Author Topic: If You Can't Win The Election...  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
If You Can't Win The Election...
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2000, 12:31:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nash:
Anyways, thanks for that link Toad. Couldn't find a whiff of Florida voting law in any of those several thousand links though. Care to point it out for me?
Anyways Toad - if you can point out to me on that site where a re-vote is out of the question on legal grounds I'd be grateful.

Yes, I think this will result in some reforms. Obviously in ballots themselves. I also hope for more precise identification and confirmation of legal voters. I'd like to see more careful oversight of voting times, places and the ballot boxes themselves. We've taken all this for granted too long. It's quite obvious now the process is too important to treat casually. It has underscored the importance of one vote.

I'm not "dinging" you for being a Canadian and perhaps I was a bit premptory there. However, I do get a bit miffed at times when people don't avail themselves of the information available to them with a few quick clicks on a Web Browser. I apologize for being a bit short, I shouldn't have included you in that opinion.

IMHO, a revote on a National Office isn't really a Florida issue. That's why I pointed to the FEC link. There is a reason why we all vote on one day.

I don't think it would be reasonable or fair to allow one state to re-vote for President after they have had a look a what all the other states did.

Would anyone approve of an election in 2004 that made 49 states vote on the 1st Tuesday of November but let California wait until the 3rd Tuesday?

No, that would be patently unfair and incorrect. Yet this is essentially what some want for Florida.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2000, 02:46:00 PM »
You Republicans are right, the people have spoken:

Gore: 49,108,420
Bush: 48,889,821

Offline Rooster

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2000, 02:55:00 PM »
And the Electoral College is just an anachronism, we should ignore "this" vote, right?  I guess that 200+ years as a written law is a bit confusing

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by banana:
You Republicans are right, the people have spoken:

Gore: 49,108,420
Bush: 48,889,821

Yep

Bush: 271 Electoral Votes
Gore: 260 Electoral Votes

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
I'm fully aware that Bush will win because of the electoral college. I was merely pointing out that more voters want Gore to be president than Bush.

Pretty hard to deny, or should I say swallow,  that fact, eh?

[This message has been edited by banana (edited 11-10-2000).]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2000, 03:12:00 PM »
Well, Gore does lead by a whopping .00223064%.

Of course, not all ballots are counted in all states....and the absentee ballots are not counted in all states...and the recounts are not complete...and the recounts of the recounts are not complete yet.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »
Actually Eagler,

Bush: 246 Electoral Votes

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »
Don't forget the fact that Bush (and Gore) have received more of the popular vote than Clinton did in either of his two elections. Seems he, Clinton, did alright with the populous (how, I sure as heck don't know).

Please those numbers are fluid and changing by the day..

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline LuckyDay

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dailyplanetmusic.com
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2000, 03:27:00 PM »
Oh, I see the problem now...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2000, 03:30:00 PM »

Actually Eagler,

Bush: 246 Electoral Votes

Nope Nash
We are both wrong, you forgot FL and I just heard they took New Mexico away from gore. Too close to call  

Eagler

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2000, 03:30:00 PM »
They've been that way for 2 days now and wont change for another week... at the very earliest.

That Gore leads the Popular vote AND  the Electoral College is not up for dispute.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2000, 03:31:00 PM »
banana as I see you are in this camp of "majority rules", you then have to admit that Clinton has been in office by being elected by a minority vote,right?

Bush & Perot represent the majority and Dole and Perot represent yet another majority that were refused office,right???

I just don't understand why you feel the rules need to be changed!!!  The rules were fine for the last 2 elections, why should they be changed now???

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »
Brrzzzzzt. Wrong Eagler. I didn't forget Florida.... It belongs to neither of them.

New Mexico's status now doesn't change Gore's lead in both the Popular and Electoral College.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2000, 03:36:00 PM »
1776, all I said is that Gore has more votes than Bush. Am I wrong?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2000, 03:39:00 PM »

Brrzzzzzt. Wrong Eagler. I didn't forget Florida.... It belongs to neither of them.

New Mexico's status now doesn't change Gore's lead in both the Popular and Electoral College.

Trust me, Florida is Bush's. New Mexico is unknown at the moment. When it's all said and done it wouldn't surprise me that Bush wins both. Seems voting corruption is surfacing everywhere today.

Eagler