Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 34883 times)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2006, 02:31:15 PM »
If anything, there needs to be a cap for the # of players from each country in each arena.
A little ridiculous to log on and see 175 Bishops, 20 Rooks, and 5 Knights (for example).

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
What are you talking about Pyro?  Do you know how many people flew extremely early war planes in the old Main Arena?

that is only because we did not have an early plane room like we do now :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
Raider, all I can hope is that you give it a fair shake and have a change of heart.  As for the car wreck, I don't know about that.  I don't know anybody who likes getting into accidents yet there are a lot of people here who like the change.  As for change, that is what drives Aces High.  Always had, always will.  If we were unwilling or afraid to make change, we'd still be at version 1.00 and people would have stopped playing a long time ago.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »
Originally posted by SKJohn
If anything, there needs to be a cap for the # of players from each country in each arena.
A little ridiculous to log on and see 175 Bishops, 20 Rooks, and 5 Knights (for example).

great idea but can you imagine the whines?
better to adjust the planes available based on the over-run percentages, like it is now but to a greater extreme
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2006, 02:41:11 PM »
If anything the ack needs to be more leathal in the early war...  it was great.. the runway divers were being blown out of the sky in their early rides.... no free vultches like with the late war planes.

Two sides would be ok I think but the maps are wrong for that aren't they?

and... the ma was just as HT said... defined by late war planes allmost exclusively...  very rare to see an early war plane..

My take is that if nothing else....  when a new plane is brought out that isn't as fast as a peeee 51 or has 4 or more cannons....

There will be a place for it... people can find a use for the early Ki and french planes and buffalo and such.

lots of cool early war planes that weren't worth the trouble to develop in the late war only (if you wanted to survive) old ma.

Being able to toggle through the maps and move from a field in one map to one in the other without logging off would be cool..

closer fields for the early war maps would seem to make sense too.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »
I know I know its way off topic!
However how do you make these {’" } ultra l33t symbols??
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2006, 02:45:41 PM »
Raider, there is no doubt that life with 200 players on will be different than life with 500 players on.

But think for a second. How many of those 500 did you see when you sortied? Most likely, 20 or 30 at most. That continues to be completely possible in the new setup.

What WILL be different is the available manpower for group activities. The days of 40 plane missions may well be gone. But that doesnt mean that group activities are trashed. In fact, they may get even more interesting!

See, when a mission or squad op hits a base, the resistance has very little chance to be effective purely because of the numbers. While it feels good to be part of an organized wave that finally takes a base (or crushes the attackers), its even more fun to be clever about it.

Now, instead of that group hitting with overwhelming force, your smaller unit may have to adjust its tactics to be faster or smarter. You can still have fun doing what you love, just do it differently. Play to your strengths, applied to the new challenges.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2006, 02:45:53 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
What are you talking about Pyro?  Do you know how many people flew extremely early war planes in the old Main Arena?

Hmm, last month's MA stats...

LA-7 - 38623 kills, 32787 deaths
N1K2 - 35316 kills, 28550 deaths
SpitXVI - 33120 kills, 31638 deaths
P-51D - 25428 kills, 24764 deaths
Tempest - 7154 kills, 1278 deaths

P-40B - 310 kills, 1415 deaths
SpitI - 387 kills, 2047 deaths
Hurri Mk1 - 779 kills, 2588 deaths
P-38G - 1352 kills, 1508 deaths
Bf109F4 - 1780 kills, 1713 deaths (wtg luftwaffles!)

I don't think there can really be any question about which were by far the predominate aircraft in the MA in both quantity and kill ratios. The stats are online, and we can see them. Therefore, Pyro I'm sure has access to them also, and probably quite a bit more arena demographics data than we have.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2006, 02:49:16 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Being able to toggle through the maps and move from a field in one map to one in the other without logging off would be cool..

Wormholes!!!!

Perked wormholes!!!!

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »
I like the format a-lot, but the arenas I want to use, mid / late 1-2, were either near empty, or had extreme number changes that kiled the fun.

