Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 34913 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
Originally posted by MAG1C
For those complaining about the "empty" arenas, give it some time.  People will be shifting around to find the arena and plane set they find most challenging or comfortable.  

But there are still 3 arenas for (for example) about 100 - 150 people total. You won´t see a rapid increase in players at non-us times.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2006, 06:25:27 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
I strongly disagree.

Name another software company where you can talk to the owners and lead programmers just by picking up the phone. Or where you can email and get a response the same day. Or where programmers will actually help you get the software running. Or where the lead designer will take ideas to the group and actually listen when he hears one he likes. (Look at the original ENY threads.)

DO NOT make the mistake of confusing "responsive management" with "wont make a decision unless I approve of it." Leadership by committee fails, every time. Thats why armies have generals, and companies have CEO's.

There comes a time when the guy in charge makes a call. When he sees what needs to be done, and uses his skills and judgement to decide. Thats the way it should be.

And while you're busy slamming, dont forget ...while its a game to you, its his business, his source of income, and his future. He piled his money into the hopper to get it started. If he ignored his customers' interest, the company would have died long ago.

SO do you really think he's going to blow off what's best for his customer out of sheer arrogance? No way...

Simaril-

Far too difficult in this medium to get much more involved in this.  I'll just say, I've watched HiTech's responses to a number of issues, both verbally in here, and through their actions.  While there have been things I've wanted them to do or not do, my main complaint was how little they seemed to care about how a LARGE number of people felt about an issue.  It's more often their approach and technique, and yes, sometimes their inane reasoning for why they do/don't do something.
I know this is their living, which is why I'm so confused.   There have been times when I've felt like they are thumbing their nose at us.  It's like they're saying, "We're gonna do it this cause we don't want to be bothered otherwise, and we don't care if anyone or everyone doesn't like it.  You'll keep paying no matter what."
And yet, I know this can't really be their true attitude.  I mean I know this is basically a good company.  I just don't understand how this company can be so paradoxical.  The concept is great, even fantastic.  And customer service for connection problems, etc. is great too.  It's after that that their attitude elludes me.   I know this is a tremendous headache, trying to manage an addiction for several thousand people, but their style and approach seems so wrong sometimes.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
....a couple of things in the pipeline that we believe will provide an influx of players.

I'm taking this to meaning Combat Tour is almost out and that is where the influx of players is coming from?
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline MAG1C

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2006, 06:27:57 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
This is a very good point about HiTech.  They are often very HiHanded in how they treat their customers.  Or, they just don't really think it through.  Your statement could apply to what happened when they ruined the DA a few months ago by turning Killshooter on.  They really don't seem to care that in spite of their "ultimate dream" for the game, they do have an obligation to the people who are paying to help them get there.

I'll have to disagree strongly about this point.  I my opinion HTC is very involved with this game, observing what is going is going on and listening to the players.  Unlike a previous on-line flight sim that I played which had a corporate mind set. To them it was a only one business of many.  They made major program updates, without notice, just before scenarios were started (driving the scenario command staffs crazy with performance changes and bugs).  In short, in comparison HTC is a pleasure to work with.

Offline Triumph

• Copper Member
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Like I said...HTC...I challenge you to re-open the old MA, and let the community speak for its self...If after 24 hour's the #'s are still evenly distributed, and the old MA doesnt get the support I imagine it would then I think it will shut all of us up, and we will accept this new change....BUT...If the old main arena becomes the dominant arena for those 24 hours then I think you are seeing a mandate from the people who feed you every night....  I think its worth a shot...does anyone else agree?

indeed
<<<Triumph>>>

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2006, 06:30:13 PM »
Agreed !!  I'm amazed at the number of posts about this subject and the arena arrangement that's only been in use for a day.  For those complaining about the "empty" arenas, give it some time.  People will be shifting around to find the arena and plane set they find most challenging or comfortable.  The Early War Arena was at the top of the arena logon list so of course it initially got the most players.

Wow.. every now and then there's a post that makes me go.. :confused:

okay not the right icon but ya... 2.5 months in the game now.  Had I found this site yesterday I honestly would have wondered what all the fuss was about.  I would have gone about doing my thing the way I did when I first signed on and would have probably sucked just as badly.

For all of you who do not like the change, and trust me there are things about it I don't like, may I suggest giving it a couple of weeks to see how things shake out?

Since the commercials on the Military Channel started up there has been a large influx of 'new blood' and you never know.  Perhaps ALL of the arenas will fill up with this new blood and everybody will be happy.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2006, 06:33:47 PM »
I, for one,  find it a unique challenge and a learning experience because it breaks the "habits" of flying just a few rides and forces us all to be more flexible.  I like flying different planes and it sure makes it hard to try and learn the 109-E4 when you are surrounded by LA-7's, C-202's, 205's etc,  you get my meaning...
The MA had a number of players dedicated to a specific plane or vehicle and they are now rethinking their ride, tactics and all!  Bravo HTC.

Now, to add back to the match or mix....... what about adding NIGHT TIME!!  Yes, a strictly Night OPS Arena.  Rotate it like the others but model it say, early models this week, mid models next week, late models the following week and the 4th week....the old MA format with everything turned on! (except the sun) :O  ...it shall never see the light of day! . . . ever!!  Dark all the time.... :t  (I know, not all planes are night fighters or bombers-we night owls don't care and those who don't like it can leave!!) It's a great opportunity for night tactics too!
I made a movie  :)   Hog Night Out
:aok :aok

K-KEN  
High Flight
http://www.cutthroats.com/

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »
Originally posted by USRanger
Yes, the furballers did win, because they cried the longest & loudest.  Now THEY are the one's trashing people on the threads who don't want to play their way.  Go figure.

