

a .50 should be able to beat my STW for accuracy over 1k.  Some of these can't.  I've seen .50's that put them to shame... but they are all custom built (though similar in price).

Well, you gotta be a remington lover to shoot the shooting times westerner. But I imagine it is quite impressive. I got an old Model 70 in 30-06 that will shoot .5" groups at 100 yds with ammo I made for it. And the whole rig with Luepold was only $400, not counting the labor and materials I got in it.

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2001, 06:07:00 PM »
bah, paintball gun set on full CO2 power loaded with glass marbles (same size as paintballs).

You get.. oh.. about 200 shots of glass bullets. and yes, they DO break your skin, get into your intestines and BREAK up.

50 cal.. who needs that? puah!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »

Well, you gotta be a remington lover to shoot the shooting times westerner. But I imagine it is quite impressive.

Only if you go factory.  Virtually any real gunsmith can convert a 7mm magnum for you.

I got an old Model 70 in 30-06 that will shoot .5" groups at 100 yds with ammo I made for it.

Not bad for a 30/06.  I can do that with my AR-15 at 200 yards though  Its all in the scope and bench rest

And the whole rig with Luepold was only $400, not counting the labor and materials I got in it.

Ah... have about $900 into my 700.  It can do 1/2" groups at about 350 yards.  I haven't played much farther than that... and I'm not an awesome marksman.  I must admit... I woulda rather gone with a .308, but they are nearly impossible to find in anything but police special versions.

I think I'm going out the weekend after Memorial day weekend to shoot the STW and a friend's custom .50.  I'll post some pics of the rifles... by themselves... since I'm much too ugly to be seen in public

AKDejaVu

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2001, 10:52:00 PM »
Ahhh Guns!
My fav's
Home defense ... Remington Street sweeper with drum magazine ... 0 shot for use indoors ... 000 for clearing dense brush and trees
Hunting at a distance ... > 350 meters M14 less the muzzle break and the Nato ball round not the civilian round ... peep sight works just fine.
Brush hunting ... < 350 meters Henry "yellow boy" .357 ... buckhorn sights.
Sniper class ... Sharps .56 single shot ... magnum load with light, cored slug and a heck of a scope ... good for man sized targets at a mile or so.
Concealed weapon ... Walker colt long .45 ... just being somewhere to the front of the barrel when it goes off gives a person pause

------------------
OhNooo
smile awhile
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2001, 12:36:00 AM »
 Ive seen on TV long range competitions using 50 cal. Looks like a lot of fun. 3 things stopping me from trying it.

1 isnt a range around here more than 200 yards

2 Cost, those things are pricy and a 50cal round is huge, a pound of powder wouldnt go far  

3 This being Canada there is most likely a law against it.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2001, 01:07:00 AM »
Just love the scope on it - for those times when you require pin-point accuracy from your machine gun. Made me laugh...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2001, 02:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by mrfish:
that would be great for the next time i run across an armor clad deer.

exactly.. other than being fun to shoot (at 1 buck a shot) any of these huge assed caliber guns are useless...take any, and i mean any .270 rifle, even a .223 and they would make a better weapon.

i dunno, maybe im just silly, but i dont need a grenade to kill a gopher..much less a huge and slow caliber gun( that would have such barrel draw that you couldnt hit a bus at 5 yards) to kill any big game.

funked

Your own .50 cal
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2001, 03:16:00 AM »
Spatula they aren't machine guns.  They are for ultra-long range target shooting.  The USMC (and other branches I presume) use them to kill vehicles and bad guys from real far away.