Having 35 dudes digitally asshammer you and your 6 country-mates gets dull in a hurry.

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 02:52:37 PM »
Only problem I have with it is that when I logged in last night around midnight or so, there were only 30-40 players in each of the arena's, that's no fun... I took a base by myself in a lil under 15 minutes. If I had 3 or 4 more people with me we could have reset the map and gone on a complete score potato run. I think a healthy arena should have at least 150 players in it or its just not worth it, IMO

But I understand why it had to be done and know that changes will be made in the future that will make it allot funner, but right now basically unless you want to fly early war models only, then your gonna be in an arena with only 30-40 other players just doing porkruns and buff scorepotato missions.

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 02:56:18 PM »
Pryo I like and dont like the change. I like it because now if you want to fly withint a period you can. Just a thought I mentioned it on 200 and most people seem to like this idea. How about cutting down to 2 arenas. Early to Mid and Mid to Late Arena.
If not can we place a limt on the amount of players that one country has. I mean say which ever country can flood a given arean to the point where they outnumber the other sides combined 5 to 1 and are on a mad dash to reset the map. People will long in and turn around go to another arena. People arrive in that arean till they have the numbers and begin the mad dash for the reset. The sides outnumbered go to different arean and so forth and so on.
Me I fly mainly Hurricane IIC and since it is available I have no issuse with the intended idea. I know there are going to alot of bugs to work out. Please look at the arenas and make some slight adjustments as needed. IE in the early war Arena GV battles are pathetic at best due to being stuck with the T-34 and its excessive reload time. Since the Panzer was techincally a early war tank it should also be available through out.

Now I really dont like the look of this but not to kiss arnold but you havent lead us the wrong way before and willing to give it time to see how things work out.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 02:56:22 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179

3)If the caps don't go back up to around 500 or more on an arena, I am gone. Had you told me this change BEFORE you charged my account I would already have cancelled. You as the company I would have thought owed the community a little "head's up" because this is a drastic change. Instead you charge me $15 bucks and then promptly alter the game that I used to love so much. Not very professional...

I agree, well said

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »
Pyro: will there be a need for the AvA arena now that we have historical dated aircraft arenas?  That was the premise of the arena, albeit the Axis verus Allies is the main focus.

I like this setup, although if we're going to have mid and late war arena's, retiring the older aircraft would seem logical.  For example, the Spitfire I would have no business in the Late War arena.  If the underpinning theme is late war, I would expect 'late war' only.  That way it doesn't become a mini-MA again - which is what you don't want.  

Question: Are you planning to tweak the arena's as to what is available based on usage or are you sticking to the historical entry dates a buch of us have collected on the aircraft service dates (or your own)?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents.  Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome.   come on guys its only been 1 day since the change give it some time.

I like the change.  I logged on about 5:30pm.  I flew for about an hour and half in the Early War arena.  Plenty of fights.   got discod, when I went to log back in it was 249/250.   Decided to go check out the Mid War arena.  Not a lot there, 36/250.   I flew/fought for about 30 minutes or so.  Kinda reminded me of the old Aces High 6 years ago when you logged on late at night.  bunch of guys milk runnin bases.   I then popped in to the Late War arena.  it was about 190/250.    Flew there about an hour or so, had a few good fights.   got discod again.  On and off for the 4 hours or so I was on last night numbers were always high on Early War area I dont think I ever saw less than 200.   Late War was about 100 to 200, up and down.  Mid War arena I dont think I ever saw the numbers go over 100 but I wasnt watching it that close.  
I started the night at about 22 kills and 14 deaths.  I finished last night with 50 kills and 33 deaths.  I've never gotten that many kills in one night before.  I usually only have time to fly for about 2 hours or so when I log in.  I think it was partially because nobody could run away from a fight, I wasnt spending all my time chasing down La7s, P51s, and Typhoons.
I think the P-38g and 190A5 could be perked for a little less.  I wish the bases where a little closer together.

I would like to see the cap raised to at least 300.