Couldn't have said it better myself.:aok

I am trying to give the new arenas a fair chance.  But, when I log on between 6:30 and 7:30pm and find only 75 people on (except for the early arena which is full and closed)  there is very little to excite me.  One must remember that when there are only 75 people on, if they were distributed evenly, that is only 25 people per side for the entire map.  

I just flew around for more than an hour looking for a fight.  The only other planes I could find were the ones that were vulching the field I upped from.  Oh, I thought you said this great fix was going to put an end to "field vulching."  Not hardly... Field vulching is now easier as there is less people to up and hold it.  Now one or two planes seem to be able to hold a steady cap.  

So far, my assessment of this "miracle" change is the opposite of what it was supposed to be.  The "better one-on-one" fights are now less and I am finding that no one wants to fight other planes.   The only thing I have seen is the field vulching.  If they can't have the vulch... they run like 6 year old school girls.  Isn't this what the big complaint was before?  At least before we had the numbers to defend and we had the numbers to herd the little sheep back to the pasture to be killed.

My assessment... the late war arenas are about as exciting as watching turtles hump; and, the early war arena is always full.
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Triumph

• Copper Member
Am I the only one that feels this way?
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2006, 06:37:41 PM »
Re: Am I the only one that feels this way?

Ok...this multi-arena thing os ok but I think they should have left the main arena as it was. I can't find the guys in my squad. I've got to search 5 arenas every 15 min and try to round them up. I cought one guy taking bases in the arena with 6 people in it, another bombing deserted strat-targets, and another HO-ing everything in sight with a HURRI-2C in the early arena.

Bring back the main arena...and keep the extra arenas for the 2% that actually want them.

If an arena is full...I cant even get in to round up the guys in my squad.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
<<<Triumph>>>

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Originally posted by Sloehand
Simaril-

Far too difficult in this medium to get much more involved in this.  I'll just say, I've watched HiTech's responses to a number of issues, both verbally in here, and through their actions.  While there have been things I've wanted them to do or not do, my main complaint was how little they seemed to care about how a LARGE number of people felt about an issue.  It's more often their approach and technique, and yes, sometimes their inane reasoning for why they do/don't do something.
I know this is their living, which is why I'm so confused.   There have been times when I've felt like they are thumbing their nose at us.  It's like they're saying, "We're gonna do it this cause we don't want to be bothered otherwise, and we don't care if anyone or everyone doesn't like it.  You'll keep paying no matter what."
And yet, I know this can't really be their true attitude.  I mean I know this is basically a good company.  I just don't understand how this company can be so paradoxical.  The concept is great, even fantastic.  And customer service for connection problems, etc. is great too.  It's after that that their attitude elludes me.   I know this is a tremendous headache, trying to manage an addiction for several thousand people, but their style and approach seems so wrong sometimes.

Sloehand.. have you ever attempted to address the desires, needs, wants, etc, of several thousand people?   I have and trust me it's a headache on it's best day.  I've never personally interacted with any of the staff of HTC other than to change my callsign but, from people I know and trust, it's a group of people trying to put out the best product they can.  Sometimes they are going to make decisions that aren't popular with some people and those people are going to gripe.  Perhaps in the gripes there are little gems that can be added to the mix but generally there are reasons for not doing so.  

For instance take a look at Simarils thread on bomber modeling (this forum).  That is a very well thought out, reasonable, and realistic, request.  Guess what?   It's not going to happen today.

Keep in mind there are only so many hours in a day, week, year, and it looks to me that the hours at HTC are pretty full.  

Give your suggestions and gripes but with the realization that even if it makes sense and is realistic to you you are not the person that has to implement the change or make the decision to 'p*** off' a segment of the membership that doesn't like it that way.

Looks to me like there's around 4000 people that play and about 200 that post on these boards.  Newsflash everybody we're about .05 percent of the populace.  

The boards are a place to get the vibe but they apparantly aren't representative of the membership at large.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2006, 06:38:33 PM »
I think this is wonderful :)

Then again I also think the late war arena should have all planes enabled for those who like taking a Hurri I or whatever up against Lala's.

95% of the people in that arena will probably just stick to the late war planes, anyway, so I don't think it will turn anything into a "mini-MA" anymore then having a La7 enabled already has.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Triumph

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
I'll have to disagree strongly about this point.  I my opinion HTC is very involved with this game, observing what is going is going on and listening to the players.  Unlike a previous on-line flight sim that I played which had a corporate mind set. To them it was a only one business of many.  They made major program updates, without notice, just before scenarios were started (driving the scenario command staffs crazy with performance changes and bugs).  In short, in comparison HTC is a pleasure to work with.

I agree this is why I offer my opinion.
<<<Triumph>>>

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2006, 06:43:25 PM »
OK hitech tell me the data you use to meassure the health??? of the areana? Like to know which questions you asked yourself? seriously.
Pyro You state alot of people like the changes...will you please go and tally the positive ones from the negative and see how the percentages break down? before you state "alot of people like the changes?" Or I will do it for you if you like!..Need some objectivitiy here.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2006, 06:46:58 PM »
The only thing the new arena format seems to have ACTUALLY changed is who's angry about not being able to fly their ride.

Wasn't this supposed to stop the proliferation of "I can't fly what I want because !" followed by  "Oh suck it up and just deal with it?"
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2006, 06:57:50 PM »
just got back from a sortie in early war - thanks again for the changes!!!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals