Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 35997 times)

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »
I have seen guyz that have been here from the start that dislike the chage. Its there company and they will do what they want or what they think is best. My question is what "complaints" prompted the change? Why not give  the early war furballers the early arena and combine the mid and late for MA type guyz. Only real problem i see with this is that guyz will start to whine in the early arena because of land grabbing just like they did in the AvA or CT. I am not against change! I think this one could have been thought out a little better. A fact finding forum, thenfigure out how to change it.
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2006, 09:13:02 PM »
Originally posted by Bode
All you had to do was perk the freaking LA7 and Spit 14, :furious :furious

Spit 14 was already perked... ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2006, 09:14:51 PM »
Originally posted by NCLawman
I am trying to give the new arenas a fair chance.  

Call me skeptical.

- oldman

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2006, 09:15:43 PM »
Think that whoever done/does the Marketing for HT better come up with a new hobby to do during the week, going by a lot of the posts in this forum.
I'm guessing that a lot of the young ones who fly will be seeking pastures new as they can't do what they used to be able to do.
Doesn't really matter what you think about the changes, it's done, but I would be watching that bottom line at the end of the Month if I was HT.

Can see the idea in trying to grow a  small business, especially were the main players of the company are so easy to reach via outlets such as these and so are up there to be fired at and I take my hat off to them in that regard.
It's one thing to have a hobby and do things for fun and make a bit of cash here and there, but it's another to grow that business into something that you can retire on.
Maybe they have a new marketing plan and their target customer is different from what they have right now? Maybe they are expecting a huge influx of new customers by as yet unseen marketing campaign?
either way, it'll be an interesting few weeks/months.

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »
Originally posted by Gary26
I have seen guyz that have been here from the start that dislike the chage. Its there company and they will do what they want or what they think is best. My question is what "complaints" prompted the change? Why not give  the early war furballers the early arena and combine the mid and late for MA type guyz. Only real problem i see with this is that guyz will start to whine in the early arena because of land grabbing just like they did in the AvA or CT. I am not against change! I think this one could have been thought out a little better. A fact finding forum, thenfigure out how to change it.

Think what happened is a bunch of furballers turned up at the con and droned on for hours about the  need for change.
Just my guess mind you...

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2006, 09:18:42 PM »
Originally posted by TexInVa
I think it's fantastic that I can fly my Zero or Spit-IX or TBM against other early war aircraft, get into a tangle or three and not worry about being cherry picked by some B-n-Z'n LA-7 or P-51 or N1K1 or Spit-XVI. What I thought sucked about the old arena was that to survive, I had to up the same rides. I don't like those planes.

I'm very satisfied with the new setup... :aok

....hmmmm....

This is a man who needs to visit AvA.

- oldman

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2006, 09:19:51 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert1
. . .I think the EA is crowded because so many players have really wanted to try those planes but their ability to do so was hampered by having to deal with 1945 rocketships zooming them then running away. . .

Good lord it wasn't that hard to get kills and LAND them in the MA.  No need to vulch or pick from inside a horde either.   That was the great thing about getting kills in the old MA with the hurri mk1, if you got a kill, the enemy pilot messed up enough to let you kill them.  It was great.

Plus one other thing.  Can you put a something in that will change us to the arena automatically when we select a new ride?  Meaning if I am in the early and want to fly the 190f8 the program checks the arenas #'s if there is room is logs me in over there.  Would be nice to at least get something that will let us "step" from one arena to another and know there is cap room.  Just a thought ;)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2006, 09:21:15 PM »
My fingers are starting to tremble.

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2006, 09:24:16 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
....hmmmm....

This is a man who needs to visit AvA.

- oldman

I tried it. Wide open spaces, nobody around. I got excited when I read about it, then spent a couple of days trying to find a fight.

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2006, 09:24:19 PM »
HTC!
It's nice to have ENY adjusted but I was sure that ENY based on players in flight not logged in. Now it's clear that I was wrong. Right now (10:15 PM EST) on middle war arena:

Bish      41  30 34.5%  7.2
Knight  53  28 44.5%  28.4
Rooks  25  22 21%      0.0

(Screen shot is available upon request)
It was not so important when numbers were out of sky but now... it looks not so good.
Hey, recalculate ENY limit even on my old laptop takes less than microsecond!

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2006, 09:24:50 PM »
Gary25, sorry but 25 people out of several thousand is a drop in the bucket.

Granted, I haven't been able to log in for a week (work commitments), but frankly the MA was stale. Couple that with the amount of people "in game or on account" the move HTC made seems logical to me.

There is an opportunity here (because of the large player base) to expand the game.  HTC is a business, and that's the name of the game. Aces High needs to grow, and has needed to grow bigger for a while now IMHO.

Hang out for a while and see what the changes bring. I can guarantee you that Dale & Company are going to supply the best online combat flight sim for at least until I un-subscribe (and you can pry Aces High out of my cold dead hands).

People don't like change...we are a pack animal much like wolves. But we adapt and progress. That's why we are at the top of the food chain today.

So....lets see where this goes...AH IS the top of the online combat flight sim food chain.

Give it a bit...see what evolves.

just my humble $.02

RTR
The Damned

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2006, 09:30:04 PM »
Originally posted by Gary26
My question is what "complaints" prompted the change?

Gary did you read the beginning of this thread?
Pyro sayz
Why did you make this change?

We made this change because it will allow us to support an unlimited amount of players in a much healthier online environment that gives us better long-term growth. The single MA has grown to the point of being unhealthy. This is not a subjective evaluation, it is quantifiable and they are numbers that we look at every day. Its obvious that we simply cannot keep pumping more players into a single arena without hitting a stagnation point.

Hawco Think what happened is a bunch of furballers turned up at the con and droned on for hours about the need for change.
Just my guess mind you...

That would be a wrong guess...:rolleyes:

Its has been said by many of us, Laz, RTR, TexInVa, etc... you have to give it some time.  Hitech and Co will tweak it and all will be right in the world again.   Fear not you dweebs...
And Yes Propnut,  as I see it this is the return of Aces High of old, the way it used to be before HT lowered the price from $30 to $15

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2006, 09:30:04 PM »
That kind of attitude wont be tolerated in here RTR! The sky is falling, cant you see it!?!

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »
Well the change was most likely made because they are testing their new infrastructure for CT or TOD or whatever it is called now.  Likely CT will require multiple "arenas" to maintain the mission setup, after all you cannot have 10 major bombing strikes all airborne at once.  That is not very realistic.  Missions will likely up every half an hour and 4 or more servers will be needed to rotate in players.

They are therefore attempting to gain some favor with the whiners who constantly try and tell the other guy that he cannot do or fly in the manor which his or her $'s allow him or her too.  While testing for their own nefarious purposes.

There, that's my conspiracy theory for the week.  :noid

Course it would have worked better if the missings planes and tanks required to make diversity in the early and mid war arenas had been added.

Oh, night 2 and I still don't like it FWIW.  Squadron split up and unable to find each other.  Eny troubles and mid war perk planes hoing and vulching early war planes as bad as the LA7s and Spit16s.  It isn't the arena that is a slum, its the people who fly in an arena that turn it such.

Oh love the statement below, obviously a military historian.

Originally posted by TexInVa

I think it's fantastic that I can fly my Zero or Spit-IX[/i] or TBM against other early war aircraft[/i], get into a tangle or three and not worry about being cherry picked by some B-n-Z'n LA-7 or P-51 or N1K1 or Spit-XVI. What I thought sucked about the old arena was that to survive, I had to up the same rides. I don't like those planes.

I'm very satisfied with the new setup... :aok
 :rofl :aok
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »
Regarless of people quiting or not its not our company and the changes are here to stay. More like 18 pages of beating a dead horse. The concept needs to be re-planned. I dont wanna fly early war but Late is full. None of my squaddies are in Mid war and there are only 25 people in late war 2. That is my whole gripe. Why so many dam arenas. Rather pointless i think. Ive talked to many of the early war guyz and they are in it for the fight, and thats great. Combine the other 3 and eliminate the "populatin" problems. I have stuck with this game from AH1, i just think the new format should have been implamented better.i.e. imput from customers. Looks to me like the complaints are all largely the same. over-populated, under-populated, lopsided etc. etc.
